Hey guys. For starters, I like to **** with things and electrical things are a plus. Now that I have my Metal Muff, I decided it was time to play with the DS1. Its apart now and I am waiting to decide on what to do to it, I have several sites I reading and evaluating, but also other semi experimental ideas I want to try. My question is on brand/types of resistors, caps, and other stuff that one would replace when modding a pedal. Is there certain kinds of caps and/or resistors that work better? There is a store like a 15 minute bus ride away that is like a "geek surplus" store.... they have so much cool **** there! They have a vast array of caps, resistors, diodes, transistors, and whatever else you might need, but being that everything is so cheap I am wondering on quality and all that. Do you think this stuff would work ok, or would it be a good idea to get better stuff? I'm not worried about money either, though I want to keep it within reason (basically I dont want to spend $100 modding my $25 guitar pedal). Thanks guys! I think if this one goes well, the Crybaby will have to get a little tweakage, plus I think I am going to get an SD-1 to mod as well.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
Dude, I don't mean to be a d!ck, but this question is asked very often. Please do us a favor and read the pedal building thread thoroughly: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=630592

I think that the components at the store you found would work just fine

Just a caveat: metal film resistors, and silver mica, polyester, and paper caps are better, but negligibly so in a pedal. Germanium sounds smoother than silicon.

If you aren't clear about something after reading for several hours, let us know.
I doubt you'll hear the difference between brands of resistors full stop, and with your amp you probably won't even hear the difference between types of capacitors.
The mod is good, but doesn't replace a cranked tube amp. Just go with metal film resistors (mainly for noise reasons), ceramic caps for the small ones and MKT for the 1uf caps.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by Losenger
Dude, I don't mean to be a d!ck, but this question is asked very often. Please do us a favor and read the pedal building thread thoroughly: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=630592

I think that the components at the store you found would work just fine

Just a caveat: metal film resistors, and silver mica, polyester, and paper caps are better, but negligibly so in a pedal. Germanium sounds smoother than silicon.

If you aren't clear about something after reading for several hours, let us know.

Aw, my bad dude. I always try to do some reading and searching before I ask a question and I remember reading things about which ones to use, but I dont remember anything about why or which ones not to use. I have read that link you gave me too, but apparently not good enough . Right before I posted this I looked through the beginners guide to modding or whatever one of the stickies is, but I was so tired last night I just said screw it.

Thanks for answering the question though, I appreciate it. I think this morning I am going to finish up looking at what exactly I want to do to it and go over there this afternoon. I guess I think that I will just do it, then if I still am not satisfied I can order some nice caps and stuff or whatever. I'll post up when I finish it, thanks again guys.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
Well, I did some modding yesterday and I have to say that I am semi pleased with myself. I picked up a handful of resistors at 5 cents apiece at the geek store, but the caps were all >1uF. Off to Radioshack I was. Now, I knew they would be overpriced, but holy ****! I figured there would be like a ~20% markup or something, but I am dead serious when I say I paid a solid 2-3x MINIMUM what I would have paid from Small Bear! I guess I learned my lesson for sure. I've been looking for a while at what chorus and compressor I want to get, and I think I've decided on the BYOC 5 knob compressor and a CE-2 clone. I will probably get the PCB for the CE-2 by itself and hit up small bear after that comes. I kinda want to get a new guitar and amp soon, but these pedals are good, cheap fun in the mean time. I think I will just let the DS-1 sit for a while and I will just make one huge order from Small Bear in a while when I figure out what I need for the CE-2 and can generate a little extra cash. I think I'll just order a few of a wide variety of stuff so I can build/mod/fix at my leisure. Thanks for the help again guys.
Chain:
... And look at other electronics suppliers online, like allelectronics, electronic goldmine, parts express, newark, jameco, mouser, mcm, digi-key, herbach and rademan, alltronics, etc.