where you can in jazz, substitute one dominant seventh chord for another? it was like 3 steps up or something, but i can't remember, and i never knew the theory behind why you could substitute it. could someone tell me the interval, and the theory behind why the chord can substitute?
There's only one dominant chord in a scale. Are you thinking of different inversions of the dominant chord, or something like a cadential 6-4?
Funky c, Funky do
Tritone substitution. In a ii-V-i progression, you can substitute the V7 chord for one a tritone away without disturbing it's function because the tritone interval in the chord is it's main function, and inverting a tritone gives you...a tritone. It creates a chromatic movement towards the root which some people find pleasing.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
right, thanks archeo. say, if i add a ninth or modify the tritone substitution in any way, would it screw it still work?
Try it, if it souds good then stick with it IF you add a ninth then I think it should be fine, if you modify the tritone so its no longer a tritone then it won't be a tritone sub anymore so as a tritone sub. it obviously wouldn't work. It could still sound good though, all depends on what you do!
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
right, thanks archeo. say, if i add a ninth or modify the tritone substitution in any way, would it screw it still work?

Simple answer is: yes.

I'd also point out a sort of rule of thumb. Use the tritone sub when the sub will
create chromatic root movement in the progression. For ex: The simple ii-V-I of
Dmin7 - G7 - Cmaj7 in the key of C would become, Dmin7 - Db7 - Cmaj7.
D -> Db -> C is chromatic which is also a good "pulling" motion to the tonic.