On Sunday I'm going to GC and while I'm there I'm going to begin my search for my new guitar. I'm just looking for recommendations on what guitars I should try out while I'm there. I play a very large variety of music (there's a list of bands in my profile) and I need something that I can easily change tunings on so a guitar with a floating trem is out of the question. I want something with a really thick chunky sound so maybe mahogany. My price range is from anything less then 2500 USD, although I would like to spend in the 1000-1500 range.

EDIT: I'd like the guitar to be able to be found in GC as well because I get a big discount there.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
I'd just like a point in the right direction.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by Hakael

I was considering the classic, but I'm not crazy about Schecters. In the case of the BlackJack
I would like to stay away from guitars with Active pups. I already have a set in my Jackson.
Quote by doggy_hat
not 100% sure what GC carries cause ive only been in one once cause i dont have any near me. im getting these guitar recommendations from musiciansfriend.com
Guitar $1000-$1500USD
- Gibson les paul studio, SG, flying V (have no experience with gibson tho)
-Jackson RR5

pretty much in ur price range im seeing alot of the same brand names Gibson, Fender, Godin, Music Man, Epiphone, ESP/LTD, Jackson. for ur taste of music i would suggest either a gibson or epi lp, or perhaps a jackson soloist witha a pick up config of HSS or HSH with no trem.

-
XBLive Gamertag: ecdeluxe1000 send me friend requests (make sure u put UG in the message somewhere)
rr5 ftw or wait for the new amott v.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
TS, sounds like you've got a serious need for an LP. If you can spend $2000, just go crazy and play every one. It's an extremely rewarding experience.

If you're not looking for humbuckers, you can get some extremely nice strats for that price.
as always, i recommend getting a schecter, but as you said, your not crazy about them, so whatever floats your boat. otherwise, i would say go with a Music Man, amazingly crafted guitars.
____________________ ___________________
..............................................I have epic fail.........................................

Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
TS, sounds like you've got a serious need for an LP. If you can spend $2000, just go crazy and play every one. It's an extremely rewarding experience.

I've played a few Gibson Les Pauls, but I never really thought they were worth the price tag. I'll definitely try a few more out though.

And To people recommending music men, I'm thinking maybe a Petrucci. How is it?

EDIT: The RR5 looks amazing. I've never played a V before, so it might take a while for it to be comfortable to play.
Quote by doggy_hat
Last edited by BleedDeathMetal at Feb 9, 2008,
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
I've played a few Gibson Les Pauls, but I never really thought they were worth the price tag. I'll definitely try a few more out though.

And To people recommending music men, I'm thinking maybe a Petrucci. How is it?

EDIT: The RR5 looks amazing. I've never played a V before, so it might take a while for it to be comfortable to play.

the RR is very comfortable to play! but only if you are used to play in the classical position, if you are used to it then it shouldn´t be a problem!.
Look at the ESP Horizon NT-II great guitar, Mahogany with Quilted Maple Top, 24 frets, Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and 59 in the neck and Gotoh Tune-o-matic w/ String-Thru-Body bridge so you can easily change tunings
Gear
Ibanez RG2550E
ESP/LTD M-10
Fender FM212R amp
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez WP-7 Wah
I'm considering getting a 7 string. Any recommendations in that field.

Still wondering about the Petrucci as well.
Quote by doggy_hat
If you have the money, PRS custom
Washburn N4
Gibson Les Paul Standard 60's neck
Warmoth Strat w/ SD and fender PU's
Carvin VL212
ADA MP1
Boss GT-10
I don't think I can scrounge up that much. Possibly though. That's the guitar I've wanted for ages.
Quote by doggy_hat
Guitar center has a few PRS customs with a fixed bridge in the $2100 range
Washburn N4
Gibson Les Paul Standard 60's neck
Warmoth Strat w/ SD and fender PU's
Carvin VL212
ADA MP1
Boss GT-10
man with 1000-1500 you can get a absolutely fantastic guitar.

e.g.

american strat
gibson les paul studio
gibson les paul studio premium plus
gibson les paul classic (maybe used)
american tele
few prs
list goes on and on....

just play a few in that price range and whatever feels good is the right guitar. dont let price of the guitar be a deciding factor in your purchase!