Hey guys, im looking for an SS amp, maybe hybrid (but i read the tubes in it are useless) my range is approx 400$ american, playing rock to metal, some blues, so far looking at marshall mg250dfx, or fender frontman 212, looking for maybe a 2 12 but something loud, no tubes please.
thanks!
Pow-Chika-Wah-Wah
Pow-Chika-Chika-Wah-wah
....You have a Valveking, why would you possibly want something like a MG or Frontman!?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^ Really???
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^ Well, from his sig, I'd guess so, but it might be a lie of course...

Unless I misunderstand you?
I recommend buying a second-hand amp. A fender. New fenders in the 50-100 watt range are really expensive but 2nd hand they are affordable.
Don't is my advice....

Even from the VJ it's a serious downgrade, especially at that pricerange, in fact I would say if this is all true then it's one of the most ree-diculous threads I've ever heard.
Quote by MrCarrot
^ Well, from his sig, I'd guess so, but it might be a lie of course...

Unless I misunderstand you?

You misunderstand. I'm agreeing with you. As in, "Really??? Why would anyone with a Valveking feel the need for a powerful SS amp???"

Quote by Professor Fate
no still got the vk, just looking for an ss amp

So I'll ask: Why?

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
You misunderstand. I'm agreeing with you. As in, "Really??? Why would anyone with a Valveking feel the need for a powerful SS amp???"

So I'll ask: Why?

Ohhh!

+1 to 'Why?'
Roland Cube
Ibanez RG570
USA Strat
Epi Les Paul

Peavey Classic 30
Epi Valve Jnr
Laney LV200
Boss ME50
Daddy O
DC Solid Metal
GNX 3000
im a firm beliver in the Valveking...but soild state amps have merits too...id put my valvetronix up against a VK
There is no reason why any man/woman should spend his hard earned money on a solid state amp unless you need one for practice. SS has crappy tone compared to Tubes. Why would you want a solid state when you own a tube amplifier, please answer this.
if you're going to get a solid state amp get a good solid state amp not a MG or anything like that... but good solid state amps.. well, there aren't really any affordable decent solid state amps...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Why the hell would you want a second rate solid state amp to use instead of your Valveking?

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
honestly im a tube amp guy but ive heard solid states that i liked more than the valveking. People act like the valveking is a great amp here just because its got tubes in it. No one I know in person that has one is satisfied with it. I play on my friends from time to time and it sounds like crap. I remember back in the day he had a valveking and I had a solid state amp and I always sounded light years beyond him. Now I got a 6505. Carvin solid state amps are the best in my opinion. Tubes don't always mean better. I chose my lil kustom 16 watt solid state over the kustom 12 watt tube amp. The solid state tone killed it. Of course I love my 6505 tube amp. But only for gigs and band practice.
Quote by paranormal5150
honestly im a tube amp guy but ive heard solid states that i liked more than the valveking. People act like the valveking is a great amp here just because its got tubes in it. No one I know in person that has one is satisfied with it. I play on my friends from time to time and it sounds like crap. I remember back in the day he had a valveking and I had a solid state amp and I always sounded light years beyond him. Now I got a 6505. Carvin solid state amps are the best in my opinion. Tubes don't always mean better. I chose my lil kustom 16 watt solid state over the kustom 12 watt tube amp. The solid state tone killed it. Of course I love my 6505 tube amp. But only for gigs and band practice.

I hear you on all counts (except that the Kustom 12 is a hybrid), but look at the threadstarter's original query again:

Quote by Professor Fate
my range is approx 400$ american, playing rock to metal, some blues, so far looking at marshall mg250dfx, or fender frontman 212, looking for maybe a 2 12 but something loud, no tubes please. thanks!

That budget -or the amps he's looking at- aren't going to be landing him a SS amp superior to the Valveking, IMHO. And I have a bit of a reputation on this board of being somewhat anti-VK.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
no dont get an mg... thats no better than the valveking. Crate makes a 400 watt head that sounds bad ass you might could find one used around 400. I think that thing blows away a lot of tube amps ive heard. Its extremly loud like a tube amp and they gave it 400 watts so it doesnt sound muddy when its up really loud. I love the tone of it.
Quote by slatsmania
I hear you on all counts (except that the Kustom 12 is a hybrid), but look at the threadstarter's original query again:

That budget -or the amps he's looking at- aren't going to be landing him a SS amp superior to the Valveking, IMHO. And I have a bit of a reputation on this board of being somewhat anti-VK.

I agree that the amps he's looking at aren't better. The 12 watt was a hybrid? I didnt know really because i only had like 5 minutes with it and just hated it. I think people who are new to tube amps and get a valveking might turn on them though. Because it just doesnt have the tone that they are used to. I know if my first tube amp would have been a valveking i would have been like... this isnt what its cracked up to be. Solid state has come a long way and I could understand wanting some. Im a hybrid guy in a way. I knew this guy who had a solid state preamp and a mesa 2:100 power amp (tube) and that tone was better than any ive ever heard. It had the saturated gain like a solid state but was extremly loud and warm because of the tubes. I will probably go this route next time.
I'm still waiting to hear from the TS why he want a SS amp. He hasn't said he dislikes his VK, just that he wants a powerful SS amp. I don't get it.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I can almost bet its because he listened to everyone about tubes were better and went with the valveking because its all he could afford and now he thinks that tubes arent what hes looking for. Although thats probably not the case its just that amp has ruined it for a lot of people. I know 3 people in person who sold their valveking for a solid state amp.
^the jazz chorus is 800... and usually 600 used... its a nice amp, but out of his range
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by JMTrio134
Dude, if you're even considering a SS, it's obvious you don't honestly have a VK.

Go with a Roland Cube 60.

i disagree... if he was going to LIE about having a tube amp he wouldn't lie about having a ****ing valveking man lol. I think he does have the valveking and it dont deliver the tone he's looking for. Like I said. Saw this many times.
Well if you can muster up another 90 bucks, The Carvin Nomad is 490 and is all tube 50 watts. Carvin are very solid amps.
Jackasses. >_>

SRSLY, if TS wants a solid state amp, that's his business. He asked you not to say anything.

I'd recommend Spider III, because I absolutely love mine. If you don't agree, that's great, but don't turn the thread into a warzone.