me and a friend are planning to go to canada this year to see a friend of ours that i haven't seen in like 3 years, which brings me to a few questions...do you have to have a passport if you drive to canada? do you have to have a passport to fly to canada? whats the currency they use, and whats the exchange rate? how old do you have to be to get a hotel? the reason for the hotel is, i don't want to stay in their house because that would be rude i think, so if you have any answers, thanks
Member #4 of the I hate "only" threads group

Quote by snow blind
i tryed to smash a guitar once... but it just flew up right back into my face and smashed me

Quote by Kiffa
Surely you can shove a wireless into an effects board, run about, stop and make weird noises, run again.
We use Canadian dollars.

I'm sure you can find the exchange rate on Google, as it changes daily.
Lord knows I'm weak, won't somebody get me off of this reef...
where are you from? i would guess the states.
canadain dollar is doing good right now.
i dont think theres an age, but i would think 18
and yes i believe you need passports for either method of travel, i could be wrong.
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
pretty sure you need a passport to enter the border by flying or driving
Quote by the_bear_shark
We use Canadian dollars.

I'm sure you can find the exchange rate on Google, as it changes daily.

eh.
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
You do need a passport to get through the border i believe.
you need a passport either way, the exchange rate is just about even between canadian and US dollars atm, and I'm not sure about the age you have to be to get a hotel, but you might be able to get your parents/someone over the age to call ahead and book everything for you

edit: the law was recently (in the last few years) changed for passports and driving from US to Canada/ Canada to US. Although of the four or five times I've been across the border to the states via car, I've only been asked for a passport once, it is the law that you need a passport if they ask for one.
Last edited by james4 at Feb 9, 2008,
Depends on the hotel, I'm pretty sure. Canadian Dollar is abbreviated CAD.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
you don't know what our currency is?

you sir are an idiot
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
you need a passport only to fly but not to drive. you must be 18 to book a hotel room. and we have the dollar and it is pretty much matched with the us dollar
They just changed it where you do in fact need a passport to cross mexico/canadian borders
Word.
You just have to give the border patrol some maple syrup

eh?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Yes you need a passport, you need to be 18, and like said above, the CAD and the US Dollar are similar at the moment.
Quote by ckellingc
puffycow, you rock

Quote by Krieg Commando
Puffycow, you've got mojo

touch me
I think when it comes to the passport, you won't need one to actually drive IN to Canada, but to get back into the US you do.

As for hotels, I think all you need is photo ID.
hug your local pug dealer!
Quote by gatewaytobeyond
me and a friend are planning to go to canada this year to see a friend of ours that i haven't seen in like 3 years, which brings me to a few questions...do you have to have a passport if you drive to canada? do you have to have a passport to fly to canada? whats the currency they use, and whats the exchange rate? how old do you have to be to get a hotel? the reason for the hotel is, i don't want to stay in their house because that would be rude i think, so if you have any answers, thanks

You need a passport to cross any country border in the world, whether you are flying or driving. They use Canadian dollars, and i think there is $4CD to £1GBP or $2CD to $1USD. You can get a hotel at any age i believe...
Quote by Atomic_Assault
lololololol that was epic andyd93. you just made my day

PROUD EVERTONIAN
Quote by andyd93
You need a passport to cross any country border in the world, whether you are flying or driving. They use Canadian dollars, and i think there is $4CD to £1GBP or $2CD to $1USD. You can get a hotel at any age i believe...

not even close

$1US = $.99CD
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Quote by andyd93

Our rate is basically the same now...only like .03 difference...
To cross the American/Canadian border you only need your birth certificate and an alternate form of I.D. or your passport. You are not required to show a passport yet. They were gonna make so you would need one in September, but they've pushed the date back again so that you won't need one until early '09. Also, the Canadian dollar is sitting at around par or better with the American dollar due to America's economy getting ****ed up.
-Tox

ಠ_ಠ
WHOT?
Quote by andyd93

Not true.

Currently, you don't need a passport to drive through the border. Other photo ID such as a valid drivers license will suffice. They'll give you a pamphlet on how to get a passport.

They are changing the law though. I believe this year too.
Quote by GrEgUms1991
A Canadian p*ssed me off on UG today. Im not happy lol.

We please to aim... you bastard.
-Tox

ಠ_ಠ
WHOT?
Quote by GrEgUms1991
A Canadian pissed me off on UG today. Im not happy lol.

Thanks for that lovely contribution.

It's hard to believe that someone actually didn't know what Canadian currency is.

He probably doesn't know our nations leader, either. Yet every Canadian can name the US leader.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by andyd93

The CAD isn't that weak compared to the GBP. 1GBP to every 2CAD
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Last edited by _KurtCobain_77 at Feb 9, 2008,
Quote by JC13
If you haven't been here before, you're going to find it hilarious driving across the border.

Going to Canada: Eh there! How are ye' doing? What do you hope to do in Canada? Oh, sounds like fun, tell him I said hi, be safe.

Going back: License, Birth Certificate, Passport, Grade 10 Math Homework record, sir. *Checks*..So..coming back now? I guess we'll let you in..

So true.
Two people from Detroit JUST came up to visit me two weekends ago (I live in Toronto), and they only needed photo ID and birth certificate to get up across the border. Our dollar is basically the same, if not greater, and yes, you have to be 18 or older to get a hotel room.

And JC13 is right, it's exactly that way xD
I'm going down TO Detroit in a few days and I'm not looking forward to that experience. u_u
i hope they cannot see
the limitless potential
building inside of me
to murder everything
i hope they cannot see
i am the great destroyer
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
The CAD isn't that weak compared to the GBP. 2GBP to every 1CAD

WHAT?! erm... no considering the GPB stronger than the USD at the moment, i doubt it.

It's actually about 2CAD to every 1GPB. (approximately)

And if someone didnt know what the canadian currency is. *sigh*
Last edited by cowhut252 at Feb 9, 2008,
Quote by cowhut252
WHAT?! erm... no considering the GPB stronger than the USD at the moment, i doubt it.

It's actually about 2CAD to every 1GPB. (approximately)

And if someone didnt know what the canadian currency is. *sigh*

sorry, bad typo, I fixed it.
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
sorry, bad typo, I fixed it.

But you missed out the GPB --> GBP typo

What's a Great Pound Britain?
Quote by strat0blaster
HA!

Well played, my friend.

I'm going to edit that awful grammar right now

Yay, I'm sigged!!
And a grammar nazi..
Quote by sTarbuck

It's actually called the Great Pound Briton, and it's a hamburger.

I don't know.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Quote by sTarbuck

I didn't use GPB in any of my posts.
Isn't it something like 3 out of every 10 American children cannot locate Canada on a globe?

Doesn't surprise me that they don't know what our currency is...
Quote by Alterationsgtrs
While watching Scooby Doo

Velma- Jinkies, I lost my glasses
Me- Oh they're right here (while furiously masturbating)