The band that i'm in is progressively becoming better but there is one small problem. I don't feel as if we practice enough and they really lack the seriousness to make it to the point i belive that we can make it to...we POSSIBLY could be opening for two HUGE bands that will be coming through town soon...these bands are nationally known but, im not sure that they are seriousness enough to get the practice we need to perform on the same levels as these bands. Record label guys as well as other people might be there and im just wondering if you guys have any tips for making your band be more serious about the music...if that is possible.....?
Tell the to shape up, or find new band . You might have to forget about the show, but it'll be better in the long run
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
tell them that they might get some money and chicks and fun stuff like that and they'll play like never before :P
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by avALanchE1507
The band that i'm in is progressively becoming better but there is one small problem. I don't feel as if we practice enough and they really lack the seriousness to make it to the point i belive that we can make it to...we POSSIBLY could be opening for two HUGE bands that will be coming through town soon...these bands are nationally known but, im not sure that they are seriousness enough to get the practice we need to perform on the same levels as these bands. Record label guys as well as other people might be there and im just wondering if you guys have any tips for making your band be more serious about the music...if that is possible.....?

I don't know if it is possible. Peoples attitudes towards their craft are very hard to change, but I suppose it's worth a try.
The only thing I can think of is to give them a rousing, encouraging speech, listing all the bands good points, all it's achievments to date, and what it could achieve, if only everyone just put that little bit more effort in.
Then get everyone to pray together and ask God for His support. (personaly, as an atheist this wouldn't affect me, but as you are a Christian band, it may just inspire them)
Quote by avALanchE1507
lol...we're sort of a punkish/alternative CHRISTIAN band...so thats out of the question :P

Hell, I am too, but that'd motivate me
Quote by SlackerBabbath
(personaly, as an atheist this wouldn't affect me, but as you are a Christian band, it may just inspire them)

That was probably the most selfless thing said on UG. Ever. I love you for that.

Many times what happens is that you may not feel confident about your band because you've been practicing the same way, and haven't tried changing the pace or what you do. Write a couple new songs to keep it interesting. Just remember that you don't have to play "on the same level" as those national acts. They might have went through the same feeling you have.

Out of curiosity, who are the bands?
Quote by SSDDPunkRocker
That was probably the most selfless thing said on UG. Ever. I love you for that.

Dude. I'm feeling the love.
You may want to play the show irregardless if you get the chance. It is one more thing you can add to your press kit, granted if you make a really bad impression on a couple of important people, it could be worse in the long run as well.

Honestly though, I'm not sure how much I would count on there being any one particularly important from the record label, but I also don't have very many details. Still making a good impression on the band members or their manager could really be help in the long run, though it is hard to say really. Quite a few bands got their start simply because someone in a band with an established fan base liked them.

If you play well though, someone will probably at least remember you for the next time they have a band tour the area and need an opening act.
To get your band mates to be serious I think that you should tell them in their faces the gravity of the situation, if they don't shape up and mess up the gig they'll either get a wake up call or quit from frustration. Anyway good luck!
Quote by Zeppelin08
I busted a nut because my g-string was too tight.

Quote by rexreeper99
Hendrix. he played jazz right? lol. im real bad with names.

i guess jazz could work

add me up http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/cactus/