Hey hey, happy new guitar day to all!

Today I purchased a Japanese 2006 Tokai Love Rock (LS80) for £550 and I haggled it down from £600 and got a £50 hardcase thrown in as I'm very persuasive
(RRP was £700 but dunno if that was just for show)

Pics to come tomorrow.

Quick review:
Sounds absolutely gorgeous! I mean orgasmic gorgeous, both clean and overdriven.
I was using it on my Blues Jr, and it actually makes the pre amp OD sound amazing and thick and crunchy, instead of muddy like with other guitars.

Feels great, comfy to play.

And the LOOKS! This baby's a keeper. It's a gorgeous sunburst, and the finish isn't too shiny aswell so that's always good. The grain's beautiful too
I compared it to a Gibson LP Studio and a Signature (Japanese LP copy) and the Tokai sounded much better than the Studio, and slightly better than the Signature.

Now this thing beats all Gibson LP's I've played, and at the moment, it's about 1/3rd the price. I definately recommend this!!!

And someone asked for a strat pic....
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Last edited by R_H_C_P at Feb 11, 2008,
Pics or GTFO!

Kidding! Great use of perusasion. It wasn't sexual, was it? 'Cause it's hard to let yourself forget that kind of thing.
Yea! It's such an immense guitar, I think my Strat's got some serious competition...

Nah, the persuasion wasn't sexual, although I was tempted to rub my hand on his bald head and make it squeek, but that doesn't do it for all bald guys...
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by R_H_C_P
Yea! It's such an immense guitar, I think my Strat's got some serious competition...

Nah, the persuasion wasn't sexual, although I was tempted to rub my hand on his bald head and make it squeek, but that doesn't do it for all bald guys...

*waits*

You know those pics won't post themselves, right?

Pics to come tomorrow!
Don't be afraid to care"

It's an LS80, but LS80's are usually from the 1980's
Don't be afraid to care"

Some more spam!

I also tried out a PRS SE custom, and an Orange Rocker 30.

The Rocker was a BRILLIANT amp, it's the first time I've played one, and it sounded immense, and the cleans were gorgeous too, dispite only a volume knob. And the OD was gorgeous.
The PRS sounded nice and rounded, great guitar, but not the one for me.
Don't be afraid to care"

told you japanese copies were good...

glad you like it!

those signatures are meant to be really nice too, but i've never seen one, let alone played one.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Have you tried it through your Blackheart yet? I want to know what humbuckers are like through it! Congrats pal, sounds like a great buy. I'm thinking about Tokai once I sell my Junior, but I think I'm gonny be looking at Tele's. What shop was that from?
Yep, tried it through the Blackheart yesterday, and oh your god, its amazing, especially with the OCD. Such a thick, clear and beefy sound.

UPDATE! Pics are up.
Don't be afraid to care"

ah, it's a plain top, nice!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Congrats!

Pics: check

Sound Clips: ...

So, where are they?
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
To be honest, I like the look of that strat more than the LP!

Didn't you have a thread on aging it a while ago? Isn't in a MIM? How did you get it to look like it has a nitro finish?
High as tits
All I did was dull up the finish with a bit of wire wool, then it's smoothed out by sweat and whatever else comes off me.... haha.
Most of the dings are accidental anyway.
Don't be afraid to care"

I can understand your guitar getting beaten up from consistent use, seeing as my strats look like they have been through a war zone (and well, they have been in a war zone). But why would you **** with the finish on purpose?
“Act the way you'd like to be and soon you'll be the way you act.” - Leonard Cohen

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall" - Confucius
It was way too shiny, wanted to dull it down a bit.

And by the way, Tokai LP+OCD=the sex. Seriously rules.
Don't be afraid to care"

UPDATE!

I tried the LP with my Blackheart cranked up full at a jam yesterday, OMFG, best sound ever, just what I've been after, a fat toneful overdriven sound.
Don't be afraid to care"

Nice to see you decided on the Tokai, where did you end up getting it from in the end?
Hi. We haven't met. I hate you.

kidding. That's a wicked guitar. I'll get over the jealousy some day!
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
That's a shame, I love you.

I got it from Music Ground in Manchester, I knew they had a load of good guitars there and that I could probably haggle too.
Don't be afraid to care"

It's from 2006, but new.
Don't be afraid to care"

Do they only sell on your island?

There are three on eBay, and are mad expensive for some reason. The one I want is the same as yours, but it is 799 pounds on the Tokai site, so I am guessing in a store it would be about 699 or 599? That makes it a little over $1000. Is that what you paid for it?

I really like the look of it, and a Standard Gibby is 2200 :/.
High as tits
^ nah, they're japanese, but i don't think they're allowed to sell the gibson copies in the USA (maybe canada too). you can get them here ok.

Somewhere around the £500-£800 mark, new, is about right i'd have thought. Depending on model, of course. there are some which are as expensive as a Gibson Les Paul Standard. Though of course those are vastly superior to a (new, non-custom shop) Gibson Les Paul Standard. Probably superior to custom shop too, but as I haven't tried custom shop gibbos, I can't say for sure.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Im GASing for the Tokai ALS75Q, it looks the sex, but I dont know any shops anywhere near me that has them, I guess there may be some in London (denmark str) but I didnt see any last time I was there. RHCP, your a lucky bastard.
rhcp i envy you... first new amp, now this... whats next...

Happy new private jet day... i wouldnt put you past it...

anyway def put some sound clips up with the black heart...
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Hakanku , they've got a Music Ground on Denmark St.

I've got the LS80, but I have no idea what model it is when referring to the Tokai website...

And yeah, sounds AMAZING through the Blackheart, I'll try and get some clips up one day, but they'll probably be on my phone as I can't crank the blackheart at uni, and that's when it sounds best.
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by R_H_C_P
Hakanku , they've got a Music Ground on Denmark St.

I am SO going there, im off of work on thu/fri and had nothing to do originally, now im gunna be spending my day in Denmark Str.
Nice LP dude! I remember the thread on this, good choice!
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit