okay im going to be recording drums real soon for a my 4 track demo.

i am wanting to know is it possible to record drums with 1 mic?

if so where should i put it.

im using a sonor drum set.

heres whats on it:

hi hat
snare
kick drum
1 tom
2 tom
floor tom
crash
ride
china cymbal
cow bell
with a lot of positioning, i would imagine you could. My friend recorded every instrument with his laptop mic and it sounded great haha. It's all about placement.
Check out my music:
Sideshow

"Swing your hips, not your fists"- Cedric Bixler Zavala
Quote by SideshowRaven24
with a lot of positioning, i would imagine you could. My friend recorded every instrument with his laptop mic and it sounded great haha. It's all about placement.

oh sweet.

im recording:
guitar,bass,keyboard, acoustics all stereo out of there amps.

so ya the drums are the thing that will be recorded through a mic.

and vocals to but ya that will be easy.
Well, it is possible, but you won't exactly get a professional result. You'll have to really experiment with placement if you want to hear a good mix of the drums. Record about 30 seconds of full kit play in various positions with the mic. You could try a couple of few in front, behind the kit, above the kit, or in a place in the room where the kit sounds good.

It'll take some experimenting, but I think you'll be able to achieve a passable result.
There is poetry in despair.
thanks guys.

i will give it a try once i set up the drums again and figure out how i want it to sound.
You may want to get an omnidirectional mic and place it directly overhead the set. It's really good if you want the reverb of the room. Good luck.
No matter how good you get it, it will sound old-school. Reason is that pre-Beatles, that's how it was done. One mic in the room, placed in the best possible spot. That gave you your roomy sounding "kit in a room" sound of the 1950's. (actually, more like 'band in a room' but whatever....)

All modern drum recording is done with a number of mics and a combination of close and distant miking, with the close mics figuring quite prominently in the drum mix.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.