i believe i have the gear already well suited for this. but i need to know what it takes to make your playing style really heavy and thrashy like megadeth ya know.

i need to know what kinds of scales to use for leads and bridges and stuff like that.

i can do blues and hard rock/blues but my metal and thrash needs a lot more development, b/c when i try to play thrashy i still hear more bluesy stuff than you would in typical thrash.

so please help me!! thanx!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Palm mute your low E, scoop your mids and use a ****load of wah......

But seriously, a lot of palm muting, add some tritones and some pentatonics....I'm not really sure what makes it Thrashy exactly...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
for that thrash sounds, you're gonna wanna abandon the pentatonics...I mean thrash uses it ...but you have to ween yourself off it. Minor/harmonic minor/modes(most popular is Phrygian, will make your lead sound more thrash. Hope it helps.

EDIT: oh yeah, use a lot of half-step motion and minor thirds. I think that's probably enough to get you started!! welcome to the dark side.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Last edited by KryptNet at Feb 9, 2008,
Your going to wanna get off the pentatonics as said before (something I cant seen to do ), and practice your down picking
Member of the Metal Militia. PM Gibson_10 or AngelOfSorrow to join
Didn't Kill 'em All have a ****load of pentatonics though?
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Didn't Kill 'em All have a ****load of pentatonics though?

Yes, and that makes it rare and unusual within thrash metal/speed metal.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
Yes, and that makes it rare and unusual within thrash metal/speed metal.

I see...Now that I think about it I can't think of any other example of Pentatonics in Thrash...
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
could someone give me a link to a harmonic minor scale diagram? one that shows all the different box positions. and somewhere that shows how to use/find tritones?

all this is helpful!! thanx
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Tritones are easy, just six semi-tones away, always.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by BladeSlinger
I see...Now that I think about it I can't think of any other example of Pentatonics in Thrash...

Are you kidding?

Thrash is based off of pentatonic and harmonic minor. Everyone just says phrygian because the phrygian pattern is used in the intro solo to Fade to Black.
Dickless.
Quote by slash_rocks2005
could someone give me a link to a harmonic minor scale diagram? one that shows all the different box positions. and somewhere that shows how to use/find tritones?

all this is helpful!! thanx

Just take your favorite minor scale and raise the 7th...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
wut do you mean by raise the 7th? i assume u mean do something w/ the 7th degree(note?) of the scale shape.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Yeah. Like, in A minor, the G would have to be raised a half step to form a harmonic minor.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?