Well my new guitar is being shipped to me via UPS from Illinois. It has been stuck in Chicago for about 3 days now. I am pretty sure the guitar is cold inside the packaging. Then it will get put on a slightly warmer aircraft. And then into the cold again, and then into my 70 degree home. I plan on leaving it in the package for like two hours when it arrives so it can slowly acclimate to the temperature without damaging it.

Do you think that because of these temperature changes the neck could warp?

Any knowledge is welcome, I am really worried.
i think that would only really affect it if there was pressure on the neck...

play in drop c or something for a while, after all, how can you wait for a few hours to play a new guitar?
Depending on the temperature of the guitar when it gets there, i would let it sit. A rapid change in temp or humidity could damage not only the neck, but the body as well.

BTW. Most cargo planes are colder than outside temps, due to the fact that they are not climate controlled, and it's real cold 7 miles up.
ya its like in the negative forty or fifites (f) at cruising altitude
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Quote by Tedward
i think that would only really affect it if there was pressure on the neck...

play in drop c or something for a while, after all, how can you wait for a few hours to play a new guitar?

How long is a while.
My friend got a yamaha once for christmas, his parents hid it in the garage. The garage was probably at like 40 degrees. He started playing it right then and within 3 days the guitar neck got so warped that he returned it for a replacement.
12 hours or so to be safe. it is wood, after all, it will take a little while to warm up. it would be best if you could find some place to put it for a few hours that was somewhere between outside temp and your house temperature. what causes warping is high difference between temperatures on parts of the body. even if you leave it in the packaging there is still that difference in temperature of parts of the body/neck after the packaging warms up.
Last edited by frig at Feb 9, 2008,