Okay. So I'm looking into upgrading to a better tube amp under $1600.

Distortion isn't important, and I play the blues. Eric Clapton, SRV, John Mayer stuff, so I need a pristine clean, with fair breakup.

I'm digging the '65 Twin Reverb and '65 Deluxe Reverb.

Any reccomendations?
You're on the right track. Either of those amps is fine. Where do you play?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
You're on the right track. Either of those amps is fine. Where do you play?

Mostly just for jams with my bud. I need the tone more than the volume. The biggest venue would be a school gym/auditorium in the near future.
You would be better off with the Deluxe Reverb than the Twin. A blues Jr would even be good if you want to save some money. Either of those amps will nail that tone. For Clapton and SRV OD sounds you might want an OD pedal like an Ibanez TS9 or Fulltone OCD, since both fit in your budget, try them out and see which you like better. You won't get usable OD out of either of those amps on their own.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
You would be better off with the Deluxe Reverb than the Twin. A blues Jr would even be good if you want to save some money. Either of those amps will nail that tone. For Clapton and SRV OD sounds you might want an OD pedal like an Ibanez TS9 or Fulltone OCD, since both fit in your budget, try them out and see which you like better. You won't get usable OD out of either of those amps on their own.

I'm picking up a TS808 and a Crybaby soon.

I have considered a Blues Jr. but am not really seeing it.

EDIT: I just remembered the Cyber Twin SE.

Last edited by JMTrio134 at Feb 9, 2008,
The Blues Jr is actually louder than the Deluxe Reverb. I have the DRRI, and love it, but it's almost exclusively for home use for me. It's too quiet. Meanwhile, the Twin is probably way too loud. If you don't need a lot of volume, you'll never get any power tube OD with the Twin.

The compromise? The Super Reverb!

It's just right.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
The Blues Jr is actually louder than the Deluxe Reverb. I have the DRRI, and love it, but it's almost exclusively for home use for me. It's too quiet. Meanwhile, the Twin is probably way too loud. If you don't need a lot of volume, you'll never get any power tube OD with the Twin.

The compromise? The Super Reverb!

It's just right.

There HAS to be some kind of tonal variation among these amps?

I know Clapton used Twins, but the Deluxe is apparently the most recorded amp ever.

I could mike it up for volume, all i care about is tone.
All three are great amps in their own right. the Super doesn't get it's fair share of accolades, IMHO. It flies under the radar while it's more famous brothers get all the credit. It's a shame. The Super is an outstanding amp all on it's own.

You should check it out if you can.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
All three are great amps in their own right. the Super doesn't get it's fair share of accolades, IMHO. It flies under the radar while it's more famous brothers get all the credit. It's a shame. The Super is an outstanding amp all on it's own.

You should check it out if you can.

I'm sure the Super has awesome tone. I'll demo it.