I've been practicing tapping arpeggios lately and when I play I get this sound that's really annoying. I'll tap a note and when I hit it I hear the sound of the string hitting the fretboard. I tried changing the action but it didn't help. It's not a buzzing sound, all you hear is a percussive sound of the string hitting the fretboard and it's really annoying.

I get this same sound when I'm doing hammer-ons/pull-offs.

Is this a technique issue, an issue with my bass or is this something that you can't avoid?
Quote by pentagram_man63
OR, if youre REALLY hardcore, you can try DROP C!!!!!!!!!!! TEH R0XXXX0RRRZZ!!!!!!!1111ONEONE!!!!111

I Need A Better Sig
I dunno but maybe you aren't pressing down hard enough.
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
I've tried pressing harder but the noise just gets louder :p
Quote by pentagram_man63
OR, if youre REALLY hardcore, you can try DROP C!!!!!!!!!!! TEH R0XXXX0RRRZZ!!!!!!!1111ONEONE!!!!111

I Need A Better Sig
I'm just shooting in the dark but what about string tension?

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
What's string tension?
Quote by pentagram_man63

I Need A Better Sig
How tight the strings are.

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
Well I don't know how to change that or what my tension should be set at.

I'm in standard tuning, so they aren't floppy if that's what you mean rofl
Quote by pentagram_man63

I Need A Better Sig
Quote by ChimyChonga Man
Well I don't know how to change that or what my tension should be set at.

I'm in standard tuning, so they aren't floppy if that's what you mean rofl

lol, no harm in checking.

You should go over to your local guitar shop and ask them 'cause I'm not sure.
I'm not the best at bass repair

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
Me neither, thanks for the help man.

The one thing I always wonder that bothers me though

is like when I'm watching guys do crazy bass stuff in Youtube videos and I wonder

"Do they get that noise, but I just can't hear it?"

I can't see that this noise is a technique problem because I've tried hitting it lighter and harder, different places near the fret and stuff like that but I just don't get it.
Quote by pentagram_man63

I Need A Better Sig
you just need better control over your fingers you're probably hitting the strings too hard and too near the frets. THis is especially a problem with the right hand index and middle fingers for a lot of people. Work on making dynamically consistant taps with each finger and work on the clarity of your notes and the release of each "tap." If you get more control, you won't have to tap as hard and you'll get less fret noise.
roll off the tone knob you. you want a bright sound but you want basicly a round sound start with the tone knob at about half
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
This has been quite enlightening. :

Thanks a ton, fellas!
Quote by pentagram_man63

I Need A Better Sig
You also might want to look at getting lighter strings. Firstly much easier to tap, and that should reduce background noise when tapping.
try turning your amp up

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
I'm pretty sure you just can't avoid this. I'd just get used to it, because as far as I know, it happens to everyone (especially if you have larger frets, like "Extra Jumbo" or "Jumbo").
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
I had the same problem, it's just your strings. Some strings feel "harder" than others so they don't bend as easily I guess, you know? I bought new strings and now tapping sounds a whole lot better.
"I don't understand how one can kill a man in the name of peace, that's ridiculous."
- JBT
All of thes suggestions for reducing treble, turning up amp volume, lighter strings etc. are really good, but they don't address the issue of sloppy tapping that underlies it. Though there may be limits to how much of this noise you can reduce through proper finger control and good technique, you should push that limit, even as you make these other adjustments to make it sound better.
At 3:50 or so when Alex is tapping, that's the kind of noise I get.

Annoying, isn't it?

Yes it is...
Definitely sloppy tapping if the sound is coming out of the amp.