I havent been able to find a channel footswitch or reverb footswitch for my amp. I was wanting to make one. I was wondering if from looking at the inputs if you could help me figure out how to make one or send me in the right direction.

I can't help you with the channel footswitcher, but the reverb one I can.

the reverb is turned on and off by connecting or disconnecting the wires attached to the ring and the tip of the jack. Basically all you need to do is get a regular patch cord, a jack, a switch (SPST with no LED, DPDT with an LED), some wire and and an enclosure. Solder two wires: one to the ring, and one to the tip of the jack in the footswitch. Solder one wire to the middle lug of the switch, and the other to one of the other ones. For an LED, it's just a matter of using the extra lugs of a DPDT to connect/disconnect the battery..

edit: to at least give a shot at how the channel footswitcher works...
I'd assume it works in the same way (connecting or disconnecting certain wires), but by the look of it, whoever makes the amp made it in a way that you have to buy their footswitch for it to work. I say this because of the connection to the amp that it requires. I've never seen any sort of thing that can plug into a socket like that, but I may be [and probably am ] wrong, and there might actually be a connector you can buy like that. Although even if there is, I ould have no idea on how to make it work with a footswitch.
Last edited by james4 at Feb 8, 2008,
I figured the reverb one was something simple like that. But what I figured I would do it turn the amp on and use a polarity tester and see which ones where lit up as being hot. I figure since its a 6 pin connector that its probably something like 3 pins on per channel or something. Then I could find a connector that was similar to that socket and wire it so that the correct 3 pins were engaged with the switch in one position and the other 3 engaged when the switch was in the other position. But I dont know. Its an 80's model Randall if that helps.
Quote by james4
I can't help you with the channel footswitcher, but the reverb one I can.

the reverb is turned on and off by connecting or disconnecting the wires attached to the ring and the tip of the jack. Basically all you need to do is get a regular patch cord, a jack, a switch (SPST with no LED, DPDT with an LED), some wire and and an enclosure. Solder two wires: one to the ring, and one to the tip of the jack in the footswitch. Solder one wire to the middle lug of the switch, and the other to one of the other ones. For an LED, it's just a matter of using the extra lugs of a DPDT to connect/disconnect the battery..
Actually it's the tip and sleeve.
The term ring implies a stereo plug/jack. I'm sure that's not what you meant.
Other than that, spot on.

Here's a diagram for the Randall footswitch. This is their drawing, not mine.

It uses 2 DPDT push-push switches.
The switch in the lower left select which channel.
The switch in the lower right selects single channel, or both.

I looked at the schematic for the amp.
I the left switch should work as expected.
But I believe the right side is completely wrong.
In the "both" position, i think it will disable the signal from both channels.

With both the channel switch, and the reverb switch, you should use shielded cable.
These both carry signal from the amp.
Unshielded cable will allow hum and noise to enter the system.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
So how could I modify that to be just a channel switcher instead of having the "both" button on there? I understand where its all going but I dont understand how to modify it and pull that one button out of it.
sure. I'll post a drawing. Maybe in an hour, maybe tomorrow. Are you a patient man?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Yeah, I can be. lol

I have actually found some stuff online about people rewiring it with regular 1/4" jacks and doing it that way. Would that be harder? Cause hunting down that jack I feel is going to be a b*tch.
Finding a plug to mate with that jack shouldn't be all that difficult.
What you're looking for is called a Cinch-Jones connector.
The real issue would be if the guy who made the original drawing
was having another "herbal moment"
when he numbered the connections to the plug.
There's actually a fairly easy way of sorting that all out, though.

If you decide to go with the original plan, this will work,
assuming the original drawing was correct.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Dude, you are a Godsend. I have found several dealers who sell those Jones connectors locally. They are all closed until Monday but I can get them. I'm gonna go get one and hopefully I'll be all set. Thanks so much for your help! I would be lost without you. lol
One last piece of info that might help you out:

I don't feel confident that they have the left and right side of that connector correct.

I'm certain that 3 and 4 are ground. That's no problem.

Turn your amp on, with the volumes turned down, and the plug inserted in the jack,
without the cover of the plug. That way you can make contact to the terminals.

If you use a voltmeter set to DC volts, you should be able to measure a few volts
from 2 to 4
and from 6 to 4

If that's the case, all will be well, when you wire it up.

But, if you measure a few volts DC from 1 to 3, and from 5 to 3,
that means the wiring is reversed.
Just mirror everything from left to right, but leave top and bottom the same:
Exchange 1 for 2
3 for 4
and 5 for 6.

Confirming this, before soldering everything together, might save you from having to redo it.
You have a 50% chance they have it right.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411