Hi there, this is my first post.

I have a Roland Microcube that I think is great. You can get some great sounds out of it and I love the built in effects and amp models. I play classic rock, pop punk and metal and I think it's great for all of these. I like having it as a small, portable amp that I can easily take to places with me.

But I would just like to know how they compare to one of them 5w valve amps available like the Epiphone Valve Jr. or the Harley Benton model? Or any others for that matter?

I've read great reviews about both amps but basically what I want to know is what is the best "micro", easily transportable amp out there for the kind of music I play?

Any help would be appreciated!

Sam
As far as tone goes those small tubes pretty much crush anything for classic rock and blues. As far as portability, versatility, and built in fx go the microcube would win. You just have to decide what you want.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
you dont get effects, but you get great tone. they tend to be narrowed to one gain type, and often have limited controls.

try some out, and see if you can cope with the limitations
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Thanks for the advice.

I plan on going and trying some out, just thought I'd get some advice on here first.

I guess if I added some pedals the 5w valve would be a good choice.

Cheers
TOKAI GOLDSTAR STRAT (SHELL PINK)
FENDER MIJ STRAT (ARCTIC WHITE)

EPIPHONE AJ ACOUSTIC LTD EDITION

ROLAND MICROCUBE
There's also a huge difference in volume, the tube 5 watters are very loud
Ibanez RG570
USA Strat
Epi Les Paul

Peavey Classic 30
Epi Valve Jnr
Laney LV200
Boss ME50
Daddy O
DC Solid Metal
GNX 3000
If you get a 5w valve, you could look into getting an EQ pedal. It'll give you more freedom to find your tone.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
OK, I've just seen a pic of a valve Jr. next to a Strat in another post and now realize it's quite a bit bigger than the Microcube. So I think I'll stick with the microcube for it's portableness but I would also like to get a 5W valve amp.

What would you recommend? Valve Jr? Harley Benton? Any others?

Thanks
TOKAI GOLDSTAR STRAT (SHELL PINK)
FENDER MIJ STRAT (ARCTIC WHITE)

EPIPHONE AJ ACOUSTIC LTD EDITION

ROLAND MICROCUBE