Page 1 of 2
well anything by Death From Above 1979 is distorted. all their songs are pretty raucus for just a bassist and a drummer.

oh! and the bass solo on Exit Music for a Film by Radiohead has distortion, its pretty amazing.
anything by lightning bolt, most stuff by The Locust, Cemetery Like a Stage by Norma Jean is distorted also.
Basically all Rage Against the Machine, some Incubus, some Red Hot Chili Peppers (prime example being the intro to Around the World), a good bit of metal and nu-metal. It's used a lot more than you'd figure, it's just generally a lot more subtle that the super gained electric guitar overdrive madness that's so prevalent.
AHEM! Anesthesia (Pulling teeth) By Cliff Burton (RIP) on Kill em' all
/thread
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Jiimy
Basically all Rage Against the Machine, some Incubus, some Red Hot Chili Peppers (prime example being the intro to Around the World), a good bit of metal and nu-metal. It's used a lot more than you'd figure, it's just generally a lot more subtle that the super gained electric guitar overdrive madness that's so prevalent.

Which songs by Rage Against the Machine have distortion?
Quote by oneblackened
AHEM! Anesthesia (Pulling teeth) By Cliff Burton (RIP) on Kill em' all
/thread

yea, that should've takin precedence over all,(shame)
The bass intro to Hysteria by Muse.
UNLEASH THE F0CKING BURGERS!!

10/2007 - Westfield B4000
10/2007 - Meridian SKAK20BA
01/2008 - Ibanez SR 506
02/2008 - Hughes & Kettner BK 200
Quote by destroy_techno
An example please?

I think that ''i could just kill a man'' song has distorted bass, not sure tho.
I'm pretty sure Geddy Lee uses a small amount of distortion.
Quote by silentscream51
Which songs by Rage Against the Machine have distortion?

Testify, Know Your Enemy (in the bridge), Bulls on Parade, Wake Up, Calm Like a Bomb (distortion + wah), War Within a Breath (distortion + wah)... Tim also uses a gnarly overdrive on some Audioslave stuff (Show Me How to Live, Bring 'Em Back Alive) and "Tire Me" by RATM.
Last edited by Charlatan_001 at Feb 8, 2008,
Five to One, by the Doors, if you count Fuzz Pedals.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
sabotage by beastie boys. IMO one of the coolest bass lines ever.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Quote by wildfire1871
Any more?

Look up DFAs stuff the own

Ima a woman your a machine album tab was added by your truly
The intro to I disappear by The Faint has an awesome distorted bass riff. I think Stockholm Syndrome or Supermassive black Hole by Muse also uses distorted bass, as well as, if u really want something, the intro to The Jetset Life is gonna kill you by My Chemical Romance is distorted bass.
Quite a few by the Rollins Band on the Cds: End of the Silence, Weight, & Come in and Burn.
also quite a few Primus' tunes
Metallica - For Whom The Bell Tolls
Metallica - Orion
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by just17n8
most muse songs

indeed.
Chris Wolstenholme (bassist for Muse) is really the only guy who i think does the distorted bass really well.
napalm death is distorted
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Quote by destroy_techno
An example please?

calm like a bomb...(well its distortion and wah)

thats all i could really think of for rage but he uses it alot more in audioslave...during the chorus for Doesn't remind me.....during the solo for drown me slowly......end of what you are i think... and you'll heer an occasional fuzz in most of their songs i believe
Besides the other metallica songs mentioned (anesthesia, orion, for whom the bell tolls) The Call of Ktulu has good wah/dist. combination in it.
definately muse -hysteria (i thought it was the whole song, not just the intro like someone mentioned earlier)
also Time is Running Out by muse has a lot of fuzz.
Plug in Baby seems to have something wierd about it i think.
"Ilya watch out for the pink landrover!"
"What, there's no such thing as a-" and that will be my death.

The demise of the rest of humanity will come with the forces of: the penguin Kleptocracy distracting from the true threat of rubber ducks...
Quote by campCKY
Muse - Starlight

Thats more synthed that distorted.

Although alot of muse does have distorted bass. Big muff + Akai synth FTW!

Quote by Wobbish
definately muse -hysteria (i thought it was the whole song, not just the intro like someone mentioned earlier)

Its the whole song

also Time is Running Out by muse has a lot of fuzz.

Not too sure if its the whole song, seeing as it gets pretty clean on the pre-chorus

Plug in Baby seems to have something wierd about it i think.

yea, distorted too

Also try hypermusic, city of delusion, dead star, futurism and in your world (can't remember anything else muse thats got distorted bass)
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Last edited by IndieMetalhead at Feb 11, 2008,
OK, two pages and no one has mentioned N.I.B. by Black Sabbath. That's pretty amazing to me. Even though it's only the bass intro/solo, it's still distorted/overdriven. Good song, btw.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Your41Plague12
OK, two pages and no one has mentioned N.I.B. by Black Sabbath. That's pretty amazing to me. Even though it's only the bass intro/solo, it's still distorted/overdriven. Good song, btw.

Broken speaker cone esque distortion iirc?
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by IndieMetalhead
Broken speaker cone esque distortion iirc?

Sort of, but not really. I'm pretty sure it's just a tube amp being pushed to it's limits and some wah. I like the sound of it, but that's just my opinion. I can only imagine the volume without an attenuator it would take to get my SVT to become that overdriven.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
muse all the way. particularly: the groove, hysteria, citizen erased, hyper music, futurism, new born, dead star (most distorted of their songs), stockholm syndrome, and every other song
DECRESCENDO
A lot of the stuff by Emery has distorted bass somewhere in it. He switches it on and off for different parts. He has a hi-fi distorted tone, cuts through well, nice sounding. You can't really tell it's distorted much during normal play, but little fill he does by himself reveals a light distortion. Disguising Mistakes with Goodbyes is a good song that showcases his distorted tone.

Also, a really obscure band from the 90's called Fight has a nice, hi-fi distorted bass. Much different style, but it's what you asked for.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Tim Commerford uses overdrive quite a bit. That's how he gets that sick growl in his tone, check out Cochise. He has the overdrive cranked in that song.
Chris Wolstenholme's bass lines are VERY OFTEN distorted. He also uses a lot of overdrive, but he also uses a lot of other crazy effects as well. He's my favorite bassist.
Fury- Breathe in deep, and cleanse away our sins
And we'll pray that there's no God
To punish us, and make a fuss

Chalking up the frequent loser miles day by day.
Page 1 of 2