I have a Peavey Grind Bass (6 string). I love it, and it was fine when I bought it. I set the action pretty low, and I'm getting some bad fret buzz the first few frets closest to the nut on a few strings. What would be some courses of action I can take to get rid of this buzz, and how much would these cost / how easy can it be done at home. I could raise the action, but I like the feel and playability of moderately low action. I've heard of getting "Problem frets" filed down, and was wondering how much this would cost, and if its easy / recommended that I do this at home.

Thanks in advance for the help guys.
Ideally, figure out what is causing the buzzing. Raising the action could help, but it might be a neck relief issue, in which case you'd need to adjust the truss rod, which is dangerous if you don't know what you're doing, but its pretty easy as long as you're careful.

I would read up on buzzing before taking any action, especially filing down frets or playing with the truss rod. Here is a good place to start: http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/buzzing.htm

its for guitars, but as far as i know the it's the same idea.
Filing frets is really a last resort. Checking the neck and adjusting the truss is step number one, I'm sure there are a dozen good guides for doing so on here if you use the search bar. Also with a neck through in that price range you might just have to end up compromising somewhere between a wee bit of buzz, or action that is a little too high.
Typically the buzzing of the first few frets is caused by a lack of sufficient neck relief. You need to adjust the truss rod. However, if you take the bass to a shop and tell them to set it up with the lowest action possible, it should be just fine. It'll cost you $50, but it's worth it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Typically the buzzing of the first few frets is caused by a lack of sufficient neck relief. You need to adjust the truss rod. However, if you take the bass to a shop and tell them to set it up with the lowest action possible, it should be just fine. It'll cost you $50, but it's worth it.

Be sure to watch them in action if you do so, and ask questions as they go.. hooray for learning!