Page 1 of 2
I just got my esp ltd alexi-600 today and its freakin awesome. I am currently tryin to set the floyd up but there is one problem. It didnt come with the SD blackout like musiciansfriend said it would! What should I do?
Peavey 6505+
Marshall Jcm-900 Lead 1960 cab
Jackson USA RR1 w/SD blackouts
Jackson Dominion w/SD Distortion
Jackson SLS3 w/SD blackouts
Maxon OD808
EH Small Clone chorus
Ampeg B2R
Ampeg Cabs, 4x10, 1x15
Rickenbacker Bass Guitar
Ibanez CP-9
It doesnt come with a Blackout, comes with the EMG HZ pickups, HZ-4 or something.

But sweet guitar all the same, love the shape, colour did you get it in?
Manchester United
the same sort of thing happened to me when i bought my mg. they didnt give me the channel select foot switch so i just showed them the manual and told them what happened and they went in the back and got it for me. just show them the flyer/advertisement/manual and theyll get it for you. theyr a good store im sure they wont think ur just bitching. Make sure you show them the recet tho i was lucky enough to talk to the same sales slerk who recognised me.
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
lol yeah no black outs on that guitar. the esp would have active emgs and the ltd will have passive emgs. hz or hz4
Sue musiciansfriend, then slap yourself for buying an expensive signature guitar with only one pickup and one of those stupid floating bridges.
I Like Cake
Quote by ac/dc752
the same sort of thing happened to me when i bought my mg. they didnt give me the channel select foot switch so i just showed them the manual and told them what happened and they went in the back and got it for me. just show them the flyer/advertisement/manual and theyll get it for you. theyr a good store im sure they wont think ur just bitching. Make sure you show them the recet tho i was lucky enough to talk to the same sales slerk who recognised me.

only a 'slerk' could sell an mg...
HAHAHA you bought an MG!! lols
I believe both the Alexi 600 and the higher up one have the EMG HZ-4 since that is what he was endorsed with.

Now he is with SD, but they only come in the Japanese ESP's.
High as tits
Quote by Epic_Name
Sue musiciansfriend, then slap yourself for buying an expensive signature guitar with only one pickup and one of those stupid floating bridges.

"those stupid floating bridges" as you call them are quite good, and have been around for almost 30 years now, so it's safe to say that they are not a novelty.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Last edited by SG Man Forever at Feb 9, 2008,
Quote by ashesofthewake
only a 'slerk' could sell an mg...
HAHAHA you bought an MG!! lols

lmao
Manchester United
Quote by Epic_Name

You are made of epic fail. Please...just go. I feel embarrassed for you.
Be cool.
Quote by SG Man Forever
"those stupid floating bridges" as you call them are quite good, and have been around for almost 30 years now, so it's safe to say that they are not a novelty.

I know, I've owned a guitar with one for 3 years soon. But it'll change the way he thinks of the guitar the first time he breaks a string at home or band practie (even worse on a gig). All of the trouble for intonation, changing strings etc. to do some whammy tricks. Not worth it imo. Atleast not as his main guitar.
I Like Cake
Quote by Epic_Name
I know, I've owned a guitar with one for 3 years soon. But it'll change the way he thinks of the guitar the first time he breaks a string at home or band practie (even worse on a gig). All of the trouble for intonation, changing strings etc. to do some whammy tricks. Not worth it imo. Atleast not as his main guitar.

Please, they take a couple minutes to set up. You make it seem like they are a HUGE pain in the a**.
Be cool.
Quote by thedude051
Please, they take a couple minutes to set up. You make it seem like they are a HUGE pain in the a**.

It is, trust me. I mean it's a lot of fun to use a whammy bar. But obviously you don't know what it's like at those times either that or you're just a superhuge Floyd Rose fan.

Changing string gauge is even worse. You have to re-adjuste the bridge and everything. I just don't think what he did was worth it, if he'd bought an Edwards Sv well maybe then...

And oh, changing strings take a lot more time than "just a couple of minutes". You have to tune the whole guitar again a couple of more times for good mesure and making sure that it'll stay in tune when you've locked it. Then you have to tune it a bit more with the fine-tuners.

And changing all of the strings is even worse.
I Like Cake
Last edited by Epic_Name at Feb 9, 2008,
Quote by Epic_Name
It is, trust me. I mean it's a lot of fun to use a whammy bar. But obviously you don't know what it's like at those times either that or you're just a superhuge Floyd Rose fan.

Changing string gauge is even worse. You have to re-adjuste the bridge and everything. I just don't think what he did was worth it, if he'd bought an Edwards Sv well maybe then...

Buddy, I have a guitar with a FR style trem. it takes me a couple minutes. Also, ever heard of a backup guitar? You should never go on stage with just one guitar. Always have a backup. You probably just had no idea what you were doing.
Be cool.
I love the guitar but I am gonna call musicians friend and get this figured out.
Peavey 6505+
Maxon OD808
EH Small Clone chorus
Ampeg B2R
Ampeg Cabs, 4x10, 1x15
Rickenbacker Bass Guitar
Ibanez CP-9
Quote by thedude051
Buddy, I have a guitar with a FR style trem. it takes me a couple minutes. Also, ever heard of a backup guitar? You should never go on stage with just one guitar. Always have a backup. You probably just had no idea what you were doing.

I was talking about band practice, I don't wanna have to bring to guitars just to rehearse. You're probably doing a sloppy job of changing strings (just assuming). I never go on stage with just one guitar for dog's sake.
I Like Cake
Quote by cbehrendt
I love the guitar but I am gonna call musicians friend and get this figured out.

Definitely get the one with the SD blackout. Don't settle for the the EMG HZ.
Be cool.
Quote by Epic_Name
I was talking about band practice, I don't wanna have to bring to guitars just to rehearse. You're probably doing a sloppy job of changing strings (just assuming). I never go on stage with just one guitar for dog's sake.

No, I don't change strings sloppily. Also, I use a peg winder that can hook into a drill. Even without the peg winder, it would only take me maybe 5 minutes more to wind the strings by hand. If it breaks at band practice, who cares? Christ, it takes 10 minutes at most to change if you are used to it. Which you should have been. If you are that impatient....
Be cool.
Quote by thedude051
No, I don't change strings sloppily. Also, I use a peg winder that can hook into a drill. Even without the peg winder, it would only take me maybe 5 minutes more to wind the strings by hand. If it breaks at band practice, who cares? Christ, it takes 10 minutes at most to change if you are used to it. Which you should have been. If you are that impatient....

uh, band practice
*oh first song, lets go! Oh no my string broke, the whole guitars out of tune! What do I do? I'll get my bike and go home get my Ltd and rehearse. ANNOYÌNG!*

I'm not impatient, it's just not worth the trouble for me. Just to do some whammy tricks. If you're truly creative you don't really need a whammy to fill up parts where you don't know what to play.
I Like Cake
Quote by Epic_Name
uh, band practice
*oh first song, lets go! Oh no my string broke, the whole guitars out of tune! What do I do? I'll get my bike and go home get my Ltd and rehearse. ANNOYÌNG!*

I'm not impatient, it's just not worth the trouble for me. Just to do some whammy tricks. If you're truly creative you don't really need a whammy to fill up parts where you don't know what to play.

Dude, why would you need another guitar? I never said that. Just change the strings for God sake. Like I stated before, it shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes. Or is putting a pack of strings in your pocket 'too much to handle?'

EDIT: Also, the Alexi is not overpriced. Find me another guitar with the same specs, that is being offered from a major guitar manufacturer, for less than $1000. The closest thing to it is an RR24, which is $200+ more. As for the one pickup, if you feel that is so "limiting", I think you need to look at your playing style, and not blame the pickup. 1 pickup is perfectly acceptable for metal, and many other genres.
Be cool.
Last edited by thedude051 at Feb 9, 2008,
Quote by thedude051
Dude, why would you need another guitar? I never said that. Just change the strings for God sake. Like I stated before, it shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes. Or is putting a pack of strings in your pocket 'too much to handle?'

Beacuse you allways need a backup guitar? Idk, I've heard that somewhere.

Scenario, Just slapped on some 0.11 Elixir strings pretty expensive in Europe, tuned in D. First song the string brakes. I have no more 0.11 strings, so I have to get my LTD. Why would I put the strings in my pocket? I'll put them with the gigbag/hardcase of course. It takes no more than 1 minute to change the string of a tune-o-matic or a string thru-body bridge. And as I said, changing strings isn't the worst thing on a floating bridge. And you do know that every month you'll have to remove all the strings and put on a couple of new ones, tune them about 5-6 times so that they'll keep in tune and the put on the locking nut things then fine adjust and it's just annoying. Whatever.

I think it's un-original and annoying when people buy Signature guitars. And as for the pickup, YES on pickup is limiting espically when it's an active pickup and ESPICALLY when it's an HZ-4.

Note that I do like floating trems when they work properly and the strings don't break.
I Like Cake
Last edited by Epic_Name at Feb 9, 2008,
Thing is i totally agree with Epic name, thedude is wrong. I have a trem and switching tuning takes about 45 minutes to do properly. Change strings take a while as well because the bridge unlevels, then you have to set it up again.
I am getting a guitar with a fixed bridge next just for ease, while a floating trem may have some advantages the disadvantages outweigh them
Manchester United
Ok Im going to send it back to musicians friend. I think I am just going to exchange it for the Jackson rr24 instead, after looking closer at the alexi Im not too sure about its quality. The white binding on the neck goes from white, to brown, to white again. I get a popping noise when I touch the volume knob too. Plus I am already getting fret buzz.....
Peavey 6505+
Maxon OD808
EH Small Clone chorus
Ampeg B2R
Ampeg Cabs, 4x10, 1x15
Rickenbacker Bass Guitar
Ibanez CP-9
Quote by thedude051
Definitely get the one with the SD blackout. Don't settle for the the EMG HZ.

Whats wrong with the HZ?
Nothing
Manchester United
Quote by Epic_Name
Beacuse you allways need a backup guitar? Idk, I've heard that somewhere.

Scenario, Just slapped on some 0.11 Elixir strings pretty expensive in Europe, tuned in D. First song the string brakes. I have no more 0.11 strings, so I have to get my LTD. Why would I put the strings in my pocket? I'll put them with the gigbag/hardcase of course. It takes no more than 1 minute to change the string of a tune-o-matic or a string thru-body bridge. And as I said, changing strings isn't the worst thing on a floating bridge. And you do know that every month you'll have to remove all the strings and put on a couple of new ones, tune them about 5-6 times so that they'll keep in tune and the put on the locking nut things then fine adjust and it's just annoying. Whatever.

I meant for gigs. Unless you consider band practice a gig. Also, I have to say, if you snapped a .11 Elixir, I think there is something wrong with you. You seem to break a lot of strings, and this is raising a lot of questions as to why.Regrading the rest foR your post, you just seem very inexperienced when it comes to FR's, so you assume they are "stupid". Pretty ignorant if you ask me.
Be cool.
Quote by cbehrendt
Ok Im going to send it back to musicians friend. I think I am just going to exchange it for the Jackson rr24 instead, after looking closer at the alexi Im not too sure about its quality. The white binding on the neck goes from white, to brown, to white again. I get a popping noise when I touch the volume knob too. Plus I am already getting fret buzz.....

Money well spent lol
Whether yours is an anomaly i dont know but it has certainly made me think of the quality control on ESPs
Manchester United
Quote by cbehrendt

Don't worry about the quality, Ltd usually have great quality on their High-end Models. The binding is wierd, and you could always check the wiring about the popping noise, but that's not such a big drawback. The fret buzz is probably beacuse of poor adjustments at musiciansfriend. Or do they even adjust the guitars or do they just ship them at once?
I Like Cake
Quote by thedude051
I meant for gigs. Unless you consider band practice a gig. Also, I have to say, if you snapped a .11 Elixir, I think there is something wrong with you. You seem to break a lot of strings, and this is raising a lot of questions as to why.Regrading the rest foR your post, you just seem very inexperienced when it comes to FR's, so you assume they are "stupid". Pretty ignorant if you ask me.

Stupid may have been the wrong word but they can be very unreiable
Manchester United
They dont even look in the box before they ship them. At least thats what the guy on the phone said. Even though those arent really big drawbacks, I paid $1000 for this guitar, there should be NO drawbacks.
Peavey 6505+
Maxon OD808
EH Small Clone chorus
Ampeg B2R
Ampeg Cabs, 4x10, 1x15
Rickenbacker Bass Guitar
Ibanez CP-9
Quote by thedude051

Erm, inexperienced? I've been using floating bridge guitars for 6 years, this one for 3 years. And what it's impossible to brake an .11 Elixir? No, I did it. It's annoying. And well duh, in 6 years you break a lot of strings. Enough to see why they are quiet "stupid" since all the time you have to spend on them is just so that you can make some tricks that unexperienced guitarists will find cool but anyone with a brain can make them.
I Like Cake
Quote by cbehrendt
They dont even look in the box before they ship them. At least thats what the guy on the phone said. Even though those arent really big drawbacks, I paid $1000 for this guitar, there should be NO drawbacks.

That's stupid. Why don't you just ask a nearby dealer to get one for you and then he might be able to set it up for you properly before you buy it?
I Like Cake
How is that stupid? The binding on the neck looks bad, the popping noise is bad. After spending $1000 on this guitar I shouldnt have to take it somewhere to get that stuff fixed, as far as the fret buzz goes Im not upset about that at all really, I figred I would need the floyd adjusted and the truss and what not.

I also used my musicians friend card, and a 10% discount that I got in the mail from them , thats why I went through mf.
Peavey 6505+
Maxon OD808
EH Small Clone chorus
Ampeg B2R
Ampeg Cabs, 4x10, 1x15
Rickenbacker Bass Guitar
Ibanez CP-9
Quote by cbehrendt
How is that stupid? The binding on the neck looks bad, the popping noise is bad. After spending $1000 on this guitar I shouldnt have to take it somewhere to get that stuff fixed, as far as the fret buzz goes Im not upset about that at all really, I figred I would need the floyd adjusted and the truss and what not.

I also used my musicians friend card, and a 10% discount that I got in the mail from them , thats why I went through mf.

I meant the whole "okeeey, got the guitar now ship it!" thing was stupid. How can they even call them selves "musicians friend" if they don't even set up the guitar before they ship it.

Well, you do whatever you want. I guess you want the RR type body so an RR24 would be considered pretty good in your case. I still think one pickup isn't enough for your main guitar though. Ahwell it's late in my country, I'm off to bed.
I Like Cake
Oh sorry I took that the wrong way. I agree with that, they guy on the phone told me that even if I exchange it for another alexi-600, that I could end up getting the same thing because they dont check the guitars, pretty messed up if you ask me. One pickup is fine for me, except for the emg hz, it really sounds bad honestly. The stock pups in my ibanez rg1570 sound better than the hz.
Peavey 6505+
Maxon OD808
EH Small Clone chorus
Ampeg B2R
Ampeg Cabs, 4x10, 1x15
Rickenbacker Bass Guitar
Ibanez CP-9
Quote by FRDesign
HZ's are awful pickups, while blackouts are very good.

It really isnt Aweful
Manchester United
Page 1 of 2