As some of you know I've been eying the Traynor YCV50 and the Peavey classic 30/50 for a while now.

I'm kind of stuck because I just don't know anymore. They both sound good. But I didn't get to play them for a very long time. in the short amount of time that I played it, I liked both of them. I didn't get to compare them side-by-side.

Now its the moment of truth. I can't decide which one to get, I need really good cleans, a nice overdrive. I'm not worried about getting any brutal distortion out of them because I don't really need that.

So Can you guys help me out? I need to know about the quality, reliability. Cause both amps are pretty expensive. They are going to be about 470-600 for me used. And I don't want it to break after a week or so.
I would go with the Traynor. I like how quiet it was when I tried it, even when I had a considerable amount of gain going. The cleans on both were good, but I liked the Traynor's just a tiny bit better. I wish they stocked the Traynors at GC so I could try them out more often.
Quote by sum_ugly_man
How reliable are the traynors? because they both looks sturdy enough

As an owner, I have not once experienced any problems. I happen to know that Traynor offers a ridiculously good warranty, but that might not apply to you if you're buying used.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
As an owner, I have not once experienced any problems. I happen to know that Traynor offers a ridiculously good warranty, but that might not apply to you if you're buying used.

That's Canada for you.You think it would be cheaper If I got one straight out of the factory? I live close. DO brands usually sell from the factory?
It's a 50/50 chance getting one from a factory. Some sell them straight out, others don't. I would call them and see though, it would definately be worth a shot.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
I like the Peavey -I own one- but I think the Traynor's the nicer amp. They also have a reputation for being built like tanks. That may hold more true for their older products, but I've never heard about a reliability issue with anything from the company.

One thing, I've heard the YCV 50 isn't quite as loud as you expect a 50W amp to be. If that's a concern, it would be wise to compare 'em head to head if you have the chance. It only has one speaker compared to the Classic 50's 2-12's or 4-10's.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
It's plenty loud, thanks to the V30 though...

But still, it's plenty loud. Peavey is built like a tank, and so is the traynor, the only con with the classic is that if you get the 30, replacing 4 EL84's is slightly more expensive than 2 EL34's, not to meantion the classics have the infamous tube rattle. for $20 bucks on ebay, you can buy these tube harness things for the classic 30, but guess what? It's standard on the Traynor. The Traynor also has separate EQ for each channel.

You're getting a great sounding amp either way. I've played both extensively. But I give the edge to the traynor for it's speaker, autobiasing feature (not fixed bias) Separate EQ, Metal grille behind the cloth grille, and tube harness.

Both are about the same price used.

Honestly, try both out before you buy them, since you're getting them used? I hope locally? I've heard people have problems with the auto bias on the traynor, albeit very few, and some people have tube popping in the classic 30 or 50. However, I've heard more people with positive things to say than negative.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Last edited by Reincaster at Feb 9, 2008,
Not to make your decision even more difficult, but check out the ycs-50. Its like the ycv-50, except it has more options, it cna take both 6l6s and el34s, and it has a selectable 15w/50w modes. I choose it over the blue because it just had sooo much more stuff to mess around with.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Quote by HeartInACage
Not to make your decision even more difficult, but check out the ycs-50. Its like the ycv-50, except it has more options, it cna take both 6l6s and el34s, and it has a selectable 15w/50w modes. I choose it over the blue because it just had sooo much more stuff to mess around with.

Damn. I really need to try one out. Isn't that the one with the Americn/British voicing switch?
It is indeed. ANd the british voicing is ffaannntastic.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Quote by HeartInACage
It is indeed. ANd the british voicing is ffaannntastic.

I never thought I would say this , but...I wish I lived in Canada.

Not really, but I at least wish that my local stores had Traynor. We are stuck with Spiders and MGs and Fenders. Fenders are nice but only for clean, so all the metalheads go to the SPiders and MGs and commit 20 counts of rape to everybody's ears.
Haha, well I dont live in Canada, and yes, my one local guitar store, guitar center, sucks balls, so I had to order it online from showworksonline.com which was the ONNLLLY place that carried it. Unfortunately, it took them like 2 weeks to finally send it out, but it was worth dealing with their assholeness because its a very sweet amp.
Quote by HeartInACage
Haha, well I dont live in Canada, and yes, my one local guitar store, guitar center, sucks balls, so I had to order it online from showworksonline.com which was the ONNLLLY place that carried it. Unfortunately, it took them like 2 weeks to finally send it out, but it was worth dealing with their assholeness because its a very sweet amp.

Very nice. How much did it cost you?
700, which is cheaper than the ycv-50. although, the ycv-50 is only 650 on their site.
I might be able to get my hands on one for really cheap, but I don't know. I have to get the money first, I'm halfway there. Also slats, I don't really need an extremely loud amp, 50 watts Will be more than enough. And I don't wanna lose my hearing either.

Also Any other suggestions? I'll try out an YCS
i'd probably go with the traynor too (though i've only tried the 40 and 20, which are different amps). i haven't tried them head to head either, but i think the traynor is the nicer amp. it's certainly more expensive (by quite a bit) here in the UK, but of course that doesn't necessarily mean it's any better.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?