F

e -x-|---|---|---|---|
B -x-|---|---|---|---|
G ---|-x-|---|---|---|
D ---|---|-x-|---|---|
A ---|---|-x-|---|---|
E -x-|---|---|---|---|

WHAT THE HECK?? How do I play that?? Please don't laugh!!
Newbie guitar player and do my fingers hurt!
use your first finger to bar the first fret then use your other fingers to form an "E" shape
put your index finger over all of the first frets... pinky and ring finger over the third frets on the 5 and 4 string and middle finger on the 2nd fret on the 3rd string
Quote by innertom
So much down syndrome

remember UG Community? thought so.
really?? Do you guys like lie to the newbies? LOL
barre the 1st fret w/ ur index finger, play the 3rd on the A string w/ ur ring finger, the 3rd fret on the D string w/ ur pinky, and the 2nd fret on the G string w/ ur middle

alternately, if u can use ur thumb, use that for the E string and the same for the rest except ur only barring the 1st and 2nd strings w/ ur index finger
My Gear:
Fender '72 Tele Thinline Deluxe Reissue
Vox Night Train 15W
do you know what a barre chord is? cause this is one

index finger across all six strings, ring finger on A string, pinky on D string, middle on G.
I think I get it and this is my first barre chord lol
if you wanna start with barre chords dont start with F
start with A (same pattern but barre the fifth fret)
F is a harder barre chord
There's a place where a depth charge ignites.
yah know...this can be a bit overwhelming lol. Ok...A first..got it. Thank you!
or... u could play it this way:

e---1--|
B---1--|
G---2--|
D---3--|
A-------|
E-------|

u mite find that easier, and i think it sounds better ;]
Quote by britneyspears69
I got my first guitar recently and people are telling me to get pickups. I don't get it. What do they do? Do they help you when you drop your pick?
I am now totally confused...sigh..NOT GIVING UP THOUGH! Besides I don't think my fingers are long enough lol
Aaah the dreaded F chord. I could never understand it when I started playing. I eventuall adopted the Jimi Hendrix approach and used my thumb to fret the low E string, although this is a bad habit admittedly, it helped me play songs that were once impossible until I learned barre chords. Also TS, if you know how to play an F power chord then you will notice that the strings you fret are part of the formation of the low end of an F chord if that makes any sense. Good luck, I've been in that wrist-achingly hard place too!
Thanks LOL..I would like you to know that tomorrow all I will be doing is trying to get my fingers too stretch so I can get the F done right! ( Wait that didn't sound right loool )
put your finger like this

e -1-|---|---|---|---|
B -1-|---|---|---|---|
G -1-|-2-|---|---|---|
D -1-|---|-4-|---|---|
A -1-|---|-3-|---|---|
E -1-|---|---|---|---|

good luck
Thank you so much! I saved the link and thank you pouprep! So much to learn! At least today I noticed that my fingers are hardening up!
You can really move that anywhere and it'll make a chord, it all depends on what fret you start on.

Ex.
e -1-|---|---|---|---|
B -1-|---|---|---|---|
G -1-|-2-|---|---|---|
D -1-|---|-4-|---|---|
A -1-|---|-3-|---|---|
E -1-|---|---|---|---|
Is an F, because the first fret on the top E string is an F. Likewise, if you move to the fret which make an A, (5th on the E string), it'll make an A, like so:

e -5-|---|---|---|---|
B -5-|---|---|---|---|
G -5-|-6-|---|---|---|
D -5-|---|-7-|---|---|
A -5-|---|-7-|---|---|
E -5-|---|---|---|---|
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
90% of Nirvana songs are played using these kinds of chords. Learn some of them, and you'll get the hang of it.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Just on that jimi thing I could never do barre chords with my thumb. Let me just tell you your fingers are long enough. (may not be true but you might as well assume as you did what to play guitar) If you got a tough steel string acoustic good luck! I had one. Finger pain is nothing till you get wrist pain, but I got totally obsessed by this chord took my a month or two. Every once in a while my wrist would lock up and I would barely be able to move it without pain, on those days I took the rest of the day off and I was back the next day. Every time my wrist stuffed up the next day it seemed a little stronger. Eventually I started to get it, now I pretty much have it, but whenever I hear a muted note I go into a panic attack thinking I have forgotten how to play it. Fm or F7 are probably the hardest, where you have only 2 fingers in front of the barre. If you want to be a true rock god like me fingerpick each note once your got it down and wait for them to ring out, I mean wait till you can't here nothing at all, Notice how it rolls if it stops abruptly or makes a ringing noise it's not good enough, or at least not if your like me, which hopefully your not. A few months ago I went through this whole thing of cleaning up my playing, I decided I had "reached" a fairly good point where I could play everything I wanted, metal solos never really interested me, but the thing that was holding my playing on a lower level was the fact that I had so many half skills, skills I had learnt for a song but never really developed into actual skills of any quality, I had learned so many songs I always wanted to know, but could only play them with a passing resemblance to the actual song, so this chord was one of the things I "knew" how to play for ages but only recently could actually play. My advice is spend the time and learn it right, even if it takes you years its better to be able to play an F chord well when someone asks rather than any solo, lead technik or shred.
Ben Pazolli
-----------------------
Epiphone Dot Studio
VOX Valvetronix VD-30AD
VOX V847 WAH-WAH Pedal
Boss Loop Station RC-2
-----------------------
"The nicest guy you'll ever f............ind"
Ben thank you. I am doing this beginner guitar course online and I am kinda surprised that chord would be one of the first I have to learn! I won't give up!
Quote by Salemsmommy
I am now totally confused...sigh..NOT GIVING UP THOUGH! Besides I don't think my fingers are long enough lol

Make sure the palm of your hand is not touching the neck of the guitar. The only part of your hand that should be touching the neck are your fingertips.

-SD
Quote by Salemsmommy

trust me, your fingers are long enough

Jack my swag
LOL! Ok they are...and thank you so much for the palm tip. I bet I am doing that!
Everybody thinks that their fingers aren't long enough at first, but really they're just too weak and uncoordinated. You'll get over that feeling soon.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Also point the elbow of your fretting hand/arm pointed at your hip and or waist that will twist your hand to allow you to barre or push down all six strings with the side of your finger not the supple fleshy part but the hard boney side of your finger also try switching from the c chord if you know it to the f chord without taking your ring finger off of the fourth string (D) after practice you will be able to play that chord with confidence good luck.
Again thank you~ Gonna try it today! I love these tips!