Ok, I'm looking to get a Dunlop Cry Baby and a Digitech Whammy for my Roland Cube 60. But, I'll have to use it through the clean channel, and I need overdrive/distortion.

I mianly play punk along the lines of an Anti-Flag sound and The Clash, and metal along the lines of Rage Against The Machine and Metallica.

Recommendations? I haven't decided on a budget yet, I just want to get to know some good pedals.
Well a distortion pedal isn't going to sound better than the distortion already on your roland cube. An overdrive pedal will help. I use a bad monkey tube overdrive with my tube amp but I also use it with my solid state practice amp. And it makes it tighter and gives it more gain. Of course its made for tube amps so it isn't going to push the tubes because there are none. But it will give you a more saturated gain and more lows and highs. No reason to buy a distortion pedal though trust me.
Thanks man, that's the exact sort of advice I'm looking for, I've only been playing about a year now and I want to start building a pedalboard.
Pedals through a solid state (that isn't a JC-120!)? bad idea man. Start saving up for a tube amp than worry about pedals.
Well you can only use 1 effect at a time on it, and I want a Wah and a Whammy, and I thought if I was playing it through the clean channel I'd need some form of overdrive so yeah..
Erm, overdrive sounds bad on SS I guess, unless it's a JC-120.

I believe that overdrive will clip a tube amp into OD. Now, it might distort an SS amp, but won't sound as good as a tube, 'cause it's clipping too.
Are you looking for a zombie online game?
Join the survivors at Dead Frontier
Coming out March 2008

DON'T GET A MARSHALL MG OR A LINE 6 SPIDER.
Put this in your sig if you don't like the usual threads about these amps.
I have a boss OD 20 overdrive/distortion pedal. don't think im ever going to buy another distortion pedal in my life.
where do you get that you can only use one pedal at a time on your amp man? And no you adjust the level on the bad monkey it wont clip your solid state amp. Never has mine anyway unless i turn the level way up.
Quote by papersun87
OD/distortion pedals sound bad on MODELING amps, not solid-state amps.

Edit: I suppose I should say not ALL solid-state amps.

this is untrue. Ill put up a sound clip of my Kustom solid state amp WITHOUT the bad monkey and then post one with the bad monkey. You'll be like wow thats a big difference. It sounds way tighter it gives it the gain I need. Or wait I just read that you said modeling amps. Mine isnt a modeler so yeah i dont know about that one. But id assume you are on a gain channel just like a solid state amp on a gain channel. it's sound tighter and give more gain.
'Cause it's a bad monkey. Right?
Are you looking for a zombie online game?
Join the survivors at Dead Frontier
Coming out March 2008

DON'T GET A MARSHALL MG OR A LINE 6 SPIDER.
Put this in your sig if you don't like the usual threads about these amps.
Quote by Soadfan8
I have a boss OD 20 overdrive/distortion pedal. don't think im ever going to buy another distortion pedal in my life.

I hated my os-2 overdrive/distortion for a while when i had a SS crate amp. I tried it on clean and the overdrive channel on the amp, i couldn't get anything good with it. Then i got a tube amp and the os-2 pedal became usable, but not great. then i found a mods for it, changed a few caps and it is now serving me very well. the overdrive side now sounds close to a ts9 and the distortion side sounds close to a RAT, and the pedal in general sounds more analog instead of digital. however the amp distortion is still far superior than that pedal on the clean channel.
Quote by paranormal5150
this is untrue. Ill put up a sound clip of my Kustom solid state amp WITHOUT the bad monkey and then post one with the bad monkey. You'll be like wow thats a big difference. It sounds way tighter it gives it the gain I need. Or wait I just read that you said modeling amps. Mine isnt a modeler so yeah i dont know about that one. But id assume you are on a gain channel just like a solid state amp on a gain channel. it's sound tighter and give more gain.

Yeah, I suppose I could have been clearer.

Solid state amp + od/dist pedal =

Modeling amp + od/dist pedal =
Hmmm ok guys thanks for clearing that up.

paranormal5150, when I said you could only have 1 effect active at a time, I was referring to the effects already on the Cube 60.
Quote by Highwaytohell
Pedals through a solid state (that isn't a JC-120!)? bad idea man. Start saving up for a tube amp than worry about pedals.

Analogue solid state amps and pedals get along fine, it's digital/modelling amps that don't so often agree with pedals.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Whammys and Wahs modulate (if that's the right word) the guitar before getting to the amp, rather than adding extra distortion, I think it might be alright, although I've never tried it. Try it in your music shop on a Cube.
Quote by I7arkside(Moon)
I hated my os-2 overdrive/distortion for a while when i had a SS crate amp. I tried it on clean and the overdrive channel on the amp, i couldn't get anything good with it. Then i got a tube amp and the os-2 pedal became usable, but not great. then i found a mods for it, changed a few caps and it is now serving me very well. the overdrive side now sounds close to a ts9 and the distortion side sounds close to a RAT, and the pedal in general sounds more analog instead of digital. however the amp distortion is still far superior than that pedal on the clean channel.

Hey, could you please tell me where you got those OS-2 mods? I've got one, and what you said is EXACTLY what I need.

Thanks!
i have a digitech distortion factory for my line6 spider II(which is a modeling amp) and as long as i have it on the clean channel with my amp gain turned all the way down, it sounds great. but the moment i turn it on the crunch, metal, or insane channels all i get is fuzz.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by BGSM
Hey, could you please tell me where you got those OS-2 mods? I've got one, and what you said is EXACTLY what I need.

Thanks!

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Boss/OS-2+Overdrive%2FDistortion/10/3

should be around the middle of the page, follow the links he left for some extra stuff.
Yes, and instead of a distortion pedal, just get the footswitch so you can switch between the channels.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.