Are there different kinds of cabs like tube or solid state? (I know, it's a really stupid question.)
a cab is a box with speakers,some wires, and other stuff in it....it cant really be classified as either i guess...
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
Ibanez S470 DXQM
Boss DD-6
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Quote by moulpatr
a cab is a box with speakers,some wires, and other stuff in it....it cant really be classified as either i guess...

+1.

Cabs are generally priced differently depending on what they are made of, MDF vs Baltic Birch Ply. Also, the kind of speakers they contain.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Slant, Straight, Open-backed and Closed-back are the different types of cabs. Not to mention the ohms..
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
OK thanks. I was thinking that there were no such thing as solid state or tube cabs, I was just making sure.
No, Mesa Standard Rec FTW...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by stevenexp
Marshall 1960a FTW!

+1
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
Ibanez S470 DXQM
Boss DD-6
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Quote by Zanon
if you want a monster, get a vadar

Agreed. Vadar cabs are the most impressive thing ive heard. Ive tried out tons of cabs and I love vadar and b-52 cabs. people dog b-52 cabs here but they sound so much better than anything else under 500 bucks.
Apart from speakers, cabs can be better based simply on the quality of whatever makes up the cabinet, and the workmanship in general.

For example, a cabinet made out of MDF or particleboard won't cost nearly as much as a birch cabinet, but it also won't be as durable.

EDIT: Oh, and to the guy above me, I love my B-52 cabinet. It's built like a rock, and it sounds great. I got my B-52 AT-412 cabinet for $150, and it's probably the best $150 I've ever spent.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Last edited by rafarquhar at Feb 9, 2008,
Quote by dsubstanceuk
The thing I want to know is, apart from the speaker, how is one cabinet better than another?

Well aside from the speaker, the wood its made out of and how the wood is put together. My cab is a solid piece of wood cut out and not plywood. Also the way the speakers are slanted and wired in. And how much wattage the entire cab can handle. Mine handles 480 watts so ill never blow it.