i use 13-56 gauge for d standard or drop-c
Guitars/Basses:
-Ibanez SZ-520QM (D-Sonic/Air Norton)
-Ibanez RG-370
-ESP ltd B-55
Amps/Effects/Rig:
-Engl E530 + 930/60 Poweramp
-POD X3L
I'd go with 10's if I were you. But note that I used to play drob B in 9's.

It's all about taste really. Depends on how much force you want on the strings. I pick quite violently so heavy gauges would prolly break in a second with me.
Yeah, those seem like standard 9's. I would go with 10's personally, with the sixth string being at least a 52. If your gonna play exclusivly in dropped tunings then I recommend even thicker than that, but only for the sixth string as it will have less tension then the rest.
Guitars are like my babies... except without that useless baby meat...
Last edited by Kindred_Future at Feb 9, 2008,
you might wanna go just little thicker. Drop C is really not that low. My band plays in drop A# and I use Ernie Ball Top Heavy 10-52 with no problem. I play a regular Les Paul. You don't need to play cable wires for guitar string to tune to drop C.
GHS Zakk Wylde custom sets. They are available in .10-.60 and .11-.70. Those are the thickest strings ever made for normal guitar.
Quote by danilo19
you don't need to play cable wires for guitar string to tune to drop C.

Your right, but it does feel alot better to play it.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by devilmaycrykid

Too heavy?
Those are too thin
9s are made for people who want a loose feel on E standard
I personal think my DR 10s are great for D standard and occasionally ill use drop c
The thing u need in mind is thats not everyones opinion
Just mine
In a more acceping note tell me what gauge strings ur using now and what tuneings u use ona regular basis
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ernie-Ball-3220-Nickel-Power-Slinky-Electric-Guitar-Strings-3Pack-?sku=101105

I play in Drop D, using those strings, and I do nicely. I've tried drop C, and they sounded ok though, I'd probably recommend going up 1 or 2 sizes from my recommendation for that tuning. Really all it comes down to is two things though:

1. Does it sound good?
2. Personal preference of string type and brand
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
i tune to C# at the moment and i use .11s, id just make sure the top string is at least a .50, and .11s arent a big jump, .12 and .13 is when your neck starts to get too much tention
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
well i like my strings tight but to the point where i could still do bends ok.but i hate when there loose and rattly then i get fret buzz
Quote by devilmaycrykid
well i like my strings tight but to the point where i could still do bends ok.but i hate when there loose and rattly then i get fret buzz

if u want it to feel like when u play a guiatr in standard with 10s
then use 11s on drop C
the low e string will feel a little looser but not to the point were it will inter fear
plus if u ever want to go into D standard u wont be hurting ur neck when u tighten ur low E
hope i helped at all?
and if u get 9s and use them in drop c itlle feel very wobbly and buzzy
personaly experienced when i was testing gauges
^+1, if you want to have some bendability, .011s are good. I use the Elixir Nanoweb Medium set (.011-.049) and I can still do bends just fine, but they aren't floppy either.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Remember that you can use a heavier set than usual for practicing, then change them to your normal set for gigs. It really makes playing feel effortless when your on stage then. I've heard of some famous players doing this, usually to build finger strength.
Guitars are like my babies... except without that useless baby meat...
ernie ball skinny top heavy bottom (10-52)
Gear:
LTD MH-1000
Ibanez RG350EX
ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider III 30W
Peavey ValveKing 112
Boss GE-7 EQ
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Digitech RP350
Zakk Wylde Boomers 11-70
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables