So i am about to order a EQ pedal and everyone is saying that i need to run it through my fx loop. The problem is, is that everything i have ever ran through my fx loop sounds like hell. Are most fx loops like that? For example on my distortion pedal it made it sound really dull.
You always put distortion and overdrive units between your guitar and amp. Things like chorus, flanger and such should go in the loop. As for EQs...I think it probably varies more on the sound you're going for. I doubt there's anything wrong with your effects loop though.

Hopefully this bump will get some more responses. I don't have a lot of experience with fx loops, but this is what I've come to understand from other UGers.
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

G&K Backline 600 + Goldline 210GLX cab
Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
Hah.
You don't put distortion in it.
You put modulating effects and EQ's in it.
Modulating effects are things like, chorus, flange, phase, e.t.c.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Running things in the effects loop makes them bypass your preamp, which is where the onboard things like EQ, overdrive or gain (depending on amp) etc. are. Things like distortion and wah are generally between the guitar and amp. Effects like EQ's, delay, phaser, flange and other modulation effects are typically run in the FX loop. It all depends on the sound you want but that is how it is typically done.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
would you put a wah pedal on the fx loop?
Gear
ESP Ltd EC-256
Takamine G-40
Boss NS-2
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Classic OD
MXR 10-Band EQ
Boss TU-3
B 52 AT-100
B 52 AT 412A

Line 6 Relay G30
Quote by teamzaius
Things like distortion and wah are generally between the guitar and amp.

wah goes between guitar and amp
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
nah, wah pedals sound best between the guitar and the amp
Guitars-
Schecter S-1 Elite
Fender MIM Strat
Epiphone SG Faded
Epiphone Sheraton II

Amps-
Peavey Valveking 212

Pedals-
Dunlop CryBaby
Boss NS-2
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9

CHECK OUT MY BAND AT http://www.myspace.com/noneofusalone
Quote by RATM62592
nah, wah pedals sound best between the guitar and the amp

I am not sure but i think in front of the amp. If you put it in the FX loop it will sound like you farted in a jug.
Quote by teamzaius
Running things in the effects loop makes them bypass your preamp, which is where the onboard things like EQ, overdrive or gain (depending on amp) etc. are. Things like distortion and wah are generally between the guitar and amp. Effects like EQ's, delay, phaser, flange and other modulation effects are typically run in the FX loop. It all depends on the sound you want but that is how it is typically done.

Wrong. The loop goes in between the preamp and the poweramp. You aren't bypassing it, unless you plug your guitar into your effects, and then the effects into the return of the loop, which would sound like crap.

Quote by Bruizer
I am not sure but i think in front of the amp. If you put it in the FX loop it will sound like you farted in a jug.

That's what "between the guitar and amp" means. In front of the amp.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
Wrong. The loop goes in between the preamp and the poweramp. You aren't bypassing it, unless you plug your guitar into your effects, and then the effects into the return of the loop, which would sound like crap.

That's what "between the guitar and amp" means. In front of the amp.

Yes....... I know....but thanks
Sounded to me like you thought "in front of the amp" was the opposite of what you said..... That's just how I saw it though.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Last edited by Reincaster at Feb 10, 2008,
Pedals that boost/distort your signal in any way should be out of the effects loop, e.g Distortion/O.D/WahWah(It boosts/cuts treble)/Clean boost etc. Stuff that alters the wavelength of your signal should be in the effects loop, e.g Chorus/Phaser/Synth/Tremolo. Stuff like Reverb/Delay/Volume are pretty generic, and can be placed in either with varying results. For example, the volume pedal I own, when I place in the effects loop, acts like an adjustable volume pedal for my amps volume, meaning it cuts the signal with no alteration to the tone. If I put it in front of the amp, it works like my guitar volume knob, cutting gain as well as volume.
ok i did make an opposite thread about my question nut this thread also sems appropriate. i have a vintage club 50 head it only has 3 jacks on it, it has the input jack, a footswitch jack and an effects loop jack. now ive come to realize that amps with effects loops have a send and return jacks. my amp however only has the one jack so how do i make an effects loop with that???
XBLive Gamertag: ecdeluxe1000 send me friend requests (make sure u put UG in the message somewhere)
You need a stereo splitter. It's like one of those things you plug into cd players and mp3 players to use with two sets of headphones, except not in stereo.

It looks like a Y cable, one is the send, one is the return.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Quote by malmsteenkid
ok i did make an opposite thread about my question nut this thread also sems appropriate. i have a vintage club 50 head it only has 3 jacks on it, it has the input jack, a footswitch jack and an effects loop jack. now ive come to realize that amps with effects loops have a send and return jacks. my amp however only has the one jack so how do i make an effects loop with that???

Can someone explain to me the point of an effects loop with one jack? I've never even heard of this happening.
Its common on many older amps. It consolidates two mono jacks into a single jack.

The Send/Return type loops have two mono outputs, right?

The single effects loop type has a TRS jack. usually, the Tip is the send, and the Ring is the return. You need to plug in one of these (but a different kind):

Then those two jacks become the send and return.

Lots of smaller practice amps, like the Microcube have this type of loop.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12