Hey guys, i've been listening to a lot fo opeth recently and was wondering , what kind of chords and scales do they use to get that "different" sound.
Diminished, Harmonic Minor, Phyrigian
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Look into Jazz based works for different chordal ideas, that where they seem to get a lot of their structure from.
Quote by shtiming
Hey guys, i've been listening to a lot fo opeth recently and was wondering , what kind of chords and scales do they use to get that "different" sound.

they use a LOT of major and minor ninth chords, thirteenth chords. Harmonic minor scales, Phrygian mode, Hypophrygian mode, and other weird modes.

also: they don't just use powerchords, they use the whole damn chord.
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
Quote by shtiming
explain dissonance please.

dissonance is where two notes don't sound "good" together.

here's an example: play a fifth cord (an E and a B for example, aka powerchord) on your guitar or a piano. now raise the top note a half step. so if you were playing an E and a B, play an E and a C. notice: the E and B sound good together, but the E and C sound...kind of gross. that's a dissonance. the E and B are a perfect fifth, but the E and C are an augmented Fifth (#5, A5, you'll see this abbreviated a lot).

Opeth uses Diminished fifth chords quite a bit, now that I think of it. instead of raising the top note, you lower it a half step (b5, D5)
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone