Mm.... Just a noob question

What does a truss rod do? And what happens if it's adjusted wrong?

I never found out exactly how it works... So well, can you help me?
Much easier to Google it, but the truss rod is a metal rod inside the guitar neck that's used to counteract string tension and adjust the neck. If it's misadjusted, in dramatic cases it could cause damage to the neck.
http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/trussrods.htm

if you really want to learn about them, go to craigslist and get the cheapest guitar you can find and fiddle with it to see what it does. being able to competently adjust it is a good skill to have so its worth doing. otherwise i wouldnt mess with it on a guitar that you'd care about ruining.
The truss rod adjusts the curvature of the neck. If the neck
is close to being straight...the strings tend to flap against
the frets and create a fret buzz. If the neck has too much
of a curve in it...the intonation can get thrown off. When
you get a dirt cheap Goodwill guitar u can adjust it and see
how it affects the neck. You will need allen wrenches. I suggest
no more than 1/8th of a turn at a time. Make sure u got the
right wrench because if you strip the screw...ur screwed..lol..

There are a million other problems that give you the same
symptoms as a needed truss rod adjustment. Only do it if you
can afford to lose the guitar..and as a last resort. Alot of more
experienced players will put the fear of God in you ..when it
comes to truss rods to keep you from becoming your own worst
enemy. With time it will be like tightening a belt.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
I love the fear mongering that goes on regarding truss rods. I really do. It gives me an erection.

Let's get something straight:

There's nothing that a "pro" will do to your guitar that you can't do yourself when it comes to setups. Likewise, he'll use the exact same techniques you can use. The only way you will break your truss rod is if you are negligent - either loosening it too much or over-tightening it. It's worth it to learn how to properly gauge neck relief (the amount of dip in the neck) and how to adjust your truss rod. You don't need to practice on cheap guitars or any of that stuff. You just need to be sensible. Yes, 1/8-1/4 turn at a time, and then let the guitar sit. It used to be a living thing (or several living things); the wood takes time to fully adjust to the change in setting.

A truss rod is anchored at the base of the neck and at the headstock. It puts compression pressure on the neck. When you turn the nut counterclockwise, it loosens the pressure on the neck, thereby allowing the pull of the strings to have a greater effect on the neck, increasing the bow. When you tighten the nut by turning it clockwise, it increases the compression, which lessens the effect the pull of the strings have on the neck. It's that simple. There's no voodoo, no magic, no destructive universal forces plotting against you. That being said, you should only make truss rod adjustments if you find the dip in the neck is off after appropriately measuring it; truss rod adjustments should not be used as a main way of setting up action in lieu of bridge adjustments.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Feb 9, 2008,