I just got my Mex fat strat yesterday and was very excited but when i opened the box it looked like it had been played, the pickguard had marks onit and there was a little dinge in the back, Im really annoyed. It makes me worry now that it was a display model and there could be problems with it internaly, its my first electric and i know very little about them nd i just wana make sure that im not gona run into probs with it later. I ordered it brand new of thomann.de. Also when tunning the bottom string it broke and i only went up 2 notes higher than E. Has anybody with this guitar had problems with tunning because i cant get it to stay in tune, maybe its something i need to do like tighten the knobs or something. I hear people talk about getting it set up, what does that mean? Thanx for any help guys.
Getting it set-up basically means having it adjusted. It's to make is more playable, so they'd adjust the height of the strings, maybe the truss rod, and any tuning problems in general.

Your E should probably snap if you took it up to G, I know mine would. I doubt there would be any internal problems if it was a display model, but if you ordered it from thomann who are an internet company, if I'm not mistaken, there are bound to be a few dents and scratches, if you take the plastic sticky sheeting stuff off it should be fine.
ye this is what worries me, i didnt get any of that plastic sheet over any of the guitar, i got this thin spongy plastic over it and it was just sitting in the guitar case. The silver plate thats on the back of the guitar has signs of plastic around the screws as if that plastic was there and now it isnt, was there supposed to be a plastic covering anywhere do u know? THanx again
Basically, there is plastic covering over all the plastic parts, and perhaps pickups. It isn't a huge problem, but remember, to put strings on, they're gonna have to play it first, to make sure the tuning is stable, and stretch the strings out.
I wouldn't worry yourself to be honest.

You're supposed to take the plastic off anyway so don't worry about that.

MONSTA EDIT:

Have you got any pics of it???
I have the Mexican Standard Strat, and there were no problems with mine. It's very rare that you can buy a brand new guitar, and have absolutely no minor imperfections in the finish. When you say marks on the pick guard, is it a lot as though it has been played lots, or just a few? If it's a few, chances are it's set up has been checked. Most come with a protective film on it, which could just be taken off.

With the tuning problems, if its a brand new guitar, the strings will naturally stretch and detune to begin with as they get themselves seated properly. This is the same every time you change strings. Just strum it reasonably hard and do some string bends to try to get most of the stretch out, and keep retuning it. Also with the strat, if you use the tremolo a lot that will detune it quicker.

As for internal problems, just plug it into an arm and play it altering all the settings like pickup, tone etc. If it sounds ok then it should be! If you're unsure, take it to a guitar shop and ask them to take a look at it, or someone you know who plays guitar.

Regarding set up, these are various changeable factors on the guitar, like the action (string height from fretboard), intonation (overall srting length), pick up height etc. There are several websites that can guide you through these steps for changing them, but as a beginner I wouldn't recommend changing too many things, otherwise you could ruin the set up if you don't know what you're doing. Again, if you want to make sure it's set up properly, take it to your local guitar shop.

A bit of a speech, but I think thats all. Sorry if most of this info is too basic, or equally if you don't get anything, or you want more help, either add another comment, or commnt on my profile.
E-ma, why oh why did you order on line, don't you have a guitar shop near you? sorry to sound brutal but it's your first electric guitar, you should really have tried a few out before buying, I'm guessing that as you managed to break the high E string because you tuned it 2 steps up from E that you are a newbie anyway, even more reason to buy from a local shop where you can get help and advice. If the guitar is damaged you will have the hassle of sending it back or putting up with the fact that you paid new price for a soiled guitar.
I wish I had tallent and ability.

Squier Vintage Modified Strat, Black with laquered 70s neck
Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
Quote by Andy Jarvis
E-ma, why oh why did you order on line, don't you have a guitar shop near you? sorry to sound brutal but it's your first electric guitar, you should really have tried a few out before buying, I'm guessing that as you managed to break the high E string because you tuned it 2 steps up from E that you are a newbie anyway, even more reason to buy from a local shop where you can get help and advice. If the guitar is damaged you will have the hassle of sending it back or putting up with the fact that you paid new price for a soiled guitar.

No, it's the cool thing these days, not drop D, up G!
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by Andy Jarvis

Damn right. Online stores are great for pedals and acessories, but when it comes to buying a guitar I'd rather support my local music shop any day. Even if you end up paying a bit more, you can pop in whenever you want and get help or advice.

As for your Strat, I almost guarantee there'll be nothing wrong with the electronics - that sort of thing gets picked up easily by QC. Those guitars can be sitting in a warehouse for months, so I'm not surprised the string snapped under increased tension. As for the cosmetic issues, you're best asking Thomann about that.

For the time being, get yourself a new set of strings - and don't forget to give 'em a good stretch! Most stock Fenders come with 10s, stick to that gauge for the time being. And don't worry about a set-up - it'd be a waste of money for now; a stock job will do fine for your first few months.
Either way, you shouldn't be posting on a forum asking about it, you should be writing to Thomann and seeing what they say....
As I bought my new MIM Strat today here's how it should've arrived. The Fender Sticker on the Scratch plate is on the protective film if it isn't then the guitar isn't new.
I wish I had tallent and ability.

Squier Vintage Modified Strat, Black with laquered 70s neck
Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
Last edited by Andy Jarvis at Feb 9, 2008,