I am now learning how to get a very liquidy legato thing going on (I have neglected legato lately and have focused on economy picking) and I was wondering, what are good exercises for getting your fingers fluent and relaxed in legato playing (i.e. John Petrucci, Dave Murray style)? Also, is a very wide vibrato a good thing, or do you find it annoying, I was just wondering because a lot of my improv has a load of it...It's makes good emotive soloing but is it good for consistent soloing? Thanks in advance
Checkout Richie Kotzens stuff for fluid legato. And as for wide vibrato, its a matter of taste. I like it. But you don't have to only use it, you can mix it up with different types.
I was wondering about the vibrato thing myself but look at Zakk Wylde's vibrato and Marty Friedman, very wide vibratos and I dont think it sounds annoying. Theres some good Legato licks in the Jan 07 guitar world Shred issue from Glen Drover which could occupy you.
I think wide vibrato is just a question of taste. Some great guitarist use it for like every note. I mean look at violin players!

Other then the myriad of lessons out there, including Petrucci's left hand exercises, here's something that helped my legato. Using hammer ons with each finger one by one...obviously your weakest fingers are going to be your ring and little finger. So you can work each finger independently until it feels like its gonna fall off - then right before you finish, practice some actual legato while your fingers are still hurtin' - the next day, you'll find your fingers will be much looser. Hope it helps!
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by madmk
Checkout Richie Kotzens stuff for fluid legato. And as for wide vibrato, its a matter of taste. I like it. But you don't have to only use it, you can mix it up with different types.

Oh, I know I don't have to use it, but I just like using it and my improv has some crazy bends...by the way, would a scalloped neck make my vibrato as big as people say it would?
obviously your weakest fingers are going to be your ring and little finger

funny how that is mine strongest finger along with the index...hehe
--10h12p8h10----8-------------------------------------------------|----------------------------||
-------------[B]12[/B]--10h12p8h10----8---------------------------------|----------------------------||
-----------------------------[B]12[/B]--10h12p9h10----9-----------------|----------------------------||
---------------------------------------------[B]12[/B]--10h12p9h10----9-|----------------------------||
-------------------------------------------------------------[B]12[/B]--|--10h12p8h10----8-----------||
------------------------------------------------------------------|-------------[B]12[/B]--10h12p8---||

Here is a nice legato lick I've nicked off Freepower(hope he doesn't mind) basically you only pick on the 10 and the note after the bolded 12, on the bolded 12 you hammer on from nowhere. This is a pretty tough exercise that would help improve your legato.
For more advance licks like this checkout Shawn Lanes Power Licks;
http://www.speedyshare.com/185559215.html
David Gilmour.
Try learning the following solos...

Time
Another Brick in the Wall Pt 2
Comfortably Numb

Excellent bending/vibrato exercises.

EDIT: Bah. Misread your question. My bad.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
thanks diminishedtobme, that lick is hella fun, and MusicalMinority, I play the solo to comfortably numb AS my exercise anyways, haha
IMO you should know many types of vibrato. Different types yield different emotions, thats what I think anyway.
Quote by Slaytanic1993
funny how that is mine strongest finger along with the index...hehe

you freak!!
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Start on a string and go up using 3 notes per string on the major scale. Its easy to learn at first, then you can change the fingering to make it work for minors/pentatonics/different modes. I learned to relax my fingers by striking the open "E" string and ascending as far up as i could moving from string to string until i reached the last fret of that scale. And vwa-la, i had my pattern. Then i just learned it a few other places, starting on different notes.