Well I should have my SSS American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster by next week, which I'm very pleased about. I was planning on getting rid off my Squire as a result, but I've come to quite like the humbucker setup in a strat.

It's a seven string of which I can't find any info on the net. Humbuckers at bridge and the neck which sound pretty good for a Squire. I bought this guitar about 8 years ago and it's in excellent condition, and I believe it's of the higher end of the Squire brand also. Here it is -

I'm thinking - a new nut, locking tuners and nicer humbuckers. Would it be worth it? Or is there no point on a Squire?

I've never modded a guitar before mind, thought it might be a good starting project.

They are not really rare. I remember my local GC had about 100 of them in 2000-2001.
You might want to try and find out what the body is made out of first though, to make sure it's worth it. It's either made out of alder, agathis, or maybe even basswood.

I'd probably do it either way though. If you want to try and not break the bank, try http://www.guitarfetish.com

I recently picked up a set of their version of rails for my Tele, and while the name is somewhat gay (Lil' Puncher), they're solid pickups.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
I'd definitely hang onto it. Put in a new neck altogether (maple would look better imo) and then better humbuckers than the stock ones. That'd be a mean machine!
Quote by Tomaz24
Well I should have my SSS American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster by next week, which I'm very pleased about. I was planning on getting rid off my Squire as a result, but I've come to quite like the humbucker setup in a strat.

It's a seven string of which I can't find any info on the net. Humbuckers at bridge and the neck which sound pretty good for a Squire. I bought this guitar about 8 years ago and it's in excellent condition, and I believe it's of the higher end of the Squire brand also. Here it is -

I'm thinking - a new nut, locking tuners and nicer humbuckers. Would it be worth it? Or is there no point on a Squire?

I've never modded a guitar before mind, thought it might be a good starting project.

I think it would be a great project. Plus it's a good looking guitar anyway. I became quite attached to my Squire and decided to mod it a little rather than sell it for next to nothing. Keep it and do it up!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson DC Pro Custom shop
Fender American Stratocaster - Vintage custom
Fender Squier Strat
Fender Standard Telecaster
There's an off chance that it'll be worth something down the line (the 7 strings are fairly hard to find), but it would be a fun mod project! Just beware, 7-string parts are slightly trickly to find.
Quote by IceTele
They are not really rare. I remember my local GC had about 100 of them in 2000-2001.

But are there any around now? Also I'm in the UK, which might make a difference. It just seems impossible to find any site with info on it, or anyone who's even heard of it for that matter.

Quote by rafarquhar
You might want to try and find out what the body is made out of first though, to make sure it's worth it. It's either made out of alder, agathis, or maybe even basswood.

I thought basswood was one of the best woods around? I'm guessing it'll be one of the other two. How would I go about finding out?

Quote by Don_Humpador
Did you buy it used? 'Cause it looks modded to me..

Nope. First hand and I've done nothing to it!

Quote by the.spine.surfs
There's an off chance that it'll be worth something down the line (the 7 strings are fairly hard to find), but it would be a fun mod project! Just beware, 7-string parts are slightly trickly to find.

Indeed, I've noticed that already but I think I'll give it a try anyway. My biggest fear is ordering the locking tuners as I'm guessing they probably come in sets of six.

--------------

Right then, cheers for the support everyone. I think I will mod it then. Does anyone know anywhere I can check out sound bites of pickups and stuff?