I'm pondering something. I'm looking for a new guitar ~600$. Currently I have an Ibanez (I believe it's an S) it's gotta be a few years old. I bought it last year, and it's pretty worn. The model stamp is hardly readable, it's got quite a few dings and knicks. I like it, but there are things about it that irritate me.

The Floyd Rose Bridge... I like to change tune alot, so this thing is more of an irritant. Thats my biggest beef with the guitar. Other than that, it sounds decent, and I enjoy playing it.

Now that my playing is getting better though, I'm looking for more control and a more edgy sound. I've played quite a few guitars with EMG's 81/85 and I love it. Now for my question....

Which would be the better investment?

Swap pickups in the Ibanez or buy a new guitar all together with the EMG's in it?

Obviously the swap is the cheaper route, but will the Ibanez even take EMG's? It has that... middle pickup there... would that allow for EMG?

Thanks.

EDIT - I'm at work so I'll try to get more information and a pic up here or something when I get home.
Last edited by dorfeater at Feb 8, 2008,
If you decide to get another guitar, you could go for a ESP. their guitars around that price range have EMGs in them without a floyd rose
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

If you're getting EMGs for the Ibanez, then you need one for the middle as well. I'm sure EMG makes a single though. And if you don't like the bridge, just get a Tremol-No or a block of wood. If you want a new guitar altogether, I say ESP/LTD's are pretty good.
I was gonna mention the Tremol-no as well (contemplating getting one for myself). Other than that, and if you can haggle, you could try for this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-C-1-Hellraiser-Electric-Guitar-518451-i1385936.gc

Schecter Hellraiser C-1
* Mahogany body (Black Cherry finish includes Quilted Maple Top)
* Set, 3-piece mahogany neck with rosewood fretboard
* 24 X-jumbo frets
* 25-1/2" scale
* Ultra-access cutaway
* EMG active 81TW/89 pickups
* Push/pull knob for single-coil on 81TW
* Volume/volume/tone controls
* 3-way pickup switch
* Grover tuners
* Abalone binding on Black Cherry & White, Gray Pearl Binding on Black
* Gothic cross fretboard inlays
* TonePros tune-o-matic bridge with thru-body design

With some haggling (shouldn't be difficult either), should be able to get it down to $600.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Thanks for the replies guys.

Can you even haggle with guitar center? lol

I looked at the C-1 before, I used to have an S-1, Schecter's are nice, but I dunno, something about them... just not my fancy.

Right now i'm debating on an Epiphone G400 LE w/ EMG 81/85, which seems pretty nice, though I can't find one anywhere to try out. Or an ESP Viper 400 Elite w/ the 81/85 setup. I've never played an ESP before, I found a dealer nearby so I'm gonna go shred up there store this weekend.
You can haggle with GC, I do it all the time.
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by Hakael
You can haggle with GC, I do it all the time.

+1.

Dude, you can haggle with these guys so easily. Just stay in control of the negotiation and don't be afraid to "walk" when they don't come down enough.... they will call you back and make a better offer. Be realistic and stick to your guns and you will be walking out with the guitar you want at a great price.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson DC Pro Custom shop
Fender American Stratocaster - Vintage custom
Fender Squier Strat
Fender Standard Telecaster
Does haggling apply to Sam Ash?
I know exactly what I think I'm doing.
^

They'll haggle as well, although it's really dependent on who you're dealing with their. I got some ok deals, but not as good as GC on average.