Ok, recently started listening to Santana. In one of my favorite pieces of his, Europa, he holds a note for 10-15 seconds without so much as a hint that the note will ever end. On my guitar (fender, if the quality counts against me) the note is dead after a good 5 seconds.

I also play piano. There is a pedal which alows chords to be sustained for longer periods of time. Is this the case for guitar, too? or is there just a special technique that is used to hold notes for longer.
I have an old pedal Boss made called the Feedbacker that does just that - holds a note as long as you hold the pedal down.

Santana usually played humbucker guitars (Gibson, etc...) and he would use feedback from his amp to sustain notes.

Amazing player.
also, theres the fact of your guitar

a solid bridge is better than a floating one/FR

type of wood - heavier wood produces better resonance
Quote by IceTele
I have an old pedal Boss made called the Feedbacker that does just that - holds a note as long as you hold the pedal down.

Santana usually played humbucker guitars (Gibson, etc...) and he would use feedback from his amp to sustain notes.

Amazing player.

hey, we finally agree with each other, Ice (...Slash? lol).

Santana has such a creamy smooth tone, it's just amazing
There's a video of that song on Youtube where he holds a note for about 30 seconds during a percussion solo. I'm pretty sure its the amp feeding back, because that's what I use when I play that song and it sounds about right.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Yeah, it's the amp feeding back. If you can't play loud enough for there to be enough, try a sustainer pedal...I think that's it.
Quote by IceTele

Amazing player.

The PRS....most noticablly