what do you guys think of this
POSSIBLE comparisons to my mg head
but please keep it respectful as i think the mg head is way better than most uger's said
still not the best
so how is the jvm
thanks
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
There is really no comparison. I have an MG and i have to say my Dsl is light years ahead of it. Now imagine the JVM being light years ahead of the Dsl, see it now? I've played on a jvm and i have to say it can do almost anything and has great tone.
JVM>>>>>>>>>>DSL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MG
> means greater than...
The MG is trash, stop trying to defend it- it's the same schematic as any other small 15 or 30 watt MG (apart from the fact it's just a head, not a combo).
The JVM is good, but I personally think overpriced- I think it's trying too hard to do too much.
What genres do you play and how much do you have? Also, are you willing to buy used gear? we can help you then
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
i play mostly classic rock with some metal
i wouldn't need the distortions has much, cuz i have a ds 1 and mt 2, and a ph 3 for phasing
i would probably need a bluesy distortion something like that
i'm just thinking about this in like a couple years to buy, to save up for it
how much better is it compared to say a dsl?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Well, your Mg Head is a solid state. The JVM is a tube. With the JVM, your going to get a dynamic, saturation, and sweetness of sound that only tubes can give you. The MG's try to copy with their circuitry the way a tube amp feels, and they aren't bad, but they don't compare to the real thing. You find yourself probably getting rid of your distortion pedals. They won't compare to the tubes.

If you have the opportunity to buy the JVM at a good price, go for it an you won't regret it. Its got the El-34 tubes, which give it a nice classic sound and a master volume, which allows you to get a good sound at lower volumes. Trust me, that a nice feature, I have a 72' 50w non-master and to sound nice it needs to be very very loud.

Also you can look around for a used Marshall Head which is a less expensive alternative. Try searching craig's list for a used JMP 50w Lead Model or a JCM-800. They don't have the modern options, but work just fine.
yeah originally i was looking at a jcm 800 or 2000 dsl head, but it seems they dont' have the options that the jvm does
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon

i wouldn't need the distortions has much, cuz i have a ds 1 and mt 2, and a ph 3 for phasing

It's SO much better to get an amp with decent distortion rather than to put some pedals (and in your case, low-end pedals) in front of the amp. Unless you were using the pedals to do something a bit more specific than just add more gain, such as tightening the low end up, boosting mids, or boosting the valves into more overdrive.
Hmm...
How much classic rock and how much metal are we talking? and how heavy is the metal? Name some bands if you can
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Yeah you definitely want to buy it used if you can because the jvm is overpriced but is versatile. Actually most Marshall amps are overpriced. The Dsl is retailed at about $1400 for 100 watt head. Most people will sell their's used for around $600-$1000. I got mine for $600.

I say try out as many tube amps, or high quality SS amps as you can while you save up, so you know exactly what you want. There's many more better amps than marshall out there.
to Yngwi3, mostly classic rock as in zeppelin acdc pink floydd eagles anything you'd hear on classic rock radio, for metal mostly metallica, some megadeth, just maybe a couple plunks with metal, but about 75 percent of what i play is classic rock stuff
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
If you play mostly classic rock don't let the big Marshall name block your view, there's cheaper and many times better options for that genre out there. Give the crate palomino series a try, peavey classic 30 and delta blues are worth a look, and if you're willing to drop the bucks ac30s are damn nice.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Hm..are you in US or Europe?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Hmm...because your classic rock likings are crying out "LANEY VC" but they're really overpriced in the US...
I'm not sure, MAYBE a Peavey C30 with a *decent* dist/OD pedal in front of it...I'm not too sure though as I've never tried pedals with the C30
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by Yngwi3
Hmm...because your classic rock likings are crying out "LANEY VC" but they're really overpriced in the US...
I'm not sure, MAYBE a Peavey C30 with a *decent* dist/OD pedal in front of it...I'm not too sure though as I've never tried pedals with the C30

If it's anything like a hot rod, which I've heard it is, it should take pedals nicely
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
really it can be seen like this:

MG>Valvestate>DSL>JVM/VM>ENGL/Orange.

that > is "up to" not "is better than" btw