I have a few techniques I want to learn to get me closer to Stevie's immortal sound.

The first technique is what he does in Rude Mood. It looks and sounds like he strums every string but mutes all the ones he doesn't actually fret? I don't really know what else to say other than how do you do it so cleanly? Any instruction on this would be great.

The second thing I want to learn is what Stevie does in Dirty Pool. In the intro he does a very fast strum with octaves on the high E and G string. Whenever I play it, i can't get the speed nor the consistency of every note being 32nd notes. How do you do this?

And the third thing, not exactly a Vaughan technique , but I want to learn how to play slide guitar. Is there a book you guys would recommend?

Thanks guys.
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

well for rude mood you are right he does strum and mute the strings. but not reall all of them. i doubt he strums and mutes all the way up to the high e string. prolly just up to the G or B. as for how to do it? well i suggest you learn pride and joy first. its pretty much the same progression and strumming only slower. the muting is basically done by having your index finger rest on the strings while playing. he does however let the strings ring out a bit for a short little bit here and there.

and the fast alternate picking just takes practice really. stevie also used the rounded side of the pick. i used to do it to and found it was easier to do things like that because the pick doesnt dig into the strings as much. but ive changed my style to more of an eric johnson style so i use the pointed end now.

and slide i just picked up by ear. SRV plays slide in open E and thats what i usually use as well.
First, to mute all the strings, just place your hand somewhere on all the strings you aren't playing. For muting the low E and/or A, I use my thumb, but that's just personal preference. It's tough to do cleanly at first, but just keep practicing this technique to get it down.

Second, for the tremolo strumming in Dirty Pool, use a loose wrist to strum over the end of the neck, like near the 19th-21th fret or so. It's really tough to do, but practice it and build up the stamina necessary for such a technique.

Third, I don't know of any slide books, just check your local guitar shops.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Muted strums - use your thumb to mute the strings above the note your fretting and your fingers for the strings below... takes practice.

For the fast strumming, like the guy above said you could use the rounded edge. Also try strumming on the fretboard as it will stop you digging in too much. Other than that, practice.

Slide guitar - Warren Haynes has a really good video - Electric blues and slide guitar.

Edit> looks like i was beaten too it
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
Quote by Kartman

Second, for the tremolo strumming in Dirty Pool, use a loose wrist to strum over the end of the neck, like near the 19th-21th fret or so. It's really tough to do, but practice it and build up the stamina necessary for such a technique.

is there a reason why you would strum on the actual fretboard?
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
is there a reason why you would strum on the actual fretboard?

So the pick doesn't dig into the strings as much (depending on how high your action is)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
for good blues slide you can look up dave hole and hound dog taylor (as well as previos mentioned playesr)...
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)