I wanted to knowhow to determine the correct hand placement on the fretboard to fit the key signature such as Eb. Is there any tips to help out with this problem? I am trying to transpose a song from the piano to the guitar. THanks UGer's
Well, one easy way to play in Eb major would be to retune it a half-step down and then do the normal 3 note-per-string major scale starting at the open E string.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
I don't really understand what you mean by hand placement. Do you mean where would a standard minor pentatonic scale go on the fretboard? Well, the 11th fret. By the way, is the song you're transposing E flat Major or e flat minor?
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
bar chord 6th fret on a-string, bar chord 4th fret on a-string, bar chord 4 fret on E-string,
Eb,Db,Ab. Is that what you mean?

e-------------
g--8--6----4
b--8--6----5
d--8--6----6
a--6--4----6
E-----------4
Last edited by deathpidgeon at Feb 8, 2008,
I know key of Eb, the E , A, B become flat, so if I tuned it down a half step. Would I have to change the way I play the notes, for instance, Changing the Eb back to the E since it is in Eb tuning
Quote by Kartman
I don't really understand what you mean by hand placement. Do you mean where would a standard minor pentatonic scale go on the fretboard? Well, the 11th fret. By the way, is the song you're transposing E flat Major or e flat minor?

The Song I am tranposing is Keyshia Cole "I Remeber" and it is E flat major
Quote by mselamaj
I know key of Eb, the E , A, B become flat, so if I tuned it down a half step. Would I have to change the way I play the notes, for instance, Changing the Eb back to the E since it is in Eb tuning

If you tune down half a step, then the open E string would be an Eb. That's the end of the story.

You could try thinking to yourself that they key is E major, and play accordingly, but with each string tuned down half a step. That would be helpful if you have some familiarity with playing in the key of E major, as playing in E major in standard tuning would use the same frets as playing in Eb major when tuned half a step down.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
All scales cover the entire fretboard.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
In Standard tuning- on the high e, open string is e , 1st fret is F, 2nd Fret is F# etc...
In Tuned down half a step tuning or Eb- open string Eb, 1st fret is E, 2nd fret is F ? correct?
Quote by mselamaj
In Standard tuning- on the high e, open string is e , 1st fret is F, 2nd Fret is F# etc...
In Tuned down half a step tuning or Eb- open string Eb, 1st fret is E, 2nd fret is F ? correct?

yessum
I am kind of a noob at music theory so I decided to give myself a challenge. I learned a little about in school,but i want to try something new with the guitar and transpose this song so I can play for my gf
Quote by mselamaj
i want to try something new with the guitar and transpose this song so I can play for my gf

W-wwait...

Are you trying to transpose or transcribe the song? If you're trying to just re-write it in tab-notation, then that would be transcribing. Transposing is if you're trying to change the key of the song to something else, which is a lot more tricky.
Oh, okay, sure.

I mainly posted that because we would have been sending you in the completely wrong direction if you meant transpose instead.
I want to transcribe this song into the guitar but it is in the key of Eb

Is this correct?
Quote by seedmole
Oh, okay, sure.

I mainly posted that because we would have been sending you in the completely wrong direction if you meant transpose instead.

Thanks for catching that, I def want the best help in transcribing this song so please help
Quote by mselamaj
Is this correct?

Bingo, correct, you got it, etc.

Just pay attention to what you're doing and be careful with it, and it should come out fine.
Quote by seedmole
Bingo, correct, you got it, etc.

Just pay attention to what you're doing and be careful with it, and it should come out fine.

Thanks guys, I put it the tabs for the song once I finish it
so you know e flat has three flats E, A , B. I was wondering if you are in Eb tuning does everything go back to normal or does it change. For example, The flats go back to natural?
Quote by mselamaj
so you know e flat has three flats E, A , B. I was wondering if you are in Eb tuning does everything go back to normal or does it change. For example, The flats go back to natural?

A key has the same notes regardless of tuning.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Why don't you just figure out the chords/notes of the melody for the song, and stop worrying about the key.. because all the notes in the song most likely aren't going to fit in the scale anyway. You will need the key signature to figure out which notes are flat with the key, but after that the key won't matter.
Nor less I deem that there are Powers
Which of themselves our minds impress;
That we can feed this mind of ours
In a wise passiveness.
--Wordsworth

last.fm
Quote by seedmole
W-wwait...

Are you trying to transpose or transcribe the song? If you're trying to just re-write it in tab-notation, then that would be transcribing. Transposing is if you're trying to change the key of the song to something else, which is a lot more tricky.

How's it more tricky changing the key? Don't you just play it at a different place on the fretboard?
Quote by Shackman10
How's it more tricky changing the key? Don't you just play it at a different place on the fretboard?

Yes, if you had a song for guitar and you already knew how to play it you could 'transpose' it by moving up or down the neck. however, written music for say piano is much different and much harder.
Nor less I deem that there are Powers
Which of themselves our minds impress;
That we can feed this mind of ours
In a wise passiveness.
--Wordsworth

last.fm
well im thinking just tune down to Eb. personally, im always in that tuning. sounds better imo, its easier for me to sing in, and it allows me to play chords lower than the regular open chords. you dont need to though. you could play this song in regular tuning. but i like the Eb tuning better personally.

Eb will be Eb no matter where you put it. You won't need to tune your guitar differently or anything. I don't know why you are mystifying it like this.
i'd just play all the scales starting on the eleventh fret
stuff:
guitar.
amp.
acoustic.
Quote by mselamaj

Erm what doyou mean by this? Notes cant change, the flats are always going to be flats... If you explain yourself a bit better I think illl be able to help...
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

ok man you've prob already got that songdone by now but if you know any music theory than this transposing should be a piece a cake. now go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#" i think im away from staff right now but i think that thats right.Well anyway after that just find the notes on your guitar and jam... it may take awhile but itll all wrk out. these other people prob have better ideas than me but thats how i do it
Quote by crazie_guitar
ok man you've prob already got that songdone by now but if you know any music theory than this transposing should be a piece a cake. now go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#" i think im away from staff right now but i think that thats right.Well anyway after that just find the notes on your guitar and jam... it may take awhile but itll all wrk out. these other people prob have better ideas than me but thats how i do it

I may have to quote part of this... Just the C to a B# bit

Its a good idea but a bad example!
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.