now that I have a good knowledge of the major scale and it's modes I have decided to move on to either the melodic minor or the harmonic minor. Which one do you think I should learn first. Is one easier or more widely used than the other or does it not matter which one I learn.
Being the basis of jazz and classical harmony, the harmonic minor scale is probably more prevalent.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Melodic minor is used generally for ascending and then natural minor for descending. Harmonic minor is used more often though and in my opinion, sounds better.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by .arkness:.
Melodic minor is used generally for ascending and then natural minor for descending.

Not really, no. It hasn't been used that way for ages.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
alright I guess I learn the harmonic minor first then the melodic and after that I think I will learn the symetrical augmented. I have stuff to work on for a while.
Learn both. but learn Harmonic Minor first. The fifth mode kicks ass.

My analysis of the melodic minor:
The ascending pattern is 1 2 b3 4 5 6 7 8. The natural seventh pulls your ear towards the root. The descending pattern is 8 b7 b6 5 4 b3 2 1. The b6 pulls your ear towards the fifth. However, the descending pattern is rarely played differently than the ascedning pattern (except for order, of course) in modern music.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Learn both. but learn Harmonic Minor first. The fifth mode kicks ass.

My analysis of the melodic minor:
The ascending pattern is 1 2 b3 4 5 6 7 8. The natural seventh pulls your ear towards the root. The descending pattern is 8 b7 b6 5 4 b3 2 1. The b6 pulls your ear towards the fifth. However, the descending pattern is rarely played differently than the ascedning pattern (except for order, of course) in modern music.

Generally the Melodic minor's ascending form is used both ascending and descending, if it is being labelled "melodic". If the descending form is used it is called "natural minor". The melodic minor as also better thought of as a major scale with a flattened third, rather than a minor scale with a raised sixth and seventh, as it is more similar to the major scale.