I bought the line 6 spider 3 75W. It's not a bad amp, but I can't get that dark, brutal sound I want(bands like death, morbid angel, opeth, in flames etc). I really should've tried it first. What the hell do I do now? It's been almost two months after I bought it in guitar center. You guys still think I can return and get my money or something? What should I get in place for the sound I want?
A nice Randall valve combo should do it much better, maybe the RG30?
Or as mentioned above a 5150/6505 would be pretty damn solid
ohai little sig.
Nah...you can't return it. I think they only have a 30 day policy...Not sure though.

What should you get in place of it...Well, basically anything. I think B-52's are great amps. Pretty cheap, too (I got my half stack for about $500). Maybe some sort of Peavey or Hughes and Kettner? Not entirely sure.
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
The problem that they really have is they sound so digital. I had a Spider III 30W and yeah, it was crap.
Resell it. Although you're not really going to get the sound you want in your price range. You could keep it for now and save up for something good.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by Guitarist132
Dude you bought an amp w/o trying iT?

That's a big no-no indeed.
if u dont want it, give it to me.
the game
I'm an idiot. I know I should've tried it. I dunno wth I was thinking. Never going by internet reviews again.
Quote by SchecterC-1+Man
Nah...you can't return it. I think they only have a 30 day policy...Not sure though.

What should you get in place of it...Well, basically anything. I think B-52's are great amps. Pretty cheap, too (I got my half stack for about $500). Maybe some sort of Peavey or Hughes and Kettner? Not entirely sure.

Damn I am really screwed now
Quote by giantsfanftw
I'm an idiot. I know I should've tried it. I dunno wth I was thinking. Never going by internet reviews again.

Oh the irony in that statement.

I'd just sit around and EQ it for a bit until you get something you like. If you can't get that tone, sell the amp and get something else. The Randall RG50TC is a great amp for heavy music. The Krank Rev. Jr. is great too if you don't mind a lack luster clean channel.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by M Power
For that stuff? 5150/6505 would be solid.

there actually more thin than you might think to expect. They need quite a bit of EQ work and boost, and racks to sound like a pro, really a 6505 stock sounds like a Metal Zone pedal, with the right EQ on amp it sounds not as thin as that but pretty thin, but with a compressor and EQ and amp boost, that is what makes the amp sound really really good, best as possible
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Oh the irony in that statement.
true, true

Quote by giantsfanftw
just remember before you beat yourself up, those big heavy tones usually come from big powerful stacks. In the 75watt range, most distortion is going to sound trebly or raspy, usually something caused by too much midrange...which can be EQed but then again, small amps can come out sounding very muffled when scooped.

I know the line 6 spider, I don't like it. But then again, I have a half-stack setup. actually, I don't think I've EVER heard nice metal tone coming from a small amp. So you might want to go out and play some other amps, but the line 6 spider isn't that bad for the price range. Don't make another rash-decision in selling it off.

Another thing to make you feel better, you are MUCH MUCH smarter then a person I know that bought a Line 6 full-stack!!. He thinks it's awesome. I also believe he is tone-deaf.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by xWhitechapelx
there actually more thin than you might think to expect. They need quite a bit of EQ work and boost, and racks to sound like a pro, really a 6505 stock sounds like a Metal Zone pedal, with the right EQ on amp it sounds not as thin as that but pretty thin, but with a compressor and EQ and amp boost, that is what makes the amp sound really really good, best as possible

lol wut?
Quote by Guitarist132
Dude you bought an amp w/o trying iT?

+1
ALWAYS try an amp before buying it....
you were at the GC when you paid for it..you easily could have turned it on and listened...............

Try selling it though a local listing or see how much GC will pay for it...
its highly unlikely that they will give a full refund at this point........
Well it's not that bad, but it's not what I'm looking for in sound. I guess I'll see what GC says. If they don't give my money back I'll keep it. It does sound better with my friend's $400 Ibanez. So there's a positive note. I was gonna get another guitar. Maybe that will help.
Quote by False_God
lol wut?

yes, thats right, I said a stock 6505 can be somewhat thin, to sound dead on to artist you need racks and boost >;] to make the 6505 brutal thick, maxon OD-808 as boost but with the gain nob not used
haha, why wouldn't you try IN A GUITAR CENTER
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by sirlimecat
haha, why wouldn't you try IN A GUITAR CENTER

I have dude, yeah its got crunch but its thin on its own, need some eq and maxon OD-808 to really make it stand out and sound at its BEST POSSIBLE I'm quite picky, just needs compressor, Maxon Od-808, ISP rack, and MXR 10 band eq to sound at its best
Last edited by xWhitechapelx at Feb 8, 2008,
^ I believe he was talking about the TS.....
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13
^ I believe he was talking about the TS.....

yeah, I must be tired haha