a while ago i changed my strings and raised the action on my SG copy.
but when i tried to tune it it wouldnt tune right, because when the tuner showed that the bar was in the middle the strings sounded out of tune

does anyone know what went wrong or what i can do to fix this?
Your intonation may need to be adjusted after raising the strings
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Hand Built(by me) guitar w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Digitech Hardwire Chromatic Tuner
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
Get it intonated, different strings will often need different settings.
Do you use a BR-600?
If so, click here to join the group thats made for you!
depending on the tuner, check to see that it's set to A=440.
maybe you raised the action too much and your intonations off (unlikely)

i'm of course assuming that you've done everything the right way. any step along the way could be the problem
If you raised the action, you also threw off the intonation. They go hand in hand. Why did you raise the action? Usually everyone want's it the other way, as low as it'll go without any buzzing. To each their own I rekon. Anyhow, make sure you've got a decent tuner, and set all strings dead on to standard tuning. Fret each string at 12th fret and see where the notes are. They should be exactly the same as the open string. If sharp, you'll need to move the bridge saddle for that string farther away from the headstock. If flat, you'll need to move it closer. Keep doing this, retuning to standard and rechecking until you have them all back to where they ought to be again. It's easy enough to do, and something that every guitar player ought to know how to do on their own, just like tuning and changing strings.
Quote by Lynchworm
Your intonation may need to be adjusted after raising the strings

intonation?

(noob)
Intonation = the ability of a guitar to play notes correctly across the entire fretboard. Works in unison with correct spacing of each fret and correct placement of the nut.
Last edited by LeftyDave at Feb 8, 2008,
Quote by LeftyDave
Intonation = the ability of a guitar to play notes correctly across the entire fretboard. Based on scale length of the guitar. Works in unison with correct spacing of each fret and correct placement of the nut.

so how would i fix/change it?
Each bridge saddle can be moved either closer to or farther away from the headstock of the guitar by turning small screws on the back side of the bridge. Notice that the screw has a spring in between the saddle and the main body of the bridge. Tightening that screw will pull the saddle back away from the headstock making the string longer. Loosening it will move it closer. Read my other post on how to adjust intonation.
Last edited by LeftyDave at Feb 8, 2008,