Poll: ESP custom Eclipse, or Jackson RR24?
Poll Options
View poll results: ESP custom Eclipse, or Jackson RR24?
ESP
32 63%
Jackson
19 37%
Voters: 51.
Hey all,

I own a Gibson Faded SG with Burstbuckers, and an Ibanez JEM7VWH.

I want a guitar that could handle some heavier stuff. My JEM is decent for that but those DiMarzios don't quite scream metal. It's great for stuff like Vai, Gilbert and Friedman, but it feels like it just lacks that little extra crunch for thrash metal.

I'm looking at two guitars right now, an ESP Eclipse with some customized parts, and a Jackson RR24. They're both used but assuming that they're both in fine condition, what would be better?

ESP's specs are as follows:
Custom-made in Japan (mid 90s)
Neck pup: custom '59 (similar to a Gibson '59)
Bridge pup: Dimebucker for bridge.
Both wired with push-pull pots. Pots are 500k
24 jumbo frets, 25.75" scale. NO FRETWEAR

The RR24 is a stock model.

The price for the ESP is around $730, the RR is in the 850-900 range.

The ESP seller was friendly enough to show me some pics and there's no noticeable wear n' tear, dings etc. on the guitar. Even if there was, if it's nothing big and doesn't affect the playing and sound, I don't give a damn.

How would you rate the customizations on the ESP. I'm especially worried about that damn Dimebucker. I've played a Dean a while ago that had them and I personally thought it wasn't too bad, but I've heard some negative feedback about it.

I love how the Jackson has an ebony fretboard and OFR, but it only has an EMG81 with no tone knob...plus I'm not that fond of the V shape (it's badass but playing while sitting down would be problematic).

What would you get, if you were in my shoes? I plan to play stuff like Megadeth, Testament, Kreator and Sepultura for Thrash, and might even crank out some Children of Bodom (esp. if I end up getting the Jackson). This is largely for chugging, heavy riffs on rhythm, as my JEM does everything a lead guitar should do.
Last edited by ZylitoL at Feb 10, 2008,
You're gonna miss that neck pickup. Go with the Eclipse. If you're worried about the Dimebucker, just swap it out.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Custom ESP for 730? What are you waiting for?
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
i have a dfh and the dimebucker is sweet on that. but for all the metal i might go with the rr seeing as my friend has one and it is awesome
Quote by Andjustice.....

i could see that being liek a sign at an entrace to a theme park ,"remember to always be safe dont litter and remember to have a nice day in my pants!"

Quote by Robbie n strat
"If you listen really carefully, you can hear carrots scream when you cut them."
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You're gonna miss that neck pickup. Go with the Eclipse. If you're worried about the Dimebucker, just swap it out.

Hmm interesting idea.
I was wondering why a lot of people dislike Dimebucker? It was fine when I played it....albeit it was for about 2 minutes on low volume, so maybe I missed something.

Doesn't Alexi play lead on a near-identical ESP with EMG81?
Sorry for double posting.
Quote by dead-fish
Custom ESP for 730? What are you waiting for?

So do all custom ESPs = awesome? I'm not familiar with them and was looking for some indepth thoughts on this specific one.

I'm leaning towards the ESP right now, but not for any reasons that couldn't be changed.
Quote by ZylitoL
News..

How does a barely used RR5 sound for 950?

Try them out and see which on you like better. When it all comes down to it, you're the one who has to play the thing, not us. The ESP will be the better quality axe though.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I'd go for the ESP, but definitely swap that Dimebucker out as soon as possible.
Yeah that's true.

I'm leaning towards the ESP and then swapping Dimebucker later on when I get more cash.

Thanks a lot for your inputs.
ESP is a untrustworthy brand, don't buy from them, if anything goes wrong your done for because you have to ship to overseas, overpriced crap.
Quote by DSchmitty
ESP is a untrustworthy brand, don't buy from them, if anything goes wrong your done for because you have to ship to overseas, overpriced crap.

... You're kidding, right? ESP (actual ESPs, not LTDs) is known for its quality control and top-notch materials. Hell, even the mid/upper-level LTDs are great guitars.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Try them out and see which on you like better. When it all comes down to it, you're the one who has to play the thing, not us. The ESP will be the better quality axe though.

+1

Actual ESPs are brilliant and play great. Also, nice one on being a Friedman man TS!
For what its worth, why not look up a used JAckson USA? Also, I hate when people called customized guitars "Custom" They aren't custom, they are a normal guitar someone monkeyed with.
Quote by Mwoit
+1

Actual ESPs are brilliant and play great. Also, nice one on being a Friedman man TS!

Yeah I sure hope so. Friedman is my all time favorite guitarist...(insert generic comment about exotic scales, emotional playing etc. etc.). He's awesome and I'm totally looking forward to his next album due in March!!
Quote by CJRocker
Also, I hate when people called customized guitars "Custom" They aren't custom, they are a normal guitar someone monkeyed with.

Oh really. Well it does say ESP Custom Guitars at the back of the headstock, enclosed in a circle. Like this...

/------------\
| ESP |
| Custom |
| Guitars |
\------------/

lol I'm pretty bored right now.
Anyways I think (and hope!) it's custom shop.

I'm gonna try it out really soon and hopefully I'll like it!

Here are the photos of the guitar...

It's 24 frets and a bolt-on neck. Does this seem like bull****?
If it was truly a custom job, then he could technically have gotten that combination, but I think I'll let someone else chime in on this.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Well I don't know how much ESP production has changed, but from what the ESP website is telling me, the only Eclipse-shaped guitar that has bolt-on neck and 24 frets is the cheapass EC-50 and Ec-100.

I don't see that color paintjob on any production line axe however. Of course, it could have just simply been painted over later on when it was modded.

I've requested a serial number. Maybe that'll clear things up...
Is there a circular 'ESP Custom Shop' logo on the back of the head stock near the volute?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I don't know how that pic didnt get posted, but here it is.

Like CJRocker pointed out, this could be a sticker like the one in this ad.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ESP-Custom-Back-Headstock-White-Decal-BUY-2-GET-3_W0QQitemZ350022830789QQihZ022QQcategoryZ7266QQcmdZViewItem
But I assume that if it was a 10 dollar sticker, it would be noticeable. It would probably peel off or feel unnatural there.

I'll make sure to do that when I try it out.
The guy emailed me back when I asked him some questions regarding the odd, low price of the axe.
Quote by Seller
Those guitars you found on ESP websites or some other websites are made in USA, which greatly increases the the price due to expensive labour cost.

The guitar I'm offering was made in Japan. Therefore it's much more cheaper. However, the quality is definitely on par with its MIU counter-parts. Another reason that the current ESP Eclipse custom guitars are so expensive is that they are all neckthru which also increases the production cost.The market value for my guitar can fetch to $1000. However, I'm kinda having some problem financially, therefore I'm looking to sell it fast. But it does not mean I will accept any lower offer since the guitar is already a steal at this price. If you're an experienced guitar buyer, you must've surely heard of the superior quality of these MIJ guitars. This guitar I'm selling is easily comparable, if not better with a ESP eclipse standard, with some flavourable features i.e its weight, fitness, and neck profile. I don't really know about the current eclipse custom though, coz I haven't had a chance to try one yet. But according to my bandmate, they are really similar to the standard except for the neckthru feature.

The serial number on my guitar is 3**71.

I contacted those guys from ESP and they told me that they don't really have any info about MIJ ESP guitar
Please let me know your decision asap, since my bandmate is considering buying it

What do you guys make of this? :S
Quote by FRDesign
Whats MIU?

And also, I don't think they have MIA ESP's

Correct. As I said in PM, that looks like a modified EC-100. I call BS on it.
Personally I'd go for the RR24. But that guitar looks like it has the Dimbucker and SH-1 combo. I wouldn't worry about changing the pickups, I mostly love having this combo for the badass harmonics its produces. It was really made for leads though. You will really notice this when you play chords and such.
I'm probably gonna avoid this one.... It just seems sketchy and it's great that I would kick myself in the nuts over.

I'm looking into a 7-string now but we'll see how it goes.