I live in an apartment building in new york city so i can't turn my amp up without my neighbors complaining. I play a Marshall mg10 and with the volume on half it is too much. But anything lower than that doesnt sound good specially with overdrive. the mg10 has a headphone jack which would be the perfect solution if it didn't sound like ****. but who buys an amp to play through headphones anyway. Any players who live in apartment buildings have any suggestions? Soundproofing my room doesn't sound too practical and im still a student so I don't have the half million dollars to buy a house.
sorry but soundproofing really does sound to be the only option dude, and that is expensive, maybe try some amp simulation software like amplitube or something for the computer, those sound pretty good for just jamming around
you shud get a group of guys to go to a recording studio and like jam there for an hour a week, wud work out like £15 each
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
dude lots and lots of egg cartons they absorb sound just tape to walls peace
THE KREATOR OF THE ALL METAL AND KERRY KING GROUP PM ME TO JOIN
Proud BLACK 13 Owner
RIP Charles Michael "Chuck" Schuldiner THE FATHER OF DEATH METAL
GOD HATES US ALL-SLAYER
Quote by vamprocker
dude lots and lots of egg cartons they absorb sound just tape to walls peace

well, actually, they don't. I've tried
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Have you thought about the type of headphones you're using? Headphones can have a big impact on how your amp sounds. Using cheap headphones can make an even good amp sound like poop.

Try out some new headgear.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
i have a fender G-DEC that when i play in drop C sounds ...meh

but when i put on my Bose headphones i can get a almost perfect disturbed tone
Quote by Hakael
Have you thought about the type of headphones you're using? Headphones can have a big impact on how your amp sounds. Using cheap headphones can make an even good amp sound like poop.

Try out some new headgear.

well the fact that its an MG doesn't help...
the only thing i could suggest would be to live with it...
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Good headphones run up to about $100. The pair I have that I'm especially proud of were $80 and are amazing, but I also got them on sale. If you want a great sounding way to practice. Look at the pocket pod. Lots of fun toys in it, inexpensive, and you can run your headphones through it.
Quote by Vale_Deo
Good headphones run up to about $100. The pair I have that I'm especially proud of were $80 and are amazing, but I also got them on sale. If you want a great sounding way to practice. Look at the pocket pod. Lots of fun toys in it, inexpensive, and you can run your headphones through it.

he said he doesnt want headphones
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
part of Trumpet Player's Alliance
Pimus sucks group
80s rock group
Quote by frozen_soul
ummm testicular cancer?
Actually, he said that headphones would be great if they didn't sound terrible and the most likely culprit, aside from the amp, would be the quality of the headphones being used.

Trying to soundproof a room (decently) would still be even more expensive than a good pair of headphones. The best way I've done it is with egg-crate foam (same stuff that some places sell as a soft bed top) tacked up onto the walls, and somewhat heavy curtains to drape over the windows and over the doorway.

TS, if you have a GC (or Sam Ash) nearby, try this. Take your amp into the store with you and tell them you'd like to try some headphones with it (take your guitar too if you want, but not really needed in this case). Then start plugging different headphones in and trying them out. Even with the MG, I'm sure you'll hear some major differences.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
I have a Digitech RP 250 that has a headphone jack on it which I use with fairly cheap wireless headphones for practicing when my girlfriend is sleeping. The sound is pretty good. The effects pedal isn't cheap but it does have some great features.... the headphone jack just being an extra option that I find particularly useful.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson DC Pro Custom shop
Fender American Stratocaster - Vintage custom
Fender Squier Strat
Fender Standard Telecaster
I had the same problem man, I played in my garage...neighbours called the police multiple times. I just blared it, but they were stupid lesbians. Old, wrinkly ones. That's not the point, though.

I'd say try and work out a schedule with them, or if worse comes to worse, ask their permission, haha. OR, play songs that they like and know, so they won't mind as much?
thanx for all the responses first of all. yea an mg10 isnt the greatest amp but i use a digitech rp100 and it makes the hell of a difference so it's not the amp cuz when i play without headphones it sounds pretty good, i use some sony in-ear headphones that i got for $50

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.action?product=MDR-EX81SL&productsku=MDREX81SLW.CE7&site=odw_en_GB&pageType=Overview&imageType=Main&category=HDO+Performance+In-ear#tab

i think ill go to guitarcenter or sam ash and see if i can try out their headphones. thanx again!
I'd get some nice headphones and buy the Line 6 Pod XT. Has a ton of effects built in, amp models, cab models and costs roughly $300. You should be also able to hook it up to your pc and listen through your speakers and also record this way if your soundcard is good enough. Its an option you could look into and would give you a ton of settings you can mess around it rather then just getting an amp and a few effects.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst