Ill probably get in trouble for this, but

If anyone is interested in the Fender Super Champ XD, I have posted a review of it in the reviews section.

db
Does it clip badly like an SS? Does it have that tube sound?

Clean channel distort at high volumes?

And could you compare it to another amp, in terms of size and weight?

I expect it to be portable. Expecting more input from you in the reliability section when you think you've had it for a long enough time.

Thanks for the review btw.
Are you looking for a zombie online game?
Join the survivors at Dead Frontier
Coming out March 2008

DON'T GET A MARSHALL MG OR A LINE 6 SPIDER.
Put this in your sig if you don't like the usual threads about these amps.
Last edited by splat102 at Feb 9, 2008,
It does have that tube sound. And no, it doesnt clip badly like an SS. Compared to my first amp, this is a god.
I havent had the clean channel at a particularly high volume, but running up at about 6 ish its still clean.
Id say its about the same size as a Pro Junior, as for weight i dunno really. It's lighter than my mates Fender Frontman Reverb though. If memory seves, its 11KG, so its not too heavy, but you wouldnt wanna go for a run with it.
It is portable and i take it all over the place with me. It has got a bit of wood and a metal grille that protect the tubes from being smashed, but that doesnt stop me worrying every time i put it in the car.
Thanks man!

Might be good as a first amp too.
Are you looking for a zombie online game?
Join the survivors at Dead Frontier
Coming out March 2008

DON'T GET A MARSHALL MG OR A LINE 6 SPIDER.
Put this in your sig if you don't like the usual threads about these amps.
Oh almost definitely. Just loud lol. I mean seriously, im pretty much the loudest person in our band (unless the bassist turns his amp right up, bits fell off the ceiling when he did that). But yeah, it gets very loud, very quickly.
If I am not mistaken, this is a "vintage modified" of the original super champ, so it's a real tube amp, but effects was replaced with DSP.

If the price is good, perhaps it could serve well as a mod job. How's the DSP effects?

P.S. In comparison, it does makes me wonder about its operation: In the modenr version, it has one 12AX7A and two 6V6, but in the original has 1x 7025, 1x 6c10, 1x 12AT6, and the 2 6v6 (champ II use 2x 7025, for both preamp and phase inverter) So it's curious why it can run with only 1x 12AX7
Last edited by Jestersage at Feb 9, 2008,
The DSP effects are ggod in my opinion. Ill give a full run down for you though, as thats a bit vague.

Vibratone:
Rotating Baffle, Slow : This effect is quite odd, but used subtely it sounds reallly nice. Used too much and it makes you feel seasick.
Ratating Baffle, Fast : Very similar to the slow version, just smoother. It sounds good when used in conjunction with a wah, on 'Pictures Of Matchstick Men' by Status Quo (my cover of it atleast, on the main riff. Doubt it was used on the original)
Delay:
130 ms - Slapback: This is nice and sounds good on the clean channel, playing some sort of Chuck Berry type stuff.
300 ms - Slightly more than the slapback, gives back a repetition of about one note(ish) it sounds good.
450 ms - Slightly more than the 300ms, doesnt really do much more than the 300 ms one.
In all honesty, i don't use the delay much, but that is because my Marshall Echohead gives me a wider range of options, in Delay Terms.
Reverb:
Large Room: This is the one that I use most of all. It gives a really nice reverb sound.
Concert Hall: This is really nice, but gives a really spacey sound, so i use it less often. It gets used when i play more 'out-there' psychedelic music though.
Classic Fender Spring Reverb : This is nice, but it needs to be used more subtely, as it has a pretty big effect on the tone.
Reverb and Delay : this is the Large room reverb with the 300 ms Delay.
Chorus:
Fast Sweep : A nice fast chorus effect.
Deep Sweep: A deeper yet nice chorus effect.
Chorus and delay : Deep Chorus and 300 ms delay
Chorus and Reverb : Deep Chorus and Lerge Room Reverb.
again, I own a chorus pedal and so use that more often than this effect.
Tremolo:
Low Speed: This sounds like you are being thrown around slowly in a washing machine. Its a really odd effect and quite an acquired taste. Subtle use is pretty much a must.
Medium Speed: Like a washing machine on the cool down of its cycle. Again really odd and subtle use is needed.
High Speed: A washing machine in full spin cycle. I like this one the most. Best description of it songwise? Id say the intro to Boulevard Of Broken Dreams (Green Day). Again, subtle use is best, but i dont mind having the effect level on full with this one.
Quote by darthbuttchin
Oh almost definitely. Just loud lol. I mean seriously, im pretty much the loudest person in our band (unless the bassist turns his amp right up, bits fell off the ceiling when he did that). But yeah, it gets very loud, very quickly.

hey man, I'm really interested in this amp... I am stuck between this and the blues jr.. I will eventually try them both but I was wondering do you think the super champ xd would be able to hold its own in a small gig, bar-like venue?