Ok, so me and my band will begin gigging soon, just small little shows, but hopefully in college a little larger shows so this amp i will buy will have to last me for a few years.

I play blues and jazz to hard rock. I DO NOT need a metal tone at all. My price range is roughly about 800 USD and i can go used. The tone i am looking for is a good marshall OD. I would REALLY like a to have a good marshall OD (Somewhere around Angus Young's tone). I dont really need an awesome clean tone, just something clean. The amps i have been looking at are...

Peavey Windsor- I have heard sound clips of these and i LOVE the OD on this, but i dont really need an aggresive tone of any sort, and i have heard some people say it cant get a clean tone, and others say it can. Can someone with experience verify this please?

VOX AC15 or 30(Used)- I like the cleans on these a lot, but i like the Windsor's OD better.

Peavey Classic 30 or 50(Used)- I have heard great things about these, but have also heard they can be kind of noisy. Also may not be able to get as much gain as i would like.

Traynor of some kind- I have also heard great things about these, but i heard some sound clips of the YCV50 on youtube and i didnt expecially like it, may just be the sound quality of youtube though.

Fender Super Sonic (Used)- This just looked like a cool option, although i dont know much about them and have heard they are noisy.

Ok, the only amps on the list above i have tried was the AC15, Peavey Classic 30, and the Fender Super Sonic, all on clean which they sounded good, i didnt have the chance to see what they sounded like dirty. I do plan on playing them all but i wanted to gather some opinions first as i live in the middle of nowhere and may not be able to try them all.

Thanx very much for helping, i know i have made an amp thread in the fall but i thought since it may be soon i will have to make an upgrade (from my vox ad30vt which i love) i thought i would gather more opinions. I regret to say this but right now i am leaning towards the Windsor so i can capture that OD, but if anyone has any other amp suggestions i am very open. Thanx
Epiphone LP Cust. w/ SD '59 neck and Cust. 5 bridge
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Traynor YCV50
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop SW-95 Wah
ElectroHarmonix Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
ElectroHarmonix Small Clone
We roll tonight, To the guitar bite
Angus Young/Slash tone= JCM 800

get a used 50 watt JCM 800 combo 2 channel amp 2x12.

But that all I know that has that tone because...well I use one. I don't know much about the other amps tho, but check out the 800.
dsl 401 sounds like the amp for you sir
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Peavey Classic will be great for blues. But have you thought about an Orange Rocker 30? Here's a pretty straight forward demo vid of the head version http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2znEBy3ghps but the combo sounds pretty much the same.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
You should give the Traynor a chance in person. Probably the best Marshall sound for under $800. The Fender Supersonic is a nice amp, but not worth it unless you're really going to take advantage of the voicings on the cleans channel. The Peavey Classic 50 has much more gain on tap than Angus Young tends to use. I think you'd be pretty happy with it.

I'd also look into the Mesa F50, or anything you can find used from Rivera. They're not really Marshally amps, but they're great jazz/blues/hard rock amps.

Keep your eyes open for anything Orange, too. Or if you think 15W is enough for you (you listed the AC15), you might want to look into the Tiny Terror.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I would really like a JCM800, but adding in the Attenuator will put me over my budget, i have no idea if i need an attenuator with the DSL 401, so will i? Or will i be able to get some good OD at relatively low to medium volume? Got vote for the Fender Super Sonic, three for the Peavey Classic, one for Traynors, Mesa F50, and Rivera (i havent ever tried one, if i can find one ill definietly give it a go, but the laney is over my budget here and i think orange is too in the US, thanx for the advice though.

Any one like the Windsor? i know its a halfstack and will be hard to haul around, but the windsor studio is only 15 watts (which slats reminded me, about how large of a crowd will 15 watts give?) Any more suggestions?

Edit: Ok, i will be gone for the most part of the day, and just wanted to ask, how much will a JCM800 combo or a DSL 401 combo and an attenuator all together cost appox.? I usually see DSL401 combo's on ebay more often than JCM800 combos, and i have heard that the DSL401 combos dont sound as good as the heads, is this true? Thanx again, l8r
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Traynor YCV50
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop SW-95 Wah
Last edited by Chuckleberry at Feb 9, 2008,
Quote by slatsmania
You should give the Traynor a chance in person. Probably the best Marshall sound for under $800. The Fender Supersonic is a nice amp, but not worth it unless you're really going to take advantage of the voicings on the cleans channel. The Peavey Classic 50 has much more gain on tap than Angus Young tends to use. I think you'd be pretty happy with it.

I'd also look into the Mesa F50, or anything you can find used from Rivera. They're not really Marshally amps, but they're great jazz/blues/hard rock amps.

Keep your eyes open for anything Orange, too. Or if you think 15W is enough for you (you listed the AC15), you might want to look into the Tiny Terror.

+1 basically.

going used, you're almost in boutique territory too. keep an eye on e-bay for things like thd, etc.

i don't think the windsor or dsl401 is what you want, either. if i had $800 and lived in the US, i wouldn't be going with either of those for the tones you want. windsor has basically no cleans, dsl401 is basically a budget tube amp for a premium because of the marshall badge. at least in the UK it's a decent price, which isn't the case in the US.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i don't think the windsor or dsl401 is what you want, either. if i had $800 and lived in the US, i wouldn't be going with either of those for the tones you want. windsor has basically no cleans, dsl401 is basically a budget tube amp for a premium because of the marshall badge. at least in the UK it's a decent price, which isn't the case in the US.

and a big +1 to you, sir!

The Windsor will certainly not cut it for jazz, and would struggle mightily for blues. And I think the Traynor YCV 50 is a superior amp to the Marshall DSL410, despite the fact that it sells for about $400 less in the US.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
+1 the traynor ycv 50 is a very fine amp
it is cheaper too, since marshalls and other brit amps are imported
Ok, seems there is a lot of hype around the YCV50. I am definitely going to have to try one of those, although the nearest Traynor dealer is about a 4 hour drive away from me and i almost never go there when traveling, but i will try to be able to play one.

I looked at a few more sound clips on youtube of them and i like them, except for the charvel matt (im not sure if its the amp, or just the quality of recording). Ok so, so far it looks like my best bet is the Traynor YCV50 (how good of an OD could i get at bedroom levels?). Anyone else? Thanx again for all the help, really does help.
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Traynor YCV50
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop SW-95 Wah
If you're interested, there's 3 song demos using the peavey classic.
One shows it's max gain, one shows it clean, and one shows it with a bit of OD on the clean channel. Of course, I have different amp settings (usually with alot of bass), than you'd probably use, but the gain/OD level would be around the same (I'm using a strat in all of thems)
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Slats and Dave have covered it for you. The Traynor YVC50BLUE is probably the best marshall tone in your price range, with good cleans to boot. The classic 30/50 is also a great amp, but maybe not as suited to your tones as the Traynor. The Fender Supersonic isn't worth the money if you aren't utilizing the cleans. If i was buying the amp, i certainly wouldn't buy it on the grounds that i need good distortion. In the end, i would give the Traynor a good, hard look.

Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by slatsmania
and a big +1 to you, sir!

The Windsor will certainly not cut it for jazz, and would struggle mightily for blues. And I think the Traynor YCV 50 is a superior amp to the Marshall DSL410, despite the fact that it sells for about $400 less in the US.

(here the ycv50 is almost twice as much as the dsl401!) EDIT: i should add, i've only tried the ycv40 and 20, but i'd take either of those over a dsl401.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?