ive been playing guitar for around a year and a half. i know my barre chords, and can change easily from where i want to go, up and down the fret board.....
all your major chords, and power chords (nirvana etc....)

but where to know?

i can only do a little (very little in fact) of soloing.
i can only do stuff like, the into from books from boxes - maximo park... and the la's - there she goes...

stuff like that really...

is there anything that can help me get further? or is practise the key!?

thanks you guys
practice is the key BUT make sure what you are practicing is somewhat challenging but not too hard. just listen to some songs that you think sound good then look up a tab and try and play it. i had the same problem as you before i found this site.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
now that you know all your chords and stuff...do you know your scales?...that might help get your solo'ing ability up a notch as well
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
Quote by guyguy
cheers!

did it work then?

you doing alot of solo work now?

not really but i can if i want to. i dont take the time to learn a lot of solos cuz i think other parts sound better or cooler laziness FTW lol.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
Quote by bobby_splax
now that you know all your chords and stuff...do you know your scales?...that might help get your solo'ing ability up a notch as well

i dont now any scales at all. i shall take a look at them though!

thanks
nows its time to delve into the wonderful world of scales! start with the minor pentatonics, then tackle the major scale. Which is of course, much easier said then done...There's a billion resources out there and of course on UG, but I find that this site: http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php helps a lot of people new to scales.

Start in the keys of Emin and Amin as they are probably the most common in rock-soloing. Do take the time to try to learn what actual notes you are playing though and not just the patterns. It will help tremendously in the long run.

By the way, it is impossible that you know ALL major chords.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by guyguy
i dont now any scales at all. i shall take a look at them though!

thanks

Yeah, if you want to learn soloing, learn the pentatonic minors. They're the easiest because they're only five notes, but also the most frequently used scales to solo. However if you want to learn scales with more of the theory-approach, learn the major scale (every thing you play is in some form or another based off the major scale). The only thing is that the major scale isn't used to often in soloing, but it will definitely help you in the long run.
DRINK APPLE JUICE
O.J. will kill you
ok i recommend you learn scales but dont only learn just scales because you wont know when to use them.

learn basic music theory and simple scales such as minor pentatonic so you can understand why these scales are such and how they are used.

read this article and go from there

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html

that article jumpstarted me out of a rut that i had been in just like you are now and i havnt looked back since
Quote by KryptNet

By the way, it is impossible that you know ALL major chords.

it's not impossible, just unlikely. I know many players who have every position of the major scale memorized, and constructing any kind of chord anywhere is child's play for them.

wish I could do it