The time has come where that crappy 21W from the practice amp just isn't good enough anymore, so i'm needing some new amplification. I've narrowed it down to two candidates and here's my reasons for both:

- Ampeg is only 100W, HK is 200W
- Ampeg has the punch =D, but the HK also has a punch option.
- Ampeg is an incredible £269 ($520) - considering it retails at £390 - with free P&P from gak.co.uk:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/ampeg-ba-115/69685
Across the pond that is pretty decent. Dunno about in the US, but I hear everything guitar related is insanely cheap over there compared to here.
- HK is £340.
- I'd be getting the HK from a shop, so i'd have the customer service, rather than some call centre somewhere if the Ampeg goes bust.
- HK has a tube preamp, Ampeg is all SS.
- HK has a compressor, though one of the mid-range style selectors on the Ampeg has a compressed feel to it.
EDIT: I've heard from a few people that the ampeg tweeter hisses, though dialing down the treble can help this.

Both have gain controls, HF tweeters (though only the HK one is switchable) and both have 15" speakers.

I would get a proper head and cab, but I can't afford that right now. Also, don't recommend other stuff; i've tried both of these amps out and i wouldn't want to go with something i've never tried before.

One last thing, can someone explain the difference between a DI out and a balanced line out =S. Also, on the back of the HK there is a jack called "external speaker" which looks like a 6.3mm. Could you connect that to a cab? Could you plug headphones into it?
Yup, i'm a n00b and proud of it
UNLEASH THE F0CKING BURGERS!!

10/2007 - Westfield B4000
10/2007 - Meridian SKAK20BA
01/2008 - Ibanez SR 506
02/2008 - Hughes & Kettner BK 200
Last edited by mrcool123456789 at Feb 8, 2008,
First of all, i'd go with the HK hands down if it is at all close in price to the ampeg. i played one of those cheap ampegs in a shop, and IMHO, it wasnt that great, one could get a lot better for the price.

also, 100w isnt going to get you much of anywhere. it's right in between on volume; too big and loud to be practical for bedroom use, but not quite loud enough to cut it in a band situation.

about the difference betweeen DI and Balanced line out, i think they might be the same but i'll let somebody else answer that one.

and yes, the "external speaker" would be used to hook up to another cab, just make sure the ohm rating matches up to what they suggest.

edit: i just remembered, the tweeter on the Ampeg is has a repuation of hissing like a mofo.
i thought i had magic fingers once, and had uncovered the fountain of love.

turns out my girlfriend was just peeing on me.
Last edited by djsteiner at Feb 8, 2008,
I have the ampeg.

Its pretty nice, great for the price.

I used it at a show for my school, and had it at about a quarter volume.

Sounds good, I like it.

But the only other amps I have to judge against are a Beherenger Practice amp, and my friends 100 watt fender.
You can probably hook it to a cab. I hook up my practice amp to a speaker system for my church worship team... but I think I could do that with either amp you mentioned.
n00bs rok!!!!!!!
I like Ampeg better tonally, but not much can argue with 100 extra watts of boom. If you want punch, you can get that out of any good amp.
do you have a guitarist who you have to turn down? if you do, how big is that flosspickers amp?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
do you have a guitarist who you have to turn down? if you do, how big is that flosspickers amp?

Lol, nah it's just me.

Can you hook the DI out or the balanced line out up to a cab? Or would it only be the 6.3mm jack?

01/2008 - Ibanez SR 506
I own the ampeg and I love the tone, but I would go with the HK for the extra 100 watts
Quote by mrcool123456789

Can you hook the DI out or the balanced line out up to a cab? Or would it only be the 6.3mm jack?

the 6.3mm jack ( i assume that's the metric equivalent to the 1/4 inch used in the United States) would go directly into a cab. however, you could run the DI/balanced line out into a mixer then into a power amp then into another cab, or using creative cabling, run the DI/balanced line out straigt into a power amp and that into a cab.
i thought i had magic fingers once, and had uncovered the fountain of love.

turns out my girlfriend was just peeing on me.
Quote by djsteiner
the 6.3mm jack ( i assume that's the metric equivalent to the 1/4 inch used in the United States) would go directly into a cab. however, you could run the DI/balanced line out into a mixer then into a power amp then into another cab, or using creative cabling, run the DI/balanced line out straigt into a power amp and that into a cab.

Ahh, so the DI/balanced line out comes straight from the pre-amp stage? I.e. you need to hook it up to a power amp before attatching it to a cab?

And i'm assuming you could connect headphones into the 1/4 inch "external speaker" jack........?

01/2008 - Ibanez SR 506
I have the HK BK300, I realy like it the only thing that isn't good is the treble on the amp, when it is on 0 or fully open I don't hear much difference. but maybe it is my bass that sucks ^^
Quote by NoobMuncher3000
BRILLIANT!

Quote by weemansyndrome

(__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.
I'm going tomorrow to try out the HK with my bass. No shop in Glasgow has the ampeg, only the high powered version, which i really liked. Thanks for all your help, guys.

01/2008 - Ibanez SR 506
Only hook up a cab to a cabinet extension speakon or 1/4" jack - balanced out won't be proper and might damage the speaker or output a small amount of signal.

As far as using another power amp, plugging a power amp into the direct out like is a bit excessive. A DI changes the signal from unbalanced to balanced (meaning balanced out = DI), and you don't need to send a balanced signal to a power amp that will unbalance it. For sending the signal to another power amp, use the effects loop. That is, plug the effects loop send into the effects loop return/input of the power amp.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..