I just got a Peavey Classic 30 and when I turn it up the tubes rattle a bit after the notes decay. How do I stop this? I prefer some way thats cheap.
Quote by thebrewfan
I just got a Peavey Classic 30 and when I turn it up the tubes rattle a bit after the notes decay. How do I stop this? I prefer some way thats cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TOMS-TUBE-TAMER-For-Peavey-Delta-Blues-Classic-30_W0QQitemZ250213334877QQihZ015QQcategoryZ38076QQcmdZViewItem
You can probably make a makeshift one yourself.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by jimmy666page666
just ducktape it man

its duct tape
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
duct tape...your tubes? Thats terrible advice.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
the tubes will burn the duct tape. and you're lucky if it just burns up. it might start a fire.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
they have a cage around em, ive seen it done lots of times, and Ducktape sounds better. I actually would ducktape my friends VK when he left for a few b/c his would rattle and it would make me really mad. It works pretty good, try it before you judge bro.

edit : ducktape the top and just a little on the side dont wrap it, use some sence...
No, they dont have a cage around them. And ill judge your ****ty advice...bro cause it sucks. And your friend should punch you in the face.

EDIT: its duct
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Last edited by HeartInACage at Feb 9, 2008,
-I guess my cusion has the cage then but it still rattled, I didnt mean ducktape the tubes themselfs, just the side of the cage, which is not to close to the tubes..
Quote by jimmy666page666
-I guess my cusion has the cage then but it still rattled, I didnt mean ducktape the tubes themselfs, just the side of the cage, which is not to close to the tubes..

Huh? You aren't making much sense. Duct taping the cage does nothing. Valvekings tend to rattle as they aren't well put together and the whole thing shakes.
Quote by jimmy666page666

...What?
???
It's spelled duct tape, not duck tape.
Also, that tube tamer someone else put up is a good idea. My classic 50 came with something like that, perhaps not as effective, but it gets the job done.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I guess I forgot to hit logout on my other computer and my little bro was on my laptop. 8th graders have better grammer them i do, but its duct tape Chirs. I need to pay more attention to the threads, i could of easily saw that. I will delete them, please dont duct-tape your tubes, that retarded. I still have lots to teach him.
they do have little cages around them, sorta but that still sounds like a bad idea
Tube cages, springs to mount them in, the can lids for preamp tubes that you can get, and the amp-builders' method of putting something like a rubber washer between the tube socket and the chassis to dampen vibrations.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Your amp is based on the EL84, which can provide great sound (Vox AC30 used them), but are quite prone to microphonics when used in a combo amp. My advice would be to get a couple spare matched pairs of EL84s and try replacing the ones in your amp until you eliminate the problem. Some brands are better than others. I have used JJ Tesla and Electroharmonix with good results.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by jimmy666page666
I guess I forgot to hit logout on my other computer and my little bro was on my laptop. 8th graders have better grammer them i do, but its duct tape Chirs. I need to pay more attention to the threads, i could of easily saw that. I will delete them, please dont duct-tape your tubes, that retarded. I still have lots to teach him.

Don't think you are fooling anyone with that, nice try though bud.
“Act the way you'd like to be and soon you'll be the way you act.” - Leonard Cohen

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall" - Confucius
I'm not trying to fool anyone, nice spam though. Why would you duct-tape tubes? Use some sence jesus.
Quote by jimmy666page666
I'm not trying to fool anyone, nice spam though. Why would you duct-tape tubes? Use some sence jesus.

God you're stupid

You cant pull that stupid 8th graders thing.

YOU USED "sence" before in your gay little rant about "ducktaping" tubes

Same person, as far as im concerned.

Quote by Vulcan
Your amp is based on the EL84, which can provide great sound (Vox AC30 used them), but are quite prone to microphonics when used in a combo amp. My advice would be to get a couple spare matched pairs of EL84s and try replacing the ones in your amp until you eliminate the problem. Some brands are better than others. I have used JJ Tesla and Electroharmonix with good results.

Wtf does that have to do with tubes rattling?
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
God you're stupid

You cant pull that stupid 8th graders thing.

YOU USED "sence" before in your gay little rant about "ducktaping" tubes

I noticed that too
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by kool98769

Wtf does that have to do with tubes rattling?

Everyone assumed at the beginning of this thread that it was simply a physical vibration of the tube, which if true I don't see how you could hear it over the amp. I assumed it was tube microphonics audible as a rattle through the speaker as the note dies. Since I've never seen a problem caused by tube vibration that wasn't due to microphonic effects from the vibration of a tube, my post has everything to do with his problem until he clarifies precisely what he meant in the first place.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Its not microphonic noise, its rattling. The sound only is heard after the notes decay and I felt them rattle.