I am doing a lot of finger and picking exercises and I want to put them to good use. I love bluesy-metal type stuff but a lot of it is rather simple and doesn't challenge me physically.

The problem is that all this Vai, Gilbert, and Malmsteen stuff is ok but it doesn't have that soulfull blues sound.

I do some Brian Setzer and SRV, but again they are all very easy to play, I need something that has a bit more balls.

Any particular song/band combinations would be great.
in this river solo. Black Label Society. very fast but very blues based.
Gear
ESP Vintage Plus
LTD M-II
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Line 6 Flextone IIIXL
Quote by ixelion

I do some Brian Setzer and SRV, but again they are all very easy to play, I need something that has a bit more balls.

Wtf?
the solo from under a glass moon by dream theater has this blues feel to it, even though they are progessive metal. check it out.
anything by zakk wylde realy,
Too tired and lazy to bother with a sig, Sorry.
Thanks for all the suggestions, looks like I have a lot to choose from.

You guys recommend I listen to these songs or will tabs suffice? I want to be able to play them reasonably close to the studio recording.
Quote by hawk_kst
every slash solo ever written and most of panteras stuff (solo wise)

+1

EDIT: obviously listening to the songs makes you that much more accurate.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by ixelion
You guys recommend I listen to these songs or will tabs suffice? I want to be able to play them reasonably close to the studio recording.

Then you've answered your own question. How can you make somthing sound like a studio recording if you don't listen to the studio recording?
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play