I got a cheap Squier Tele the other week and since then it's became my go to guitar. Despite this, because I got it so cheap I've been trying out my relic'ing skills on it, and I already had a wee head start because it's over 10 years old and well used.

Anyway, like a moron, I have been sanding it with the neck still on . There is no excuse. Careful as I was, I managed to nick a bit of the neck with the sander close to the heel are where the neck meets the body. Now I can actually feel the grain of the maple. It isn't the worst ever, but I can feel it when playing and it kind of puts me off it. How easy is it to remedy the situation? Would some kind of clear coat varnish work okay?

Go easy on me, I know I'm a tit.
I would just refinish the entire neck with a tinted lacquer, like the Fender historic RIs have. Reranch.com has some. All you would have to do is recoat it several times, and u should be fine.
Sorry, what I was trying to say was that I was sanding the body and i caught a bit of the neck. Surely it wouldn't require a full recoat!?

I should have made myself clearer.
Quote by greggybhoy
Sorry, what I was trying to say was that I was sanding the body and i caught a bit of the neck. Surely it wouldn't require a full recoat!?

I should have made myself clearer.

I agree! You could buy the water-based Poly that you can rub on ... as in, build it up to level the gouge.

I'm not sure if you have MinWax brand in your neck of the woods, it just came out about 6 months ago. This thing is so easy to apply and build up and is ideal for Oops! like you just did.

I'm not sure if wood putty is necessary or ideal. Post pics.

Good luck!