Seeing as how my current guitar doesn't make me too happy, I think I need a new one. However, seeing as how I have a lot of expenses and having a new guitar is not at the top of my list, I need something that I could get for like 100-200 on ebay. I play things like Chevelle, Tool, Rage Against The Machine, Disturbed, Breaking Benjamin and Muse, which requires a variety of tunings so I need a guitar that can work well with drop B, C, D, and standard. I need something with lower action. I was looking at some Ibanez RGs, but most of them have tremolo and I don't want to deal with that. So can anyone help me out?
dude theres esp
THE KREATOR OF THE ALL METAL AND KERRY KING GROUP PM ME TO JOIN
Proud BLACK 13 Owner
RIP Charles Michael "Chuck" Schuldiner THE FATHER OF DEATH METAL
GOD HATES US ALL-SLAYER
There are hardtail RGs... and they're incredible value for their playability, although the pickups might need changing.

Quote by Withateethuh
.11s seem to work on my current guitar for drop b.

Wut?
Quote by Eminored
Schecters and ESPs are worth a look. Agiles if you don't mind buying before trying.

thats the ticket...a good ltd or agile should do it
Schecter ftw. a used Hellraiser or Damien is the way to go.
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
err.... I don't know. you can buy'em new too, but it's almost always a better deal to get one used.

On the other hand, Schecters are rather cheap when their new anyway.
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Schecters are love/hate. Their necks are very thick, which a lot of people don't like. I'd advise you try one out before you order anything.

If you like thin necks, Ibanez Ibanez Ibanez.
Quote by Withateethuh
How are ESP necks?

Bit thicker than Ibanez/Jackson, not as thick as Gibson, Schecter, Dean etc.

Their M necks are nice and thin. Avoid painted necks if you can; I know it's all about preference, but they just slow most guitar players down.
I found a decent MH-100QM that might be good for me. Can't seem to find any good Schecters in my price range.

Edit: How's the clean on ESP LTDs?
Last edited by Withateethuh at Feb 9, 2008,
They're only as good as your amp is, as with any guitar

Unless I'm much mistaken, that guitar is made out of agathis, which is tantamount to plywood. Head for a cheap Ibanez RG, where at least you'll get basswood.
Quote by Withateethuh
.11s seem to work on my current guitar for drop b.

sir. you are greatly mistaken.
Quote by Withateethuh
I found a decent MH-100QM that might be good for me. Can't seem to find any good Schecters in my price range.

i have an ESP LTD m-1000, and it has EMG 81's. both are 81, there is no 85. the clean is absolute **** man. but thats not what i got the guitar for, i got it to rip. and some of the LTDs are actually really well made IMO. if a guy at ESP in the states is having a crap day and comes in hungover, he'll make a crap guitar. If some LTD korean makin minimum wage takes your guitar as the work that will define him, you'll have a siiiiick LTD.

i also have an ESP LTD M-50. the clean is crap as well, but its from the stock pickups hahah
ibanez rg321, its a hardtail and goddamn awesome
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by Withateethuh

Eh, I'd go for the new ones, since they're basswood. Also, I'd try going for a hardtail version...look for NT at the end. The Ibanez is also good.

And ESP necks are awesome...not too thin, but comfortably shaped. To my knowledge, they aren't painted in any way.
I just grabbed Schecter Gryphon for $200 from GC. It was used, but was literally MINT condition. I suggest you go on GC's website and look at the used gear. You can call up any of their stores and have them ship the guitar you want to you. They even took the shipping out of it's price for me so I didn't actually pay shipping.

But like other's have suggested, go to a store and try the guitars out first. Even if it isn't the guitar you are getting, try a model from the same company. Neck profiles are generally very close over entire model ranges, so it would give you an idea of if you like the neck or not.

EDIT: Like this one. It's $200, and has EMG actives in it.

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/details.cfm?listId=104461401

It probably has some wear, but so what.
Last edited by eXperiment63 at Feb 9, 2008,
Quote by Withateethuh
They kinda work?

no man, your still confused. hes talking about guitars.... actual guitars, not the strings
Quote by innertom
So much down syndrome

remember UG Community? thought so.
Last edited by mikko_9119 at Feb 9, 2008,
Quote by mikko_9119
no man, your still confused. hes talking about guitars.... actual guitars, not the strings

This still confuses me.