Hey, i've got question, kinda stupid but, yeah

what should the distance of the bridge be from the neck? I'm toggling the idea of building a guitar of my own design and im not sure where the bridge should be placed. Is it standard in all guitars? or does it vary from guitar to guitar? is there a site i could go to to find out?

Sorry, i dont know much about all the specs and stuff.

thanks for any help
On my S470 the end of the neck to the front of the bridge is about 6 1/2 inches... idk if that helps any
Well the distance from the nut to the 12th fret should be the same as the distance from the 12th fret to the bridge... I think...
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
^ Pretty much. It's roughly that same distance to the high e saddle.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
the middle two saddles should be [scale length] - [neck length] away, if you have those measurements.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
It's hard to tell whether you're asking about the distance you will have in which to install pickups, or not. If so, you need to know your scale length for a start. Then you need to decide how many frets you want. Once you know that, you can use a fret calculator to lay out your frets and determine exactly the distance from the nut to the last fret. Then subtract this from your scale length and you will get the distance you have left on the body in which to space your pickups.

If this is indeed what you are asking, I can take some rough measurements from my guitars if you like.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Hey, thanks for all the replies, um im not sure how many frets, probably 22. I just wasnt sure if there was some standard distance the bridge was from the neck. So i need to do my fret calculations and then determine from there.
OK, let's take a couple of examples from my guitars; (keep in mind, I'm doing this using a tape measure and rounding somewhat, so don't go building from these!)

1) Strat
Scale length = 25.5"
Number of frets = 22
Distance from nut to 22nd fret = 18.25"
Distance from 22nd fret to bridge = 7.25"

2) PRS CE24
Scale length = 25"
Number of frets = 24
Distance from nut to 24th fret = 18.75"
Distance from 24th fret to bridge = 6.25"

Google 'fret calculator' and you will come up with a few. Keep in mind that you may find methods of calculating that will give you the distance to your new fret from your last one rather than the total distance from the nut to that fret. Don't use this method, as the error in your measurements becomes cumulative. In other words, your frets will be progressively further from where they should be as you go up the neck. Lay a few designs out on paper and make sure everything makes sense before proceeding with a build. Lay out a side view accurately too. You would be surprised how many people don't, then try to figure out neck angle based on bridge height too late.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Last edited by Vulcan at Feb 9, 2008,