well... I'm deciding between the ENGL Thunder 50 reverb combo or the MESA Rect-o-Verb combo. Which of these amps is more versatile for me, I'm playin with a 60s SG, riffin out Classic Bluesy Rock (SRV, Hendrix, ZZ TOP) to Thrash/NWOBHM (Judas Priest, Megadeth, Motorhead). I'm playin in a "Bluesmetal Band" and I need an amp that has that vintage grind, as well as that iron roar
That would be the Thunder. Rectos are a bit more high-gain than you're looking for.
Id probably go for the mesa but im into high gain amps. But ive heard classic rock played on dual rectifiers and it sounded awesome.
i must re-itterate. I will be happy with an amp that does higher gains, i just want something sort-of versatille
Rectoverb unless you're in Europe.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Rect-o-Verb
To a shredder, a second is a long time.

Member of the UG Gentlemen of Higher Thought Establishment.

Invite only, if you want to be considered, contribute well to UG, and respect others as much as possible!
ya recto verb the engl will be brighter
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by Highwaytohell
the cheapest ive seen a mark 4 is 1600... im trying to keep it under 1100

I've seen Mark IV's used at Guitar Center for $1,300, you'd have to be able to get one for $1,000 on ebay. But anyways if thats not what your looking to do then the Recto is great but its more of a rythme guitarist amp. I suppose you could use a boost for leads and I've never tried an ENGL so I can't say much about that.
if anything - the Screamer - oh yeah, mentioned ^

but Thunder is Zep sorta thing - you seemingly need more
i haven't tried the thunder, but if you're in the US there are probably better-value options.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you're in the US, the Mesa. If your in europe/UK then ENGL Screamer all the way.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
they sell the engls on musicians friend... but perhaps i would indeed be getting a better deal with the Rectos b/c they are cheaper here in the USA... I'm sort of skeptical on the Mark IV though. Could it achieve Lamb of god-esqe tones?
Quote by Highwaytohell
they sell the engls on musicians friend... but perhaps i would indeed be getting a better deal with the Rectos b/c they are cheaper here in the USA... I'm sort of skeptical on the Mark IV though. Could it achieve Lamb of god-esqe tones?

Lol, LOG use Mark IVs...
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Irony... i thought they were using 6505s, or was that arch enemy... dammit! I'm not sure. The clips i've heard from the Mark 4 didn't really pull through on the Hi-gain, crunch (tight but thick)...
Quote by Highwaytohell
Irony... i thought they were using 6505s, or was that arch enemy... dammit! I'm not sure. The clips i've heard from the Mark 4 didn't really pull through on the Hi-gain, crunch (tight but thick)...

Arch Enemy = 5150 (older), Doomsday Machine = Kranks, Rise of Tyrant = some Randall.
And yeah, LOG do use Mark IV.
Any more bands?
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by Highwaytohell

You'd have to play a Mark IV to know what kind of gain it has and what potential tone's it has as well.

They have a tremendous amount of bass. The low-mid range tone really cuts through. When you hear a band that uses Mark IV's tone, thats the part of the EQ that stands out.

Probably the best interpretation of 1 mark IV tone would be Dream Theater- constant motion. It's not hard to get that exact tone with a Mark IV. Lamb of Gods tone takes a bit of tweaking, and the fact that they use 2 with opposite EQ's...not something you can really achieve with one.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Ah... well I don't really want petrucci's tone, despite its gretness, it never sounded ultra-thick to me, it was always a little thinner (b/c mostly to his more melodic rythym lines, less chords) Remind me again, how much do Mark IVs run for? I cant seem to find the price guide online (or its blocked )
If you want that massive low end gain tone that is pretty smooth go mesa.
If you want a less smooth tone that has more character go engl.

With that said, try them both out side by side. They're actually pretty similar because they're both hot rodded fenders.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
So the Mesa will have more bass response? perhaps it's better that i go with it... b/c the dealer that carries ENGLs is far far away and it will be hard for me to get there, but the Mesa i tried blew me away (it had only a little less gain than i wanted, nothing an OCD can't fix!) but it still kicked ass... and I haven't heard particularly amazing things about the lower end ENGLs, (screamer, thunder). If anyone cares to challenge these than i welcome opinions!
Quote by Highwaytohell
I don't know... Can the Mark 4 get really chunky megadeth-like tone?

Im gonna go out on a limb, but from what i hear about this amp, YES.
Quote by Highwaytohell
I don't know... Can the Mark 4 get really chunky megadeth-like tone?

The Megadeth tone is probably the easiest tone you can get with that amp. Set the EQ pretty flat, crank the gain. Using 2 EL34s+2 6L6's, tweed power...great megadeth tone.

Scoop it a bit, put it on full power...Metallica, dream theater, hell, anyone really.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
well, thanks everybody for your help. I'm trying not to be stubborn or ignorant here, but after hearing clips of both amps, and having some personall experiance with rectos, i think the Rectoverb is the amp for me. The Mark 4 is a great amp, but its simply not getting the sound that I want (it may just be a matter of EQ but meh, it's more expensive anyways) Thanks all!