Just playing the lead for 4 minutes does not constitute a cover. I'm really tired of these so called "covers" with downloaded drums tracks and two to three guitar parts over each other. I get that it takes work, but you're not even playing a vocal line with the guitar, just a the hook and a solo. I say nay.

That probably seems harsh, and you did what you made well, but it's just nothing special to me. Drums you didn't play, rhythm and lead guitars, no biggie there.
Well, it was only a quick take. I intend to improve on it and wanted suggestions to that. And its not a downloaded drum track.
Quote by Bmm386
Just playing the lead for 4 minutes does not constitute a cover. I'm really tired of these so called "covers" with downloaded drums tracks and two to three guitar parts over each other. I get that it takes work, but you're not even playing a vocal line with the guitar, just a the hook and a solo. I say nay.

That probably seems harsh, and you did what you made well, but it's just nothing special to me. Drums you didn't play, rhythm and lead guitars, no biggie there.

I understand what you mean, but how are people supposed to make covers without downloading drum tracks? People don't have the money to buy a real drumkit just to make some covers and having fun. not to mention that it makes a ****load of noise. Most of the people here are in their teens living at home and just learning to play guitar. I understand what your saying though, but I don't think it's fair to him on this cover.
Quote by Megaman8411
I understand what you mean, but how are people supposed to make covers without downloading drum tracks? People don't have the money to buy a real drumkit just to make some covers and having fun. not to mention that it makes a ****load of noise. Most of the people here are in their teens living at home and just learning to play guitar. I understand what your saying though, but I don't think it's fair to him on this cover.

It's called mixing it up. Taking the bare bones of a track doesn't make it a cover. Changing things, adding your own touch and giving it your all makes it a cover. No one really cares if you can play a song as is on the album.
i can see your point, but most people just can't justify going out and buying drums just to do a few covers for fun. Programming drums is a great way around that, without creating alot of noise and having to actually learn how to play drums.

On topic though, the track was a little dry, i think its because of the nature of the song. Since the original is so convoluted, with y'know, a guitar track plus a strings section, plus a heavily processed voice over it all, it just needs more to it.

But what you played was good. The solo was very nice, but you really need to add some reverb and delay to make it feel bigger. And the drums need cymbals.
Quote by Megaman8411

Real drums are hardly necessary for a cover. We're musicians, get creative.
Sounds like a really obvious Fruity Loops cover. Not very interesting I'm afraid.

If you're not using real drums and using a drum machine/sampler, a big word of advice (and this goes to everyone) - make your own drum sounds! Do not try to use 'real' sounding drums, they don't exist aside from having a real drummer. I can't stress this enough.
Well it depends on what kind of music you want to cover. Using sticks, stones and a cowbell could probably work in a pop song, but I really like what you can get out of drumkit from hell.