Page 1 of 4
What makes you unique/quirky when playing, separate from others you know? Be it the way you hold the pick to the way you play chords, what is it?

I tend to play most of my power chords with just my index and pinky, for strengthening my little finger.

When I tap, I use the index finger; it's easier (for me) and more comfortable. (Don't know if this is unique, but I just tap different from everyone I know)
for me, if i'm playing infront of anybody who isnt part of the band, i just have to head-bang or move around. i just have to. my band mates just stand there its like ahhh! mooovvvee!!! lol kinda lame but it counts
chickin picking and crazy head banging, and im the only band member with no ear plugs, standing infront of my amp at like 7haha, the ringing goes away in like an hour
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
What makes you unique/quirky when playing, separate from others you know? Be it the way you hold the pick to the way you play chords, what is it?

I tend to play most of my power chords with just my index and pinky, for strengthening my little finger.

When I tap, I use the index finger; it's easier (for me) and more comfortable. (Don't know if this is unique, but I just tap different from everyone I know)

well i do hold a pick strange. its kinda hard to explain but if you think of how you hold a pick, you are suposed to have the point pointing straight down at the strings. well, i seem to slant my pick to the left a bit if that makes any sense.

another thing that makes me different from people i know is that i play with 12-56 guage strings. most people just play the small strings like 9's or 10's.

and instead of strumming with my pick, a lot of the time i use my fingers that are free to kind of "backhand slap" the strings. it gives a different sound. or sometimes i put away my pick in my fingers and strum with just my hand to add a different sound as well.

other than that though i dont do any out of the norm stuff.
Quote by sirlimecat
chickin picking and crazy head banging, and im the only band member with no ear plugs, standing infront of my amp at like 7haha, the ringing goes away in like an hour

BAD.

I picked with the pick differently.

Imagine you're looking down at your pick on the guitar.

Most people play with it like this /

I play it like this \

If that makes no sense, I'll make crappy pics!
i play wihtout a pick, but i dont finger-pick either. I use my finger nail on my first finger as a pick.
My sig used to be so awesome it got me banned
Quote by llanafreak44
BAD.

I picked with the pick differently.

Imagine you're looking down at your pick on the guitar.

Most people play with it like this /

I play it like this \

If that makes no sense, I'll make crappy pics!

i dont pick funny the other guy says he does
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
i strum with my fingers and pick with my pick. Jk that'll be too weird eh
I'm not quite sure. I'm easily distinguished from my guitar teacher, for example, due to the amount of legato I use and my choice of phrasing, and I'm distinguished from my father due to the fact that he's a bloody classical guitarist and I play metal guitar.

It's a very vague question.

When it comes down to it, I'm not very distinguished in a way that I can adequately describe. I like to think my phrasing is fairly good, though.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
I don't know anyone else who does jazz chord-melody-ish stuff(not that that's my strong point anyway), but as a metal player, I suppose it's rather unique of me not to tune down to Drop Zb. I stay in Standard E, mainly so in the stuff I can write, the low B on the bass gets an extra fourth of low range.
Quote by grampastumpy
I don't know anyone else who does jazz chord-melody-ish stuff(not that that's my strong point anyway), but as a metal player, I suppose it's rather unique of me not to tune down to Drop Zb. I stay in Standard E, mainly so in the stuff I can write, the low B on the bass gets an extra fourth of low range.

That, too. I prefer E standard or D standard.

I take the hint from traditional metal, too, and write my riffs so they resolve on the octave above the lowest note so that no matter what, that low E will sound heavy, especially backed by the bass.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
Quote by sirlimecat
i dont pick funny the other guy says he does

Think about the second half of your post. If you ears are ringing after playing the guitar, you need to be wearing ear plugs Believe me, after seeing some of my dad's friends who can barely hear when they haven't even turned forty, you want ear plugs. Don't try and be a hard ass or whatever, or say "I can hear my guitar better without ear plugs." If you're playing loud enough to hear your guitar through ear plugs, then you oughta wear 'em.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
I'm a mix between my favourite guitarists (Mattias "IA" Eklundh, Paul Gilbert, Alexi Laiho, Steve Vai) wich means I use all of their "signature" stuff mixed together with my own.
And I have some special "rules" when building up a song. Not that they can't be broken, but they make the sound I like, my sound.

Also I hold my pick 45 degrees like Paul Gilbert.
I use 2 picks for practice: The Stylus, and Jazz III
One pick for playing for the realz= Dunlop 500 2.00 mm. Makes such a nice sound when running over the strings, nothing compares to it :p. And also it runs over the strings smoothly .

I DO use earplugs, and I would suggest everyone to do so. Not fun only to be rocking out til you'r 25 , not fun at all.

Also, my choice of gear is to someone a little weird.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
I tend to use very wide intervalic jumps when I solo.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
i tap with my index finger and sometimes with my pick (makes a really nice sound)

when i improvise i instantly play the blues minor pentatonic for some reason

i use bass picks because they have finger grip things on em

when i get into a song i try and add massive bends to add emphasis

wow now i feel weird
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Quote by Page&HammettFan
Think about the second half of your post. If you ears are ringing after playing the guitar, you need to be wearing ear plugs Believe me, after seeing some of my dad's friends who can barely hear when they haven't even turned forty, you want ear plugs. Don't try and be a hard ass or whatever, or say "I can hear my guitar better without ear plugs." If you're playing loud enough to hear your guitar through ear plugs, then you oughta wear 'em.

I don't own ear plugs, and wet toilet paper just makes it muddy in my ears so i just let them ring for an hour
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by aradine
i tap with my index finger and sometimes with my pick (makes a really nice sound)

when i improvise i instantly play the blues minor pentatonic for some reason

when i get into a song i try and add massive bends to add emphasis

None of these are particularly out of the ordinary.
Quote by marmoseti
Quote by sirlimecat
I don't own ear plugs, and wet toilet paper just makes it muddy in my ears so i just let them ring for an hour

then you buy earplugs you 'tard, either that or accept that you'll be deaf in 10 years at best. how many great deaf musicians can you name? 3? 4 maybe? thats because in general unless your theoretical knowledge is next to godlike, deaf people don't play and generally cannot enjoy music. though i guess if you decide you're too cool for earplugs then i hope you go deaf.

as for the thread....

i try to mix everything into my playing, a little classical, some blues, some slightly jazzy stuff, chromatic stuff, even some old style country and bluegrass bends and slides along with techno and industrial type stuff. i like to think that even though most of what you hear is hard rock/metal type stuff im a pretty varied guitarist. also i love the pinch harmonics.
oh i forgot to say that i play barre chords like hendrix with the thumb that frets the low E string. i use my thumb a lot actually for a number of chords. thats probably the one thing that really sets me apart because i think im the only one around in my town or in my high school that does that.
People tell me to close my mouth when I play guitar. Apparently I stand there jamming with my mouth open, like so:

Also, I tend to make bluesy solos when improvising. I do know other scales, but I only know one (pentatonic) well enough to solo with and have anything slightly 'good' come out of my amp. Haha.
i play out of tune and in the wrong key. timing? i don't have it. my special quirks.

btw, when you hear ringing you have incurred permanent hearing loss. buy some 50cent plugs, dumbazz.
Quote by sirlimecat
and im the only band member with no ear plugs, standing infront of my amp at like 7haha, the ringing goes away in like an hour

Thats going to come back and haunt you later. Believe me I know alot of guys that did the same. What happens is that ringing comes back and never goes away..... Then it wont be so amusing.
shred is gaudy music
When playing, I have a great knack for improvising **** outside of the "pentatonic" realms, though this shouldn't be a "unique" thing for musicians. I chicken pick certain notes in lead lines, place notes in different spots (such as using an open string to replace a note residing on the fifth fret). I also fan my fingers over the strings when strumming like someone mentioned previously. I like to do more "jazzy" style arpeggios mixed with "yngwie" style. I also like to mix different aspects of genres, and really like doing a jazzy type thrashy chord thing like what is done on Wake Up Dead by Megadeth.
Well mostly my influences are Thomas Erak, Omar rodriquez and Jim Ward so its kind of odd...

-When I solo I tend not to use scales instead jumping from relevant modes creating arpeggio's when I can to try to follow the chord progression otherwise as I said ,modes.

-I sing in English, Latin and Afrikaan.

-I'm not sure if its unique but I have a picture of my girlfriend on my pedal board.

-I sometimes play 'Slippery when wet' by the commodores when my drummer and bassplayer go get something to drink.
what's chicken picking?

oh and i should add that i'm a HUGE perfectionist, i say too much, but hey, it should pay off in the long run. if i play even one or two notes that aren't PERFECT then i slow down and start over at a different tempo
@ linfield44: Chicken picking is a technique where you use the pick to hit the bottom strings and your other fingers to hit the top strings (usually middle and ring fingers.) It's used a lot for country and blues, so you could look there for examples- other than that, Zakk Wylde uses a lot of chicken picking and there are plenty of his videos on YouTube that you can find with examples of the technique.
I do a lot of "broken" chords. I also really like to abuse feedback + wah.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
I play a right hand guitar left handed without restringing it. I also use a lot of "exotic" sounding scales like phrygian dominant and harmonic minor.
Quote by :-D
@ linfield44: Chicken picking is a technique where you use the pick to hit the bottom strings and your other fingers to hit the top strings (usually middle and ring fingers.) It's used a lot for country and blues, so you could look there for examples- other than that, Zakk Wylde uses a lot of chicken picking and there are plenty of his videos on YouTube that you can find with examples of the technique.

oh, so it's just hybrid picking?
Quote by :-D

Is chicken picking different from hybrid picking?

When playing leads, a lot of the time, I pick quite close to the neck. I like how it sounds there
Quote by linfield44
oh, so it's just hybrid picking?

hybrid picking and chicken picking are not the same thing I dont know why they told you that. Chicken is when you pull a string away from the body and release it, it's like a pop on a bass guitar.
Well, I play slide, which automatically separates me from most of the other guitarists at my school.....metalheads and such....
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
i hold my pick with 3 fingers, instead of 2. and i always improvise in this scale...

------------------------------------5-8----|
----------------------------6-8-9----------|
-----------------------5-7------------------|
--------------5-6-7------------------------|
---------5-8--------------------------------|
----5-8-------------------------------------|
I only use Dunlop .73 Nylon's for rhythm, and I play lead finger/thumbstyle a la Jeff Beck or Mark Knofler, unless it involves pinch harmonics, in which case I bust out a Jazz III. I have a bit of double-sided tape on my guitar that I attach both kinds of picks to for easy switching. I also use .11's or .12's depending on what's available at my local music shop, I can't play anything lighter. I use my volume pedal on every single note I play, whether to control attack/decay, general volume, or to create tremolo effects. Every note gets vibrato. Every note. I abuse behind the nut behinds, especially in combo with the pinch harmonics.
I tend to use a lot of vibrato like Marty Friedman. It became a habit for me ever since I seen my old guitar teacher doing them.
yea, people are confusing chicken and hybrid picking. chicken picking is like where you pull up on more than one string and release it so it pops the neck. hybrid is using your fingers and the pick at the same time.

as for me, I'm not as picky about my picks (lol) as most guitarists, I just don't like really flimsy picks.
for some reason when I solo, most of the time I start picking higher and higher without realizing it... like I've found myself picking around the 17th fret before without consciously doing it.
And if I'm feeling lazy or I'm playing a mellow kinda song I tend to use more legato, whereas when I'm more into it, or playing more exciting songs I tend to use it less.... but then I also use more legato when playing really fast stuff since my left hand is faster than my right.
and a little technique I came up with, but may already be used, when playing my own riffs, sometimes I'll play something and then palm mute ut, instead of palm muting as I play. it gives a BOOom sound
When I play nice and easy part of my solos, I make my guitar stand just like how Slash and Syn Gates do it. Then, when I play rhythm, I bang my head as I put my left leg forward and the guitar's neck points forward... Hehehe....
I solo exclusively with the neck pick-up and must have some sort of reverb/echo.

Playing wise, I love adding passing notes when soloing, and I love the sound of the minor blues pentatonic but starting on the third note (A little like the major pentatonic). I love using legato and vibrato techniques and also love tremolo picking. I also love adding country style 6ths into my solos as well.
Page 1 of 4